High protein, low carb

Options
Cindy393
Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
I'm relatively new here, and I'm looking for foods that are high in protein but low in carbs. Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Why?

Anything from a dead animal tends to be high protein. Nom nom nom.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    chicken!
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, cheese :)
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Beef (steak, ground, etc.)
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Lettuce

You know the deal!
  • jayadams86
    Options
    Why low carb? Being on a low carb diet for a prolonged amount of time will eventually slow your metabolism and cause the risk of muscle loss.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    Why low carb? Being on a low carb diet for a prolonged amount of time will eventually slow your metabolism and cause the risk of muscle loss.

this!!
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ninnyninball
    Ninnyninball Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    eggs, unsalted nuts, spinach, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, fish, ham, almond butter, peanut butter.

Greek Yogurt with mixed berries for a snack.

If you are eating fruit try limit it to 2 pieces a day and have a few nuts with the fruit to counter act the insulin spike!

Loads of green veg!

If you are eating carbs eat them for breakie or lunch when you will use the energy up - not the evening!

Hope this helps - I just started with a Personal Trainer and this is what he is telling me :) best of luck x
  • doogie52
    doogie52 Posts: 53
    Options
    Lower (reduced) carb worked for me on my first diet but since I am a meat and potato guy my choices are just that. Portion control is my major focus and reduce those "good treats".....:smile:
  • ChrisRS87
    Options

That's what refeeds are for.

I'm assuming your talking about leptin levels decreasing, causing the body to adapt to a lower metabolism?
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    what sort of low carb? Like atkins or like leaving out bread stuffs? Cos I had an awesome raspberry omelet this morning but with raspberries you get carbs, but yummy and healthy carbs!

And for lunch today I had 2 deviled eggs on 10 thin slices of ham. nom nom nom
  • jayadams86
    Options

That's what refeeds are for

Refeeds are good For when cutting. Most people jus want overall health and aren't looking to look like fitness models. So therefore they need to adopt a lifestyle diet. Not one were they worry about having to refeed every now and then an worry about starving themselves with no carbs. It's supposed to be enjoyable; that's what i do with all my clients; give them something they enjoy and also give them results.
  • ChrisRS87
    Options

That's what refeeds are for

Refeeds are good For when cutting. Most people jus want overall health and aren't looking to look like fitness models. So therefore they need to adopt a lifestyle diet. Not one were they worry about having to refeed every now and then an worry about starving themselves with no carbs. It's supposed to be enjoyable; that's what i do with all my clients; give them something they enjoy and also give them results.

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you, because in a way I agree with your method more, but wouldn't they rather adopt a diet to lose weight, then increase carb levels and balance it out to maintain?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: sweet potato
    cotage cheese,cheeses,milk,eggs,nuts,chicken and most meats acually! fish is super hight in protein too! :wink:
    try the quorn range of foods too that might help you out abit!
  • Chetanpayne
    Options
    I agree with so many posts here. I think balanced is the key. When picking carbs make sure they are WW and try to get foods that come out of the earth.
    I worked with a nutritionist for a time and she is highly qualified and she told me to keep it balanced. ON MFP there is a chart that shows your carb, protein and fat on a pie chart thing. Mine, so far, and I have lost 20 pounds, is always higher in carbs.
    I try to keep it low cal and the carbs vs protein just seem to take care of themselves.
    Good luck to ya!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    ANY kind of diet will lower your metabolism. That's what happens when you eat less, when you lose weight, and when you age.

I completely agree that if you're a grain-eater, you shouldn't try to go low-carb to lose weight because you will gain some or all of it back when you go back to eating a "normal" level of carbs. But if you try low-carb and find that you actually feel better when you skip the bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with adopting low-carb as a lifestyle. You are not going to lose muscle as long as you continue strength-training and eating the proper amount of protein.

As for high protein/low carb foods, I eat a lot of egg whites, beef, chicken, turkey, pork, fish, and dairy products. Nut butters without added sugar are also good, but there is not enough protein bang for your calorie buck with nuts to consider them a regular protein source, since they are so high in (healthy) fat.
  • RunFatGuyRun
    RunFatGuyRun Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try Eas AdvantEDGE Carb Control Shakes. 17G of protein, less than 3g of carbs, and they taste great.

http://eas.com/product/advantedge-carb-control-ready-to-drink

or

Eas Myoplex Carb Control Shakes. 25G of protein, less than 5g of carbs.

http://eas.com/product/myoplex-carb-control-ready-to-drink

Just to make it clear, I do not work for this company, but I do find the products benefit me in my weight loss and strength goals.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: sweet potato

Not sure if serious?
  • chefdak
    chefdak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Moderate amounts of healthy carbs is your best bet. Low carb is not good for the long haul. Whole grain pastas offer healthy carbs and lean protein. Wheatberries another good source of healthy carbs and lean protein. I love Greek Yogurt, plain 0% fat. I mix with blueberries. Makes a yummy and nutritious post workout snack.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I'm relatively new here, and I'm looking for foods that are high in protein but low in carbs. Any help would be appreciated!!

The key is finding higher protein without bad fat/cholesterol or high protein with good fat.

Hard boiled egg whites with something to dress them up (high protein and low carb and low fat/choleserol).

Chicken with the skin - people think that eating bird skin - chicken is unhealthy, but chicken skin makes it tasty and is predominately healthy fat. So it's good to keep some fat in your diet - and make it the healthy kind (nuts, plant based oils, etc) because it helps satisfy your desire to eat and you need healthy fat anyway. It will lower your LDL and may raise your HDL.

Cutting down on simple carbs and replacing them with more complex carbs is also helpful. I can send you a list...just PM me.