Can you lose weight & not end up with baggy skin?

Options
Hi

Is it possible to lose lots of weight i.e over 100lbs and not end up with excessive amounts of loose skin?

Has anyone managed to and if so how was it achieved.

What are you doing currently on your weight loss journey to prevent this.

Have just started out and this is one thing that does concern me but do not want to use it as an excuse not to loose the weight.

Thanks

Replies

• InsaneReidy
    Options
    Hey there,

not sure about this one but at the end of the day the main goal is to loose weight and be fitter right?!!!!

working out will tighten you up but if there is too much excess skin then maybe surgery is an option?

Just dont forget that the point is you want to loose weight and be fitter!!!! DONT be put off by this sole thought and deal with it when that time comes

GOOD LUCK and DONT GIVE UP!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hi

Is it possible to lose lots of weight i.e over 100lbs and not end up with excessive amounts of loose skin?

Has anyone managed to and if so how was it achieved.

What are you doing currently on your weight loss journey to prevent this.

Have just started out and this is one thing that does concern me but do not want to use it as an excuse not to loose the weight.

Thanks
    You definitely don't want to use it as an excuse. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for your skin to bounce back. Age is one of the factors in determining the elasticity of your skin. Another is genetics. The last factor is the speed at which you lose the weight. The slower the loss, the less chance your skin will get loose.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    listen to sue in az. While you are young....under 45 at least, you have the luxury of growth hormones. They will help facilitate your weight loss. Growth hormones also come into play with skin elasticity. Take it slow and exercise during your weight loss.
    Again DNA is DNA and also depends on your biochemical individuality. Keep up the good work as you are on your way to a healthy life.

smile
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 85ish so anything more I can't speak to. I lost weight slowly, had some patience, and my skin returned to "normal".
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It really all does depend on your DNA - your skin - your rate of weight loss...

Take it slowly and take care of your skin - that will definitely help. Vitamin E is amazing for skin elasticity - I buy the vitamin E oil and rub it on my problem areas each day. I believe it has helped me a lot in this area. I used it when I was pregnant and didn't get any stretch marks...
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know that loose skin can be a concern and you probably will have some. As you continue to exercise, some of that skin will shrink. If you have good genes, you won't have a problem at all. The vitamin E that jzammetti mentioned might be a good thing to start using now.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Exercise
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Im down 110 lbs and have some loose skin. Not a ton but some. I lost on avg 2 lbs per week over the past 53 weeks. Its going to happen if you carry a lot of weight in certain places (for me my gut). As runfatmanrun said, evntually it can return to normal. They say it can take 1-2 years depending on age and other things.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • mrh0rnet
    mrh0rnet Posts: 26
    Options
    If you do it slow while lifting weights, you can. I did it and have some stretch marks on my sides obviously but nothing too terrible. I don't have any loose skin though since I lifted weights the whole time and didn't go crazy doing something like losing 4-5 pounds a week. 1-1.5 pounds a week + weights = success for me. But of course, most don't want to take a slow approach when losing so...
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you do it slow while lifting weights, you can. I did it and have some stretch marks on my sides obviously but nothing too terrible. I don't have any loose skin though since I lifted weights the whole time and didn't go crazy doing something like losing 4-5 pounds a week. 1-1.5 pounds a week + weights = success for me. But of course, most don't want to take a slow approach when losing so...

I need to lose 100 lbs, is Tuesday ok for you? :P That is one thing I wish I would have done, was light weight training through all of this. 53 weeks with basically no lifting shows. lol

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • justajiffy
    Options
    Great advice there - thank you - and can I say some very impressive and inspiring losses.

I won't let it put me off as I need to be fitter and healthier - one side of the family history is early heart attacks and death but on the other the women in particular live to a ripe old age with great skin.

It was mainly that I know someone quite young who lost alot of weight and went on to have extensive surgery which has taken her months and months to get over - it is not an option I could see me considering really (coward for a start!) - and so as I am just starting out thought it would be a good idea to see how others haved coped.

Thank you all again
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Time is also your friend. When I first lost weight, I had a lot of saggy skin right off the bat, but then as time went by, it got better and better.

Definitely don't let it discourage you.