Plantar fasciitis and exercise

Options
Has anyone suffered from Plantar fasciitis? How long did it take for you to be able to get back to your normal exercise routine?

Here is some background...

I started having heel/ankle pain over 2 years ago and went to a podiatrist. Honestly, I don't think she was a very good doctor b/c after the first appointment she didn't even look at or touch my foot. She never took an x-ray, etc. She just kept telling me to stretch a lot (tight calve muscles) and ice a lot. She diagnosed me with achilles tendonitis. I saw her for a few months before I got fed up with her not taking me seriously. After this, a friend suggested I see a chirporactor and I did that for a few months until it was getting really expensive ($35 3x a week) and I had an allergic reaction to a tape they put on my foot and didn't seem to care or want to do anything about it.

I then saw another podiatrist that a friend had been to and he had custom orthotics made for me. He also did not take an x-ray, and by this time my right foot had started to bother me as well. He was very rude to me on the day I went to pick up the custom orthotics - we had a disagreement over $80 (out of the $450 that they cost) b/c my insurance company was saying I didn't owe him that money (it was considered a discount) and his office was not letting me pick up the orthotics until I gave them the money. All I wanted to do was speak with my insurance company before paying them the $80, but they were very rude and yelled at me and I walked out of the office. Basically it ended up that I did owe them the money, and I paid it and got my orthotics, but refused to ever see the doctor again.

Another friend reccommended a podiatrist that her family loved and had been going to for years... and that is who I am seeing now. He took x-rays of both feet and found 2 heel spurs in each foot. He diagnosed me with the heel spurs and Plantar fasciitis. He also is not so thrilled with the custom orthotics the other doctor made me, only b/c he put a very high heel lift in them and he says that means it will take a lot longer to get used to them. Also, they only fit in sneakers, so I can't wear other shoes with them. He said we may have to end up ordering me a 2nd pair that doesn't have a huge lift in the heel. On Tuesday night he gave me a cortisone shot in my left heel (the foot that is worse) and said if it helps I can have another one in 3 weeks. OUCH! I couldn't walk at all yesterday, but apparently it is normal for this to get worse for a day or 2 before getting better. Today is much better, but it's still very sore from the shot. I hope by tomorrow it is feeling better. Someone told me if it hurt that bad it means he got it in the right spot (fingers crossed).

Up until this doctor, no one ever told me to stop exercising... or to limit what exercise I did. So, I didn't. I continued to workout. This doctor told me I can only use the bike at the gym - and I can't do anything with impact. I know some exercise is better than no exercise. But, it definitely is making me feel lazy and like I need to do more. I'm also starting physical therapy this weekend, so hopefully they will be able to help move the healing along a little faster...

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for information from anyone who suffered from this and got better... It probably isn't helping at all that I work in a lab and stand for the majority of the day. But there isn't anything I can do about that at the moment, so I'm just doing my best to rest my feet when I can.

Replies

• Inyosi
    Inyosi Posts: 19
    Options
    I have plantar fascitis as well and I'm home from work today because the pain was so intense. I haven't been to a doctor, but do have a lot of friends who have it or know someone who does and they've all said the doctors can't really do anything, aside from the cortisone shots like you had. *Shrugs*

I bought the best arch support shoes I could afford. Got the Dr.Scholl's insert and some days I tape my foot.

I've just started hot and cold therapy on it this morning, doing a lot of stretching, and taking an anti-inflammatory throughout the day.

My new favorite exercise has been going for a fast paced walk with my dog, but that has been sidelined for the past few days. I guess I'll start with the old boring stuff of sit ups, weights, leg lifts, etc etc boring etc until the inflammation goes down.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have had it in the past. It can be caused by weight gain usually. The best thing to do is get better footwear - and lose weight if you are overweight. I cured mine with a pair of Birkenstock sandals and switched to shoes with excellent cushioning and arch support (can't wear Birks all the time). I also got a pair of special waterproof sandals (also Birkenstock) for the shower too. Don't go barefoot until you cure it. Otherwise, it will take forever to heal. Cortisone shots only help temporarily.

There are some nice PF resources especially for footwear. Yes, you will probably have to wear shoes you consider ugly, but that beats getting out of bed every morning feeling like you stepped on a nail through your heel. I highly recommend you first get a pair of Birkenstocks or similar sandals and keep them by your bed and slip into them first thing.

Also, calf stretching helps alot.

Good luck. I have been there and have won the battle so far.
  • trianglgrl
    Options
    I have had it in the past. It can be caused by weight gain usually.

Oddly enough, I first got the problem at my lowest weight and I have since gained the weight back that I had lost prior to that. I think (and from speaking to my doctors) that I got it from wearing shoes with no support and from running and not stretching properly afterwards. I was running a lot when it first happened and wearing really slat shoes and standing in them all day at work. Apparently I have flat feet, so that was bad... but I didn't know that.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Been dealing with it for 10 months now. I can't walk or run for exercise, so I use the exercise bike and strength train. You can also use a rower or elliptical machine. Just don't do things that make your foot hurt. I keep making this mistake over and over.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I got plantar fasciitis last August. It was soooo bad I was on crutches for a few days. The first doctor I saw told me to do the alphabet stretches, ice it, etc. After a few weeks of babying my foot it felt better overall, but still very tender to the touch, and it would ache after a long day on my feet.
    I stopped running for about a month when it first happened, but then eased back into it.

Last January I hurt my foot (sprained my foot while standing still)... the doctor I saw for that referred me to a podiatrist. The pod I saw was awesome. She watched me walk barefoot, in shoes, took an x-ray, etc. Basically, she found out that I have arthritis in one of my feet which caused me to walk and run funny, which put extra stress on part of my foot, and caused both the funny sprain and the plantar fasciitis. She ordered me custom orthotics.

The orthotics have been wonderful. Within two weeks the arthritis pain and the plantar fasciitis pain healed themselves. I can walk for short periods of time barefoot again (at the pool) and I can wear dress shoes for an evening without major pain. I do wear the orthotics 95% of the time.

Edited for spelling
  • jonidiane
    Options
    Aside from the standard ice, NSAIDs, stretching, good shoes I've had great success in decreasing the PF symptoms with deep tissue work. A chiropractor helped me in just a few visits with deep tissue massage/manipulation breaking up the adhesions in the plantar fascia and lower legs. It hurt like *&LL while he did it, but sure made a big difference. I now just have deep tissue massage on feet/lower legs about once/month and it keeps the symptoms at a minimum. Good luck!
  • DewlyNoted
    Options
    I got this when I was running heavily (70+ miles/week) 10 years ago and haven't been able to run or sprint for longer than 10 mins without pain. It's not the end of the world. It did get gradually get better once I stopped overusing it. I've found a lot of other ways to get exercise, swimming, elliptical, fast walking and biking to name a few.

I agree with everyone that footwear is extremely important. I tend to need more arch support and Nike shoes fit me pretty well and offer the most support. You have to find what works best for you. Orthos in your shoes are also good. And stretch, but not overstretch. I pull my big toe back, towards the top of the foot and move my foot in different angles when doing calf stretches (pushing the wall). This helps loosen it if I do too much.

Best of luck. Take it easy and it will heal in time.
  • trianglgrl
    Options
    Been dealing with it for 10 months now. I can't walk or run for exercise, so I use the exercise bike and strength train. You can also use a rower or elliptical machine. Just don't do things that make your foot hurt. I keep making this mistake over and over.

Actually, the doctor told me not to use an elliptical b/c it is still impact on your foot...
  • trianglgrl
    Options
    thanks everyone... it's good to know I'm not alone in this struggle, but of course I don't wish this pain on anyone! lol
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me foot stretching exercises to do and that cleared up the PF in about six weeks (no orthotics or shots). While I was waiting for it to go away, I was only allowed bike riding and swimming/water aerobics for exercise.
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had it, and using Spenco Polysorb Total Support shoe inserts cured it completely.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Yep, me, I did do

Only think that worked for me is/was Insoles and the little boot thing you wear at night
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/HTP-Plantar-Fasciitis-Heel-Seats/dp/B0001LB47Q

I put these in my work shoes (i'm a hairdresser) and continued on with my normal exercise routine with no other adjustments. I don't wear them anymore and am virtually pain-free. I can even go barefoot now. If my feet ever feel tight or I get pain in my heel/arch I wear these for a few days and all is right again.

ETA: they fit best in my crocs because they are wide. I wear "work" style crocs without the holes. When I don't use the inserts I wear dansko clogs to work and I highly recommend them! Around the house or on days off I wear birkenstocks sandals or clogs depending on the weather and I also highly recommend them. To me, good footwear is worth spending money on, especially since I work on my feet.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I had custom orthotics made for this. They cost a fortune but they were worth it for the relief. Good luck!
  • WendyA1119
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have it now. It's very painful but I force myself to the gym anyway. I have done the cortizone shot thing and that helps. I have orthotic insoles and those help. I am not that good about stretching I will admit. Advil is always in stock in my house. However, it still flares up depending on my shoes and actvities. The Dr recommends no flat shoes, flip flops any of those. Sorry guys as I know you can't wear heels. LOL Wedge heels are best at home and out and about. Flat on any surface is bad for us. I hope you find relief.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    okay, i had PF for years, i had a huge heel spur (you could see the bump)...went to podiatrist, had cortisone shots, custom orthotics. went to chiropractor to manipulate the bones (which he then ended up fracturing my 5th metatarsal--another story)...one thing to podiatrist would keep saying is "you need to exercise and lose weight"...i was like 'yeah, right. how i can exercise when it hurts to walk'. in january 2011, i joined the boxing gym and since then i have lost 60 pounds, stretched out my calves.................AND the PF is gone! i don't even need to wear the orthotics anymore. So just when i thought i was going to walk crazy for the rest of my life---exercise exercise exercise did the trick! i know everyone is different but that is my PF story
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My PF story is long and similar to above posts so I won't tell it. But the final healing thing was rest. I ended up in a cast/crutches/wheelchair for a couple of weeks, and then a full walking cast for 3 months. Basically didn't do any exercising, including walking the dog, for another year after the cast came off. I started my weightloss journey this year and have lost 54 pounds so far, with my main exercise being walking/jogging. I always wear good shoes with my custom orthotics - always. Haven't had a single twinge and I'm more active than I've ever been in my life. My hips, however, are the new pain spot. :/
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I have it but most of my symptoms have disappeared. I'm a runner, so for awhile the dr had me stop any kind of impact exercise. It doesn't hardly even bother me now....maybe once and awhile if I ran for a very long time or was landing hard on my feet.

A couple of the things that really helped me:

I iced my foot. I put an old 20 ounce pop bottle filled with water in my freezer. Then, twice a day I would roll that bottle of ice on the bottom of the foot. That seemed to really help a lot.

I noticed that most of my pain was in the evenings (rather than mornings) so I started running in the morning. It was really helpful because I work in high heels (with my suit) during the day so the heels helped stretch that muscle.

I did not go barefoot outside or wear flip flops. I wear shoes anywhere outside (for severe cases, some dr's have recommended that you walk in the house with shoes on too).

I also slept in a night splint....but I did not find that all that much helpful.

I have some orthotic inserts but the kids have ran off with them somewhere so I don't use them. I just bought some from Heel seats...there are also some from Dr. Sholls that a lot of people like.

I run 3-4 times a week. My PF hardly bothers me anymore. I think out of all the things I have or tried, the pop bottle full of ice was the best thing

Good luck!
  • Robbie131
    Options
    Hi Ive not Suffered from Plantar fascitis ,however I have had some pretty awful Back pain problems and piriformis syndrome,I have a copy of "Sports Pilates: How to prevent and overcome sports injuries" by Paul Massey. It does cover Plantar fascitis ,Personally It has helped me overcome some really nasty problems.It cost about £10 on amazon I couldn't recommend it high enough.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I had it as well and was able to combat it without needing a doctor intervention, but I caught mine pretty quick. I medicated with ibruprofen and bought a heel supporter at Wal-greens. It was a little weird to work out in, but it worked and within 2 months it was gone and since on track now with losing it has not come back. I was also doing alot of working out on cement and black top. Once I transitioned into the gym setting it went well. I also switched to doing elliptical machine more so that the pressure wouldn't be as severe to the heel and that REALLY did help, even though your doctor said no, you just pay attention and just don't put the pressure on the heel, try and spread it out or if it gets bad, put most on toes. I did do stretches while relaxing or under the desk at work, just did the circle and point/unpoint toe.. Didn't have to ice. Hope it goes ok.:happy: :happy: