Exercise/weight gain dilemma

Options
Whenever I start a new exercise regiment I seem to gain weight and it just frustrates me and I end up calling it quits after just a week or two! The only way I've lost any weight is by better eating and no exercise at all. Just being more active in general. I WANT to keep active, go for runs, lift, and tone up!...but time after time, it seems to put me back...can anyone help set me on the right track?

Thank you so much!! : )

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Diet = weight loss
    Exercise = fitness

Keep in mind that whenever you start (or significantly change) a fitness program it's not unusual for muscle tissue to retain water as part of the recovery process - a good example was a 50km hard bike ride I did a while ago. Just for fun I weighed myself the morning of the ride and the morning after and, despite eating at a small deficit that day, I "gained" 5 lbs (which was gone within a couple of days).

The math is deceptively simple. Unless you're eating at a surplus (or suffer a metabolic disorder) you are not going to gain fat, period. Your weight will fluctuate from day to day (and from hour to hour). Focus on fitness rather than the number on a scale.
  • xsmilenbstrongx
    Options
    Thank you...that does make a lot of sense. I appreciate it!