Moving to Birmingham UK

Options
caylamo
caylamo Posts: 21 Member
Hi, fellow fat fighters! (mostly kidding, but in my case I am really fighting this fat)

I was just wondering if there was anyone from Birmingham UK or thereabouts that could
tell me about the gyms available in the city. I am moving from Ottawa, Canada to Birmingham and
I have been searching the internet for gyms. It looks like most places are relatively cheap for
membership per month, but they don't have pools. It's not a necessity, but would be nice.

Can anyone recommend a particular gym in Birmingham? There are just too many to choose from.
Also feel free to add me if you are a native Brummie or from the Midlands... or the UK... or anywhere
else and you just want to add a crazy student who runs, does Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred
and likes chocolate and pubs.

Replies

• richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent, I am close to Brum and would like to start running :smile:
  • charl2712
    charl2712 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not really from the Brum area but know that LA Fitness gyms also have pools and believe that they have one in Sutton Coldfield, which is on the outskirts of Birmingham if you want to check that out.

There are also David Lloyd gyms you could check out, Fitness First, DW Fitness and JJB Sports and Esportia gyms if you want to check out their websites and see if they have teh facilities you want.

Hope this helps.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Birmingham's quite a big city, do you know in which area you are going to be living?
  • funkeydunk
    funkeydunk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I live in north Birmingham, and have been a member of many gyms. Any idea what area in Birmingham, as there are literally hundresd of gyms to choose from.
  • caylamo
    Options
    Birmingham's quite a big city, do you know in which area you are going to be living?
    (also in reply to funkeydunk)

I will be living in the Selly Oak/Edgbaston area around the University of Birmingham.
    I wouldn't mind having to bus or train a bit to get to the gym; walking distance would be best though!

Also wow fast replies! Hi everybody :wink:
  • caylamo
    Options
    Hi I'm not really from the Brum area but know that LA Fitness gyms also have pools and believe that they have one in Sutton Coldfield, which is on the outskirts of Birmingham if you want to check that out.

There are also David Lloyd gyms you could check out, Fitness First, DW Fitness and JJB Sports and Esportia gyms if you want to check out their websites and see if they have teh facilities you want.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I have checked out some of their websites and found them to look pretty awesome. The problem comes when I start checking their reviews. I'm not sure whether to trust those reviews though. Haha.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    pretty sure the uni will have a gym which may be worth checking out, also the gyms local to the uni usually offer cheaper student rates so you may want to hold off and see what is around when you arrive :smile:
  • caylamo
    Options
    pretty sure the uni will have a gym which may be worth checking out, also the gyms local to the uni usually offer cheaper student rates so you may want to hold off and see what is around when you arrive :smile:

Very good point - but, the uni gym doesn't include the classes in the membership, so I would have to sign up for each class individually and pay per class. I am looking for a gym membership that has it all apparently haha, I just need the classes to be included so I can get active by doing something different every so often without having to pay extra.
  • kvg1210
    kvg1210 Posts: 35
    Options
    Also try the local authority pools - they often have gyms attached with them and you can get a leisure pass to do what you want and they are quite reasonably price - welcome to Birmingham