30 Day Shred! Need some advice!

Options
I have 3 days left on the Shred! I am SO excited to be done with this and take my after pics!

However, I was wondering what I should do once I'm finished. I have JM's Ripped in 30 which I thought about doing next, but now I'm second guessing that. I feel like I'm not as strong as I need to be (mainly because anything in a plank still kills me) and therefore unprepared for the pain that RI30 will bring. I thought about a second round of the Shred but I'm just curious to know what others suggest. So what have y'all done? :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I would try the ripped in 30... I mean who knows you may surprise yourself.. never 2nd guess yourself.. always believe you can do anything
  • SmooMurd
    Options
    Hi! When I first did 30 Day Shred I followed the begginer's example (the blond woman), then when I was finished I repeated it trying to follow the advanced example (the african american woman). I also upped my weights from 5lbs to 7lbs and that made a huge difference. Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you are bored, try something new. After I did 30 DS the first time then I started rotating 6 week 6 pack and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. Now I am doing 30DS again, and some days I do BFBM.
  • katiegregory23
    katiegregory23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also have 3 days left! I'm moving on to RI30 because I'm starting to get bored with the shred, and from what I've read it seems to be the next progression in her programs. I'm excited I've been able to stick with it, but I'm also happy to start something new. Some of the moves are still difficult for me ( i.e.I won't even attempt jumping lunges because I'm afraid of screwing up my knee, so I just do the alternating lunges with weights), but I plan to just modify as neccessary for RI30. If you are still enjoying the shred, you could always go back and do it again with heavier weights/higher intensity. Just find something you'll like. Great job on sticking with it!
  • Jmoss4852
    Jmoss4852 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would try the ripped in 30... I mean who knows you may surprise yourself.. never 2nd guess yourself.. always believe you can do anything

Thanks! I do that a lot... I may give it a try seeing as thats what most people do, it's just those darn planks that kill me and I've heard there is a LOT of plank moves in RI30. But, I'm positive it would help me improve.
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    Hi! When I first did 30 Day Shred I followed the begginer's example (the blond woman), then when I was finished I repeated it trying to follow the advanced example (the african american woman). I also upped my weights from 5lbs to 7lbs and that made a huge difference. Good luck!

I upped my weights from 2lbs to 3lbs when I started level 3 and I typically follow the advanced moves for at least one of the reps (mainly plank moves) and then will have to do the second reps in the beginner form. RI30 will be a challenge but I think I'm up for it if I just really push myself!
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    If you are bored, try something new. After I did 30 DS the first time then I started rotating 6 week 6 pack and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. Now I am doing 30DS again, and some days I do BFBM.

I'm not really bored with the Shred, just comfortable with it. I still struggle with plank moves but I think RI30 will challenge me and I'll get past that. I mean, it's about pushing yourself, right?

Do you like 6 Week 6 Pack? I've heard good things and would like to buy it eventually. Maybe as a reward for finishing RI30? :)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    I also have 3 days left! I'm moving on to RI30 because I'm starting to get bored with the shred, and from what I've read it seems to be the next progression in her programs. I'm excited I've been able to stick with it, but I'm also happy to start something new. Some of the moves are still difficult for me ( i.e.I won't even attempt jumping lunges because I'm afraid of screwing up my knee, so I just do the alternating lunges with weights), but I plan to just modify as neccessary for RI30. If you are still enjoying the shred, you could always go back and do it again with heavier weights/higher intensity. Just find something you'll like. Great job on sticking with it!

Yay for only 3 days left! Has it really been 30 days already? I think I'm going to give RI30 a go. I've watched/attempted the first level which isn't that bad, but I'm kind of scared to see the other levels! Lol.

I HATE the jumping lunges. I definitely do the modified version because I'm not too fond of the idea of tearing my knees up. We will see how RI30 goes and then go from there. I could always alternate between the videos for awhile. I just really like the idea of completing another "30 day challenge."

Congrats on sticking with the Shred and good luck with RI30! I hope you see fabulous results! :)
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the RI30 but I think you should go for it. I noticed a huge difference in my arms after doing JM 30 Day Shred and then I did a few days of the 6 week 6 pack, but now I moved onto Insanity. If it wasn't for those planks and pushups I wouldn't be getting through Insanity. You arm muscles will build up with those videos and your upper body strength. When I stated I could barely do three push ups and now I'm doing a crap load on Insanity. Just keep reminding yourself when it hurts that you're building those muscles. Remember sweat is your fat crying.
  • katiegregory23
    katiegregory23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, too! I also love the "30 day challenge" aspect because it seems like such an attainable goal. I never thought I would like Jillian Michael's workouts (I enjoy the gym, but can't go because of kids and timing issues), but this has done awesome things to my body already!
  • robersonj
    robersonj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would perhaps try the new video? I have attempted 30 Day Shred twice, but I got bored with the repetition. I have also tried Power 90, but apparently I get bored too fast. I then skipped it all and went to P90X. It's difficult, and I can't do all the reps on most videos, but I do most, some at the modified, and some at the advanced... and there's something different every day of the week. My point in saying that is I am quite out of shape, and I am doing P90X. If you have finished 30DS, I'm sure you can do RI30. It may be a little difficult at first, but you will be able to build up your strength as you go along :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I'm not really bored with the Shred, just comfortable with it. I still struggle with plank moves but I think RI30 will challenge me and I'll get past that. I mean, it's about pushing yourself, right?

Do you like 6 Week 6 Pack? I've heard good things and would like to buy it eventually. Maybe as a reward for finishing RI30? :)

I like 6 week 6 pack. The only thing I cannot do at all in that one is a side plank where you have all your weight balanced on the side of your foot, and one arm. I have an old shoulder injury that just makes it pretty impossible. I substitute another move instead.
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    I haven't done the RI30 but I think you should go for it. I noticed a huge difference in my arms after doing JM 30 Day Shred and then I did a few days of the 6 week 6 pack, but now I moved onto Insanity. If it wasn't for those planks and pushups I wouldn't be getting through Insanity. You arm muscles will build up with those videos and your upper body strength. When I stated I could barely do three push ups and now I'm doing a crap load on Insanity. Just keep reminding yourself when it hurts that you're building those muscles. Remember sweat is your fat crying.

That's great motivation! Insanity is my ultimate goal. I watch the infomercials all the time and I'm like, "One day!" Lol. I am just going to take it one day at a time though. I'll get there eventually. Thank you! :)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options

That's great motivation! Insanity is my ultimate goal. I watch the infomercials all the time and I'm like, "One day!" Lol. I am just going to take it one day at a time though. I'll get there eventually. Thank you! :)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    Good luck to you, too! I also love the "30 day challenge" aspect because it seems like such an attainable goal. I never thought I would like Jillian Michael's workouts (I enjoy the gym, but can't go because of kids and timing issues), but this has done awesome things to my body already!

I know what you mean! I never could really afford a gym membership anyway, but I definitely don't need one with her DVDs. I had seen her on tv before and never really liked her personality but now, I LOVE her! She is awesome and knows what she is talking about!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When I finished the 30 DS I went right into the Ripped in 30. And you are right, the planks are killers. But I was surprised, I just kept at them pretty soon I was ok with them.

Because I knew that the planks were my weakness, I would do the plank pose and hold it for 60 seconds (or as long as I could) in the morning and then did the whole workout at night. It didn't take long before I was able to kick those planks in their keester :laugh:

You can do it. Good Luck!
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    I would perhaps try the new video? I have attempted 30 Day Shred twice, but I got bored with the repetition. I have also tried Power 90, but apparently I get bored too fast. I then skipped it all and went to P90X. It's difficult, and I can't do all the reps on most videos, but I do most, some at the modified, and some at the advanced... and there's something different every day of the week. My point in saying that is I am quite out of shape, and I am doing P90X. If you have finished 30DS, I'm sure you can do RI30. It may be a little difficult at first, but you will be able to build up your strength as you go along :)

Thanks for the motivation and WTG for doing P90X. That is a HUGE challenge and you're sure to get amazing results! After all the advice I've gotten from this post so far, I'm going to do RI30 right after the Shred. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. Jillian does great things for me! :)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    When I finished the 30 DS I went right into the Ripped in 30. And you are right, the planks are killers. But I was surprised, I just kept at them pretty soon I was ok with them.

Because I knew that the planks were my weakness, I would do the plank pose and hold it for 60 seconds (or as long as I could) in the morning and then did the whole workout at night. It didn't take long before I was able to kick those planks in their keester :laugh:

You can do it. Good Luck!

Thanks! I may take your idea and do the same. Anything to make them get easier! I can't stand the things because I fee so sick after I get done with the move and it throws the rest of the circuit off after that. What was the hardest level for you during RI30?