Ankle Pain While Running/Jogging

Options
Now that I get more exercise, I am finding my ankles are really taking a beating. Three times a week I try to get moving, lately it's about an hour and half workout, 25-40 minutes of that is jogging, the rest being resistance training.

While I am jogging the mile, my ankles start to burn/ache like no one's business. I can push through it most of the time, but last night I just about stopped right in my tracks.

I know it has a lot to do with the amount of weight I am carrying (~190lbs), but does anyone out there have any tips/tricks? I have taken Advil, or something similar, before hand and that helps. Just not that much.

As a side note, it stops as soon as I stop running. It doesn't last more than 5 minutes afterward. Any others experiencing this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes. That's the best advice.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

+1
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I agree!! You'd be amazed at how much better a good pair of shoes can make running!
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about getting shoes that are made for running and are fitted for you. Well worth the $$. Also, you could consider getting the ankle support wraps that are made by ACE or similiar companies. Just some added support could help as long as you are not feeling any grinding in the joint.

Best advice is a quick visit to the doc/podiatrist to make sure there isn't anything more serious. I suggest this be the first thing you do.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    as well as checking/adjusting your running form.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    the right socks and shoes are huge! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What part of your ankle?
    How long have you been running?
    Where are you running?
    What's on your feet?

Running through bad pain is a quick road to not running at all. See a physio and get problem diagnosed and sorted.
  • AlissaMyron
    Options
    It is almost just a burn, like the muscles are tired or something.
    I haven't been at it that long, just over a month actually.
    I run normally on a treadmill, or on the side roads near my house.
    I wear thicker socks with you basic tennis shoes.
    I have had them a while, maybe time for a new pair.
    Also, I think the way I am explaining the pain is a bit over the top.
    It hurts, but it is more just annoying, well really annoying.

Any recommendations?
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for good running shoes, but also make sure you really stretch in your warm ups and cool downs. I would do some basic stretching a few times a day. Also wear some ankle strapping to support them. Good luck and take care. You don't want an injury that will set you backwards. by the way, you don't look like you weigh 190 or anywhere near!!