What to do after a "bad" day?

Options
What do you do the day after a "bad" day, when you have eaten too many calories--whether you missed a work out, went to a party, had a second helping of dinner, or just plain old binged? Do you compensate the next day (or two or three), or do you just go back to your regular eating/excercise plan?

I guess one day of messing up is not going to ruin my diet. On the other hand, I get into slumps where I will mess up for several days in a row, and I am wondering if I cut way back the day after I overeat, would that prevent those slumps?

Ideally, of course, I would never mess up.

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Say screw it all and eat all the food, everyday, for a week, until I'm sick of all the food.

Okay, kidding, kidding. In all honesty - just move on. Commit to eating good today and leave the past behind. I intentionally "overeat" at least one day a week. Although it's not really overeating...it's just more calories than I take in during the weekdays. Don't deprive yourself - build in treats to your daily eating - and recommit. Ask yourself if your choices are taking your one step closer to your goals or one step away - and then examine how you feel about that. Some days, I just don't care. I'm not in a hurry to lose the weight. I need to enjoy life too.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I go back to my regular eating plan. Since MFP already creates a deficit, unless you go over like 500-1000 calories you'll be okay, you don't need to starve your body of food because you had a bad day. Get back on the horse and keep riding.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If I go over, I'll usually cut back over the next day or two my the amount I went over.

But if I didn't track and don't know how much I went over by anyway, there's no point in worrying about it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I do a bodyweight circuit and drink two bottles of water before bed and fuss at myself because I know better and then- since if I can sabotage, I can also retaliate - i spend the next week showing temptation who is boss.
  • lovereddesert
    lovereddesert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great topic as I'm there too. Already some great suggestions that will help me.
    Definitely get support to help get you back on track. Drinking lots of water has helped me too.
  • ceeegeee
    ceeegeee Posts: 18
    Options
    I drink more water, excercise a little more and carefully watch everything I eat until the damage is undone and I am back on track.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Drink wwater and floss really well and pack your gym back; you're going back strong !!!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :huh: sleep
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I beat my kids. It is their fault. Little *kitten*.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Realize that it can't be undone and just focus on progress tomorrow.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I get back on the bus, Gus.

I don't continue to slack, Jack.

Just listen to me :wink:
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Log it, and move on.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I beat my kids. It is their fault. Little *kitten*.

Thank God I was drinking water. *wipes off keyboard*
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Nicely timed topic. I was just reading this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/16/get-over-it/
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    The same thing I do after a good day....I Pray...
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lq1wacufWr1qmib1so1_r1_1280.png
  • claismit
    claismit Posts: 21
    Options
    Say screw it all and eat all the food, everyday, for a week, until I'm sick of all the food.

Okay, kidding, kidding. In all honesty - just move on. Commit to eating good today and leave the past behind. I intentionally "overeat" at least one day a week. Although it's not really overeating...it's just more calories than I take in during the weekdays. Don't deprive yourself - build in treats to your daily eating - and recommit. Ask yourself if your choices are taking your one step closer to your goals or one step away - and then examine how you feel about that. Some days, I just don't care. I'm not in a hurry to lose the weight. I need to enjoy life too.

EXACTLY! That is exactly how I feel. I think if you constantly beat yourself up about "cheating" or overeating, you're going to just give up and binge. You still have to enjoy life and if you enjoy eating great food as much as I do... you can't just cut certain things out and expect to live happily that way! Sometimes "dieting" can cut you out from doing things you love to do and people you love to be with. I would rather lose weight eventually and gradually than see instant success if it means I can still live my life!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    have a great day the next day!

I know how you feel though. I had a terrible dinner last night. My stomach still hurts and eating just made it worse.. Im just gonna make great choices the rest of the week and work out extra hard.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    get the *** over it!!!!!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/16/get-over-it/

Have you ever told yourself:

“I’m an idiot. I ate like total crap today.”

“Why am I so lazy? Why did I skip my workout this morning?”

“I have no willpower, because I couldn’t stop myself from eating those M&M’s.”

Every day, people trying to get healthy have tiny moments of weakness, and absolutely berate themselves for being “bad.” Then, they allow that one fleeting moment to absolutely derail any success they’ve had by making additional bad decisions because “it’s too late at this point.”

I’m going to teach you a little trick today to instantly stop this behavior and allow you to continue down your path towards a leveled up life.

It’s called the “Get the **** over it” rule, and it’s sweeping the nation.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I say I used up my "blow" day and move forward. Its' about life changes. We learn from what's behind us and continue to make choices forwards.
    Burn the Fat feed the muscle is great at saying a weight loss plan is about trying and failing and trying something new :) shake is off and move forward

My biggest "AHA" moment, 11 at night, exhausted and STARVING. I had a tenderized really lean steak in the fridge for my salad so I nibbled on some. The next day.... scale was way down! Since upping my protein and eating when I am hungry instead of worrying about the time of day. I have been steadily moving down! That was when I felt like I was cheating!

The scale goes up! We learn! The scale goes down, we learn :( I stay in my caloriecount but fill up with the 100 calorie packs and cereals the scale goes up even within my count?