cardio with injury

Options
does anyone know of a cardio exercise that can be done with an injury?

A week ago I did a relay for life event, and walked 11 miles(normally only walk about a mile and half). Since Monday my right ankle started to hurt, getting progressively worse as the week went on. I have tried RICE, pain meds, and some heat... Still.

I feel pathetic for not exercising, since Monday and would like to do something, just don't know what....

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Take my advice - use this time to let your body heal. Don't rush it. I know it sucks feeling like you can't do anything and you are gonna back step or not make progress but this is your BODY we are talking about....don't tick it off. The best thing to do is watch your diet while you are healing. You can control what you put in your mouth. Give it time.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Swimming? You could put a float under your feet/legs and just use your arms for the front crawl.
  • nayers86
    nayers86 Posts: 60
    Options
    Cardio with any ankle injury is going to be painful. Not too long ago I had a grade III sprain in my right ankle and wasn't supposed to start running until June, well, believe me when I say I only made it about 3 weeks without running. I currently have tendonitits in that ankle. You may not like what I say, but please heed my advice and don't be stubborn like me :smile: Start slow, and low impact. Ellipticals, recumbent bikes, slow and consistency. Once you start to feel less ache increase the intensity and time. Start to transition into more impact cardio (stairs, running) if that's what you like to do. Avoid any class cardio wise that will require you to shift position quickly or pivot. Also, try moving and stretching your ankle regularly, and stretching/foam rolling in general. Ankle tendons connect to calves, shins, and so forth from there. So if you have tight calves it could be affecting your ankle and so forth.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Swimming? You could put a float under your feet/legs and just use your arms for the front crawl.

Exactly what I was going to recommend. Depending on how bad it is you could also try going easy on an elliptical. I would stick to swimming though.