Looking for some guidance on my big night out

Options
Tonight my boyfriend is taking me out on a special romantic dinner date for our 1 year anniversary. My feelings of gratitude, happiness and love are currently being trampled by confusion, anxiety and fear. All the negative emotions have nothing to do with him or our wonderful relationship but rather my rocky relationship with food and my struggle with my weight. I have lost 11 pounds in the past two weeks by following a high protein low carb low fat diet that includes extra lean protein like fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, cottage cheese, non starchy vegetables and minimal fruit to keep sugar low and I have been drinking nothing but water. I don't have any complaints about the diet on a day to day basis, it is easy to work with and make interesting plus I get to eat a lot of food, just the right stuff but I do face a big challenge on days like today when I have something really special to me to celebrate. While dieting I trying to stay away from eating out at restaurants because preparing food at home is the only way to know what I am really putting into my body. I also don't know what restaurant we are going to because he is keeping it a surprise. I have a bottle of nice french champagne and a set of brand new champagne flutes that I have been saving for this occasion but another thing to steer clear of while dieting is alcohol. I am so conflicted by my natural urge to celebrate in a carefree way with food and drinks that are a total abomination to my diet, I am fearful that I will regret it and get down on myself with guilt and shame. I have heard that every once in a while you should let loose and have a cheat day or a day off of your diet to confuse your metabolism or something of that sort but I don't know what to believe and I don't know what I should do. I am stuck between the fear of not really enjoying this day because I'll be stuck in my own head trying to stay on my best behavior which I will regret and the fear of letting loose, taking a day off to behave badly and have a great time which I might regret tomorrow when I step on the scale (which I will have to do because I have a Dr's apt.) Any input is appreciated.

Replies

• cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think a cheat day now and then is called for. For me, every Sunday my wife and I pretty much have whatever we want, and we tow the line the rest of the week. It keeps our sanity intact and it really helps as far as sticking to the diet the other 6 days. I'm losing weight too.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Hey guess what!!!

You can have the night off, even from tracking, and practice indulging smartly on a beautiful night with the man you love.

And it wont negate all the work youve done.

squeeze

i hope its a magical night <3
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey guess what!!!

You can have the night off, even from tracking, and practice indulging smartly on a beautiful night with the man you love.

squeeze

Very well said!^^
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey guess what!!!

squeeze

Yeah I'm with Yoovie on this one, Take the night off don't worry about it and just enjoy! :)
  • Lyndsgirl
    Lyndsgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    First off, do you like the diet? I'm considering doing something like that. Second, you definitely owe it t yourself. You will not gain back all that weight over night. Go out, and have a GREAT time tonight girl.
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You've done so well so far and had great accomplishments. I think you should take the night off from tracking and just enjoy yourself and your husband (and the champagne!). This doesn't mean you HAVE to go hog wild. You could still just order a piece of fish and veggies and just not stress over how they prepared it to the last detail.

I think the point is that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. You can't expect to never go out to eat or celebrate again for the rest of your life. One cheat day a week or every so often isn't going to hurt your progress; in fact, I know it helps a lot of other people stay on track and relax a little bit.

Anyways, in my opinion, just go out to eat and drink champagne and celebrate. Eat something yummy and just get back to tracking the next day. Maybe go on a long walk or work out a little harder the next day if you're worried about bloating!

Congrats on your marriage and success!
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm with the group. One night won't spoil all your hard work. If you're still feeling anxious, here's some general tips:

1) A glass of champagne isn't gonna break the bank. You're looking at about 100 calories. It's a lot better than hard alcohol or mixed drinks like pina coladas or margaritas. Those drinks almost as many calories as your meal itself!

2) If you're going to a restaurant where they offer a bread basket, politely request they don't bring one to your table. You're there for the meal and the company of your boyfriend, not the bread.

3) When your entree comes out, ask for a doggy bag and put at least half of it away. Restaurant portions are usually 2-3 times what an appropriate portion should be.

4) Split dessert with your BF. And feed it to each other! Nothing more romantic than that!

Enjoy yourself and happy anniversary!
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You should enjoy your night out. Just eat your healthy foods for breakfast and lunch and then for your dinner out order something you will enjoy without it being the worst option on the menu. I wouldn't order a fried appetizer, pasta and dessert but you can certainly order some sort of fish, chicken, lean steak with salad and veggies and even though the way it is prepared will not meet your diet standards it still will be better than a meal FULL of simple carbs and sugar, if you are really worried about your diet on that night.

Also just make smarter alcohol choices. A dry wine, light beer, or a mixed drink (mixed with something low calorie) are all good options to have a splurge without having a 600 calorie sugary drink.

But definitely enjoy your anniversary! Don't let this stress you out!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    EVERY one here is correct. You've been eating right every day for how long? Your anniversary is ONCE a year and VERY important. You earned a night out, not only for maintaining your diet, but for maintaining your marriage. SO WORTH IT!! Go out, enjoy. Indulge a little. If you have time, go for a walk before your 'date' begins, or go together. Be it hard-core walking on your own or slow and romantic with your hubby, you are still moving and burning. Work out a little harder tomorrow. Ange03063 listed some great tips that won't spoil the romance. nicholm7 is right, you can't honestly expect to NEVER celebrate. What kind of life is that? You've proven you can be good, just get back on track tomorrow. You GOT this,girl!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    oops, just realized you are NOT married, but a relationship is a relationship and very worth celebrating.
  • brittanystcyr
    Options
    One night off will not damage all the hard work you have put in this far. Go have a wonderful night and try not to worry about it. Dont go crazy with the desert or anything so you wont feel like **** about it the next day. You deserve this girl! Great job! and I love how supportive all these people are!!!