P90X or Turbofire

Options
I'm trying to decide which one I want to get. Turbofire appeals to me because I have Turbo Jam and love it. P90X appeals to me because of the muscle building it seems to do, and the fact that I think my husband would do it with me. The only problem is that P90X seems SO far above my ability right now. I feel like I would need to do Turbofire to build up to P90X. What are you thoughts? Anyone on here who has done both? Pros or cons for either? I'm all ears!

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Why not do a hybrid?
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I honestly love both and P90x is not as hard cardio wise as turbo fire in my opinion. However the strength training is super hard! BUT it does give you options to modify so my advice is do a hybrid schedule if you are interested in both! You have nothing to loose but lbs and inches :).
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can modify P90X on each exercise. In the workouts Tony goes thru and shows you different modifications from beginner to extreme. TurboFire is pretty much all cardio and is a lot of fun (I'm not exactly coordinated enough to do it).

It really depends on what you like to do more. TurboFire's music is really good and if you like very fast paced HIIT cardio and like Chalene then go TurboFire. But your husband may not join you in those workouts as I don't know very many guys that can do some of the moves.

P90X will build some muscle for sure and give you cardio and yoga to increase flexibility each week. Don't skip the yoga if you decide on doing P90X. You'll need a pull up bar (even if you can't do pull ups yet, you can get the chin-up max/assist), yoga mat, resistance bands or dumbbells if you do P90X.

TurboFire you'll just need space and possibly a jump mat.

Brad Hall
    P90X Certified Beachbody Coach
  • arcusangelus
    Options
    I've done P90X, and while it does have a certain amount of intensity to it, it likes to remind you to do what you can. You don't have to keep up with what they're doing on the DVD, you'll eventually get there, but everything is done at your own ability/pace. That's what I found at least.
  • stepher80
    stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I guess I thought that you had to do one or the other. I didn't realize you could do a hybrid. Does P90X require you to work out 7 days a week? I like the idea of mixing the two though. I love Turbo Jam so I know I would love Turbofire but I want my hubby to join me so maybe he would do it with me on the days I did P90X and I could workout alone on my Turbofire days. That's a good idea!

And I would most definitely be modifying a lot of the moves I've seen them do. I'm SO out of shape. I've been doing C25K and intend on finishing it. I'm going to use my Turbo Jam videos to get me prepared for P90X or Turbofire (or both!). I'm doing a 5K next month (fingers crossed) and then I will probably start one of those two new DVD programs (or both). Gotta see if I can find a good deal on them b/c I can barely afford one, let alone both!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I started P90X last fall weighing almost 200lbs. I modified, I was doing push ups standing against the wall and it was HARD.... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU SET YOUR MIND TO IT!!!!! After 90 days I lost 30 lbs and almost 25 inches! I say do P90X and modify, stick with it and eat clean and you will have great results! (I have an MFP that has done Turbofire with great success)... it's up to you!
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There is a P90X/TurboFire hybrid you can do and I believe the sheet for it is on the Beachbody website for the order of workouts. It will be a 6 day a week program with one rest day.
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am doing Turbo Fire I am on week 5! Love it, but yes is very hard cardio. But as time goes on you get used to it and can push your self a lot more. In these five weeks I have lost 6lbs and 9.5 inches. I dont do it 6 days a week I vary between 3 and 5 :)
  • dedicationANDdumbbells
    Options
    Not to throw another one into the mix, but have you checked out Chalean Extreme? Like P90X, it focuses on weight lifting. The workouts are shorter and it is a great program for beginners and advanced. I have completed the program 3 times and loved it (and the results) each time. I also did Turbo Fire and loved it too. Chalene is so motivating to workout with. Choosing the right programs depends on what your goals are and if you would rather be doing more cardio or weights. Good Luck :0) I was also training for a half-marathon while going the ChaLean Extreme program. So you would be able to incorporate your 5k training in too.