Everyone looks better than me at my weight??

Options
Is it all in my head? I'm 5'8" and 191 pounds. Down from 290 pounds. My waist is 38 inches and my hips are 42.5. I see pictures of people that say they are my weight, and they look SO much smaller than me.... I do have one of those stomachs that "hangs down" ... or "apron stomach" and also I tend to lose weight LAST in my stomach. But still, it can be a bit discouraging to see people at my height or even less but at my weight, and looking SO much better....

But I wonder if it's just in my head? Are these people doing more strength training than me? Do I look better than I think I do? I know my pics in my underwear don't look like these girls. I think "well maybe they have their weight distributed differently..." but no.. their hips and chest and arms and legs are all smaller than mine....

I don't give up or anything, but it is a little frustrating....

Wonder if I should up my strength training? I just don't know!!!

Not really sure what my exact question is, just looking for motivation, or something!!

Replies

• Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com/. It's a great website - just input your height and weight and it will show you real photos of women who are the same height and weight as you. It's really interesting to see how weight shows differently on different people.

P.S. Don't give up! You are doing a wonderful job! :flowerforyou:
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Muscle is a beautiful thing. Start heavy lifting. You will thank me later.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    everyone's body is different. you ought not waste time comparing yourself and just work on achieving your goals. You have already come SO far and you should be very proud of yourself!
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I say the same thing all the time! I try to remember it's how I feel and I can tell you that I feel sooooo much better. I can climb the steps in our house now without being winded and so many other things. I've stalled with my weightloss so I'm really now just trying to focus less on the number and the look and more on how I feel. Redirect your focus and bring a bright light to the positive! Good Luck!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com/. It's a great website - just input your height and weight and it will show you real photos of women who are the same height and weight as you. It's really interesting to see how weight shows differently on different people.

P.S. Don't give up! You are doing a wonderful job! :flowerforyou:

Fab idea, thanks for posting!
  • nayers86
    nayers86 Posts: 60
    Options
    Ignore everyone else and focus on you. Keep up the hardwork, it takes time to recognize the changes in your body. But be proud of your accomplishments, and never use someone else's body as the "norm".
  • AmberMahfouz
    Options
    I feel the same way! lol

I see people that are heavier than me, with bigger pant size, and I still look worse!
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    I also have this issue. I've looked at My Body Gallery and everyone at my weight has amazing flat stomachs. I started heavy lifting and the improvement is massive. I would recommend you look into heavy lifting programs such as New Rules of Lifting For Women or Strong Lifts 5 x 5
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I bet it's largely in your mind. I know I look at the clothes hanging in my closet and can't imagine they fit me (down 70 pounds), I still see myself as MUCH larger. I too have some yucky hanging skin but I am doing some strength training and seeing improvement. Keep up the good work ... you are doing fabulous!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! But Ive seen your pix and umm...you look fantastic. :love:
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You and I have the exact same body shape and I feel the same way. I weigh the same now as I did a year ago but because I stopped exercising and doing crunches and all that I have gained a lot of inches back. I think it's all about strength training and cardio for our body shape. Today I decided to fight back and get back to the more trim and skinny me. Good luck to the both of us!
  • path2a6pack
    path2a6pack Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    push ups, half pull ups, lift heavy, sweat like crazy , get a fat burner, get vitamine B12 and B6 get L-carnitine - drink lots of water - stop food after 7 PM except for plain pop corn and some water melon so you wont go insane - rowing machin - row baby row and then row some more - and do 500 abdominal crunches three days a week or 200 daily - hit it and hit it hard - and never forget to do air squats start with 100 then 200 then 300 then 400 a challnege
    ok I am tired typing
    ciao
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love this thread because I feel the same way. I'll see people posting that they're either my same size or bigger and yet they look way smaller to me. It's so funny how we all carry weight differently.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting website! Thanks for sharing. Makes you really relize that EVERYBODY really is DIFFERENT! No two bodies are ever going to be the same, no matter how hard we work to try to look like the supermodel on a magazine cover, or the pretty girl you see buying cute clothes. We need to work on looking like our best self and stop comparing ourselves to others...even though I know that's easier said than done, but it's true :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Its all in your head. You just arent there yet. We all have a perfect amazing beautiful body stuck to our skeletal system- the trick is to forget all the other humans around you and go find out what yours looks like!

How exciting to find out!!!!
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not alone... and I'm starting NROLFW in 2 weeks once my hip muscles are fully recovered. :) I think this will help wonderfully. Thanks for the body image website.. I look like most of the people that weigh 30lbs heavier than me though! But whatever, I'll get there!

Thanks for the encouragement and support :) I know a lot of it IS mental. I weigh less now than I did in 7th grade.... and I AM proud of myself!!

Again, thanks all! :flowerforyou:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It could be body fat percentage or loose skin. I feel the same way sometimes. I'm trying to focus on the change from where I was at to where I'm at now instead of comparing to other people.