Vegan protein powder

Options
For months I've been trying to force myself to drink (and like!) soya protein isolate powder shakes. I haven't seen any around (I'm UK based) other than the Holland and Barratt ones, and I've tried both the chocolate and strawberry varieties but both make me gag.

As a vegetarian who has virtually no dairy (I cannot bear 'proper' milk) I want to use the shakes to provide vital protein, but I'm struggling with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS. I've started mixing milled flaxseed with my morning cereal to add extra proetin and vegetarian omega 3

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There are a lot out there, there are even some websites that allow you to make your own mixes if you want but I don't know if there is something similar in the UK and shipping to the UK could be expensive.

I personally like hemp, brown rice and pea protein powders. Vega is one of my favorites but also I sometimes buy a hemp or hemp/fiber protein powder. I think Nutiva is the brand of the hemp protein powder. Hemp may be an acquired taste though and the pea/brown rice mixtures tend to mix better I think.
  • MTBSolo
    MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not using protein powder yet but I use Linwoods shelled hemp along with some of their other products in the range - I find them easy to add to lots of different types of food without affecting the taste. Available in H&B, other health food shops and limited range in some supermarkets.

also thread here on vegan protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506036-what-types-of-protein-do-you-use-and-recommend
  • dancer4308
    Options
    My go to vegan protein powder is Sunwarrior. You can purchase it online. It is great and the only one I'll use now!
  • daniel1hp
    Options
    I personally like nutivia hemp protein. A great site that I like to use is veganproteinpowders.net, the guy goes pretty in depth and they have a bunch of different types.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Personally, I get plenty of protein from the vegetables (especially the leafy greens) and fruit I eat. I also detest the taste of protein powders and hate the thought of putting anything processed like that into my body. In fact, it was logging my food into MFP that proved to me that I was easily getting enough protein through a plant-based diet. I don't worry about it now. If I need more protein, I just eat more green vegies, basically eating as much as I want.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the Nutiva Hemp Protein powder for about 6 months. I have nothing bad to say about it. As far as it being an acquired taste, I don't think it tastes much like anything. And then if you are mixing it in a smoothie with some fruit, I really cannot taste a bit of it.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that it seems like the most reasonably priced. I would love to try Vega but it is outrageously expensive. You can get nearly 30oz of the hemp protein on Amazon for about $15.