Sugars

Options
I finally ate breakfast this morning! That's a positive. However, I had an apple and a banana for breakfast this morning and I'm already over my sugar intake for the day! I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do fruit sugars really matter? Am I ruined for the rest of the day by eating what I thought was a healthy breakfast?

Replies

• PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    They do matter, because your body still sees them as sugar and will respond the same way. Unfortunately, you chose like two of the worst fruits for sugars so it would seem bad. Of course, getting your sugar from fruit is much better than from refined sugar. Don't sweat it too too much if you go a little over from fruit (I think MFP scores sugar a little low myself) but maybe next time try some lower sugar fruits like fresh berries.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I finally ate breakfast this morning! That's a positive. However, I had an apple and a banana for breakfast this morning and I'm already over my sugar intake for the day! I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do fruit sugars really matter? Am I ruined for the rest of the day by eating what I thought was a healthy breakfast?

Given that you aren't diabetic, and given that you are eating in a calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Monitoring your macronutrient intake and using a little common sense with food selection will take care of your sugar intake on it's own.

In an energy deficit, you will oxidize any potential fat storage that would occur from sugar intake.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast, and you don't have to avoid fruit.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend 2 carbs for a breakfast, but instead a carb + protein. Banana + yogurt, apple + egg whites, etc. I also avoid fats for breakfast because it will slow down digestion, not what you want for your first meal of the day.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I dont believe there is a difference. Sugar is sugar. Fructose is the sugar in fruit. Table sugar "sucrose" also comes from plants. Your body treats them the same. A lot of people will say they don't count "natural" fructose towards their sugar goals. Only the "unnatural" added sugar is what they count. To each their own i guess.

Its really up to you either count your sugars, or don't. Or arbitrarily count some and not others. Or you could give your self a goal range for it, and try not to eat to much sugar packed foods that provide little other nutrients

The way I see it, your tracking carbs all ready, having sugars added there as well seem redundant if you don't have a reason to.

If you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor your sugar then ask your doctor's opinion
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Um, yes you DO need to eat breakfast. At least eat or drink something. That's not good to not eat in the morning.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend 2 carbs for a breakfast, but instead a carb + protein. Banana + yogurt, apple + egg whites, etc. I also avoid fats for breakfast because it will slow down digestion, not what you want for your first meal of the day.

I had a cup of oatmeal, half a large banana, tsp honey, cinnamon, 1/3 cup of higher fat Greek plain yogurt, Tblsp organic peanut butter a unsweetened cocoa. It's fine....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Um, yes you DO need to eat breakfast. At least eat or drink something. That's not good to not eat in the morning.

The choice of whether or not to eat breakfast is entirely personal preference unless you've got a medical reason to eat frequently.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    If your body doesn't have any issues with carbs and sugars, I don't think you need to worry about them so much. Was the breakfast tasty? Did you enjoy it? To me, it sounds fine.

I always eat oatmeal with different kinds if fruits, sometimes honey, organic peanut butter, plain Greek yogurt ( higher fat or sometimes low fat ), cinnamon, unsweetened cocoa powder and egg whites. If you personally don't have problems with sugars or carbs like oats and fruit or bread, it's fine. I mean, don't go crazy with them but just enjoy in moderation. Have what your own body needs since everyone's different.

If you want to eat more fruit than one person, go for it. If there's no physical issues with it, I don't see the big issue with what most people say about sugar, especially ones from fruit. Or whole grains. Some people can't have bread or pasta or oats because of a medical reason or they gain weight easily if they eat it and same goes with fruit, some people can't have it because they're diabetic or they can only have one serving of fruit.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

The choice of whether or not to eat breakfast is entirely personal preference unless you've got a medical reason to eat frequently.

I just think its not a good idea to start your day with nothing.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

you are wrong
    starting day with nothing means I can sleep 30 minutes more. Best thin ever happened to me!
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

This conversation should be reserved for a multitude of breakfast eating, metabolism lowering, going to hell topics that are bound to arise today.

Please stick to the topic at hand which is SUGAR.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Sugar? Someone say sugar? I like sugar. In all forms. Nom nom nom.

And I don't eat breakfast anymore. ZOMG I'm still getting lean?!?
  • alexbusnello
    Options

you are wrong

starting day with nothing means I can sleep 30 minutes more. Best thin ever happened to me!

My favorite part was when you said, "You are wrong" like you know everything. Made me laugh, thank you.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

This conversation should be reserved for a multitude of breakfast eating, metabolism lowering, going to hell topics that are bound to arise today.

Lol
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

Lol
    This isn't a laughing matter. There are bound to be a dozen or so breakfast threads and I plan to stike down with great vengancy and furious anger on those that attempt to poison or destroy my brothers.

Wait a second. I just got out of hand.

I go over my sugars almost daily as well and I belive Sidesteal to be correct. There are plenty of studdies done to prove what he said is correct. Just stay under your calories and try and eat healthy.

I'm glad you asked and I had asked as well when I started.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

^^ agree....don't hijack the thread. Stay on Topic please. And Sidesteal is correct.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

^^ agree....don't hijack the thread. Stay on Topic please. And Sidesteal is correct.

Wow, people on here are insane. You say one little thing like an opinion on a comment and people go nuts.

I'm not hijacking the thread, I simply replied to a comment with an opinion.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You still have a pancreas right?

If so, you're fine.

The only way for sugars to be terribly bad for you is when you eat such an excess of them that your body starts to no longer respond properly to insulin. This is very unlikely to ever occur during a calorie deficit.

Type II Diabetes has two completely different causes. The first is the body becoming resistant to insulin. This makes your insulin not function correctly in regulating your blood sugar. The second, which is more common, is that the body has gotten so large that the pancreas can no longer supply the body with enough insulin. Many times a person becomes very large and then also becomes insulin resistant.

If you are in a calorie deficit, don't already have diabetes, and don't eat nothing but sugars, you are totally fine.

Thank your pancreas.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Lol
    This isn't a laughing matter. There are bound to be a dozen or so breakfast threads and I plan to stike down with great vengancy and furious anger on those that attempt to poison or destroy my brothers.

Wait a second. I just got out of hand.

I go over my sugars almost daily as well and I belive Sidesteal to be correct. There are plenty of studdies done to prove what he said is correct. Just stay under your calories and try and eat healthy.

I'm glad you asked and I had asked as well when I started.

I'm just laughing at how easily people are bothered on this site.