How hungry to you get?

Options
Okay, I know everyone is different but I am just curious to find out how hungry does everyone get whilst dieting?

Eg: right now, if I wasn't on a diet, I'd definitely eat because I can feel my stomach is empty (time for a glass of water methinks!). I was ravenous yesterday which was no good (starvation mode rearing its ugly head), so I had breakfat today and it is helping me keep on top of the hunger.

Basically, I guess being a little hungry when you diet is normal, but how hungry do allow yourself to get? Say, on a scale of 1 to 10?

Hope it makes sense lol...thanks!

PS: sorry for typo in title, I can't seem to be able to amend it :s

Replies

• Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options
    How much protein do you eat? I noticed that I'm nearly never hungry since upping my proteins. It makes this whole thing a lot easier, if you aren't hungry as hell every two or three hours, but perhaps that's only for me, idk
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It varies by days and time of the month.

I started exercising this week and I've been hungry in the morning but it tapers off later in the day. I'm eating something every 3 hours so If I'm hungry and I've eaten enough calories, I'll sip some tea and let myself be hungry until my next meal.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    For me, hunger is fairly moderate and ignorable at first, and it gets worse when time goes on. When I get that "holy crap I'm starving to death" feeling that won't go away, I take a diet break.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm almost never hungry. I eat lots of protein, 2 large meals, and 2 snacks.
    I don't think you need to be hungry while dieting. If you open your diary, I could give some tips.
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    Varies day to day...I can be starving one day and feel full the next. During TOM I can eat and eat and never feel full...lol
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I've been working hard at getting healthier for about 3 1/2 months now, and honestly, I'm almost never "oh dear lord i'm going to die where i sit" hungry. Then again, my morning and afternoon snacks are usually fruit, and I'll eat the daylights out of that! I eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and I'm trying to make sure I don't eat after 730pm. There are always exceptions to every thought, but I truly believe there is a lot to be said for eating enough protein. Yesterday, I wasn't hungry when it came time for my afternoon snack, so I didn't eat anything. I had yummy PB&J for lunch, so I haev a hunch that's what helped :)
  • pursuitoffitness
    Options
    I don't get hungry too often. I'm so used to eating at the same times everyday. Small frequent little things help me throughout the day. I always try and drink a water bottle first to see if I'm really hungry or just thirsty. But I mean the most I ever let myself get hungry was when I was sick for two days and didn't eat once but that's just because I wouldn't be able to keep it down lol
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    1 being barely hungry and 10 being "I'm starving" I try not let my self go beyond a 7 or 8. Being a little hungry is OK, but when you get super hungry, you might eat too much when you do eat. I generally try to eat throughout the day - snacks and meals - so that I don't get too hungry. Being a little hungry is OK and it tells me I am losing weight.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't let it go beyond "looking forward to the next meal".
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Every time I get even a little hungry, I eat - just not much. My favorite snack is 3 cashews. Kills hunger dead for me.

The longer I've been logging my food, the fewer calories I eat and the less hungry I am. It's weird.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating right, I almost have to force myself to eat enough calories. If I am eating too much processed foods or simple carbs (bread, cereal, white rice, pasta) I will feel really hungry and struggle to stay within my calorie goals.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get hungry, I just eat. I am on a whole foods, plant based diet, so whenever I eat it is something healthy. But I never just sit around hungry. When I am hungry and don't eat, I get CRANKY!!! So I always have fruit, or carrots, or some kind of healthy snack available.
  • bberg0521
    bberg0521 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you eat? I noticed that I'm nearly never hungry since upping my proteins. It makes this whole thing a lot easier, if you aren't hungry as hell every two or three hours, but perhaps that's only for me, idk

Thats a good Idea. I binge after work so maybe my afternoon snack should be something with protein.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm almost never hungry. I eat lots of protein, 2 large meals, and 2 snacks.
    I don't think you need to be hungry while dieting. If you open your diary, I could give some tips.

This!

I eat 5+ meals per day!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get hungry sometimes whether I'm trying to lose weight or not. If it's within an hour of my next meal I usually just tough it out. If not, I have a snack.
  • lulabelle56
    Options

Thats a good Idea. I binge after work so maybe my afternoon snack should be something with protein.

Yeah upping protein intake is probably a good thing, actually much better than carbs... I have only started to diet again so I guess I also need a few days for my body to adjust to having 1200 cal a day instead of the 2500+ I usually have...
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    Honestly since I've started calorie counting I am not feeling hungry at all. This is why this diet has been so great for me. Its all about controlling what you eat and how many calories it has. You can eat up to five times a day. Some food have so little calories that you can eat more then what you would normally eat of fat food. I advice to just plan your day in advance.. when and how much to eat and put it in your log. This will help keep you on track.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Yeah upping protein intake is probably a good thing, actually much better than carbs... I have only started to diet again so I guess I also need a few days for my body to adjust to having 1200 cal a day instead of the 2500+ I usually have...

1200 calories a day may be the problem. That's a really low number.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    try upping your protein.
    If I have some grilled foods in the fridge I snack on them when I am starving. If I do this when I am hungry, even late at night, I can still watch the scale go or stay down.
    If I give in and fill it with any carbs at the same times, scale goes up. Even if it is within my caloriecount.

If I am saving calories for something or have used a lot already I will fill in the space with sugarfree jello and some fat free cool whip. There is hardly anything for calories even if you eat the 4 servings the box makes :)

I just read somewhere that every time you feel hungry first drink a glass of water and then eat. Haven't tried it yet. I have a hard time choking down water.
  • lulabelle56
    Options

That's what the web site worked out for me... it's OK provided I eat really healthily...

1200 calories a day may be the problem. That's a really low number.

That's what the website worked out for me, it's OK if I eat really healthily...