New Guy Here

Options
xcesive
xcesive Posts: 10 Member
A little back ground
I decided to loose weight (over 50lbs) and get in shape when I was 40. It took me a little less then 1 year, but I did it.:smile: Stoped excercising and kept on eating, the end result is I gained it all back.
Repeated the above cycle when I was 50 - 55 - 60 - and the latest when I was 64 (i've done this at least 5times). Fast forward to today, 67 years old and im at my heaviest ever 295lbs:angry:
Time to do it again. This time "SMART" and for the "LAST" time.
Started excercising six weeks ago and I was directed to this site three weeks ago. MFP is AWESOME! I never looked at calories before, always flew by the seat of my pants, how wrong I was. I learned a lot in the last three weeks, I know my goals are attainable, now its time to put in the work and Learn, Learn, Learn.
Wish me luck in my quest to be the "X FAT OLD MAN"

Replies

• Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how mush information MFP has on it!! All the people are so supportive and helpful. It's a great community to be in :)
  • khowlett1
    khowlett1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on your decision of becoming healthy! we are all on this journey together, if you need some support feel free to add me as a friend!
  • hamish666
    Options
    hi . am 64 and decided was time to get fit, am regular at gym now and getting addicted , overall improvement is very good
  • winoverhealth
    Options
    You are not alone. I just joined about two weeks ago. I never looked at the calories either. I was stunned at how much I was overloading my body. Thanks for being so brave and sharing your story. You can do this you are an inspiration.:bigsmile:
  • hamish666
    Options
    all friends in same position would be good
  • Farmerj2000
    Farmerj2000 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you can do it! Im also new on MFP and so far I have found ton's of information and support. Cant wait to see your progress.
  • hamish666
    Options
    meant any friends ha ha
  • paralegalnc
    paralegalnc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    well welcome. Keep in mind the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results so I hope you know this is a lifestyle change and stick to it. That's the hardest reality. Sucks. As we age we don't burn off stuff anymore. I see my 21 year old son eat a whole large pizza at one sitting and never gain an ounce, I so much as look at a domino's advertisement and I gain 3 pounds. Have to reprogram our brains which sucks cuz I like food. Doesn't mean I can't eat it just have to be mindful of portion control, proteins, good carbs/bad carbs, home made v processed...etc. plus exercise... UGGGGHHHH hate that part...but I added friends on here and they are supportive, plus my doctor has explained exactly what I need and has given me the tools, the scale is moving and there is motivation!

so come on!!! you can do this... add me if you want.:flowerforyou:
  • Cathcandoo
    Cathcandoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yo-Yo dieting at it's best, eh? Believe me - I hear you! I have been on every program and fad diet and I am exhausted by living my life a slave to my weight. No More! THIS is the time it becomes a lifestyle of healthy clean eating!

From your story - I know you want the same :) I have found it so much more difficult to lose weight each time I try and since I turned 40 a year and some ago...I have only been inching the scale upwards - it is depressing and embarrassing to me.

I joined this site a few days ago and I am very glad that I did. Good for you for wanting to make this a lasting change and taking the positive steps to make that a reality - I look forward to seeing your successful journey and would be happy to be an encouragement to you as you go. Add me as a friend if you'd like :smile:
  • ianlikesholidays
    ianlikesholidays Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    MFP works because it is about a permanent lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet. There's no reason why you can't use MFP to control your weight for the rest of your life..
    Good luck.
    Ian
  • noelpoitra
    Options
    Good luck!:happy: