Pregnancy & Weight Loss for Women with BMI over 30

Options
Obviously it is best to do what is most healthy for the baby-Is gaining when you are already obese safe?

Feedback on the article? What do you think?

Everyone please play nice, no nasty comments. I've seen where these types of things can go.

:)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070605185550.htm

Replies

• KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I believe that this is something that needs to be discussed with a doctor and nutritionist. I do think this is important information for people to know though, too many women use pregnancy as an excuse to overeat.
  • katiegregory23
    katiegregory23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article because I am on my phone, but I did do a lot of research on this subject when I was pregnant with my last child. I was still carrying over 40lbs of extra weight after having my daughter (they are 11 months apart in age) and I didn't want to gain a crazy amount on top of that. I was sitting right at a bmi of 30, so I knew it wouldn't be healthy for me or the baby. I ended up only gaining 16lbs that time, and I was happy with that (my baby weighed 9lbs 9oz at birth). I had a doctor who never said a word about my weight during all 3 of my pregnancies. I kind of wish he would've gotten on me about my first two because I gained 60 and 70 lbs each time. I know he shouldn't have had to, though and I needed to take responsibility for my own body.

I know a lot of the research suggests women in the obese category to gain zero weight, but I think the number isn't what should be be stressed upon. The women need to understand the risk factors associated with gaining additional weight. They should be encouraged to begin a healthy diet and start some light walking if they have no complications prohibiting them. Childbirth is not easy, and if she has no cardiovascular fitness, she is quite possibly setting herself up for an emergency c-section when she no longer has the stamina to continue.

Just my opinion :).
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that a woman should just concentrate on staying healthy for her baby. Develop a light exercise program if she's not already exercising, or continue what she's already doing (within reason, I doubt something like insanity would be a great choice!) I don't know exactly what my BMW was when I got pregnant last year, probably around 28 I'd guess. I gained 10 pounds in 27 weeks which my doctor was happy with. I went into premature labor and had my baby so I don't know what the last three months had in store for me as far as weight gain, lol!

Anyway, I believe that healthy eating and some exercise is good for pregnant women, if they lose weight because they've changed their lifestyle for the better then great. If they still gain weight with a better lifestyle, who cares as long as everyone's healthy?
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it is something that needs to be discussed candidly and seriously with the woman's OB and a nutritionist who specializes in such issues.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I am 229 pounds and I am almost 10 weeks pregnant. My ob/gyn told me he wants me to gain no weight during my pregnancy and gave me the nudging that he would like to see me lose some. I told him I have lost 70 pounds from my heaviest point of 302 and he said that's great and keep going.

So here is what I came up with after doing a bunch of research and learning about the "eating for two thing."

I eat my BMR. I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks, so I added 50 calories onto my caloric goal. Every Monday, I add 11 calories to my goal. I adjust my goal (BMR) according to weight loss or gain. So even though I'm adding 11, I may actually only be adding 4 or 7 because my BMR adjusted. If I keep doing this, I will continue to lose weight slowly and successfully and still me consuming well enough calories to sustain my baby during pregnancy.

I continue to exercise and do all the exercising I was doing before (gym, bike rides, etc.) I have scaled back a bit though. I only do actual exercise 4-5 days a week (instead of the 6 or 7 I was doing) and I only do 30 minutes a time (instead of the 35-120 I was doing) You are not supposed to add anything new. Keep doing what you were doing until it becomes uncomfortable. The doctor said swimming was the best exercise, but I don't have regular access to a pool.

Your body becomes more efficient during pregnancy. As long as you are keeping a healthy caloric intake to sustain yourself and your baby and not straining yourself, you can lose weight during pregnancy. I have lost a few pounds with my system and even with the morning sickness (all day sickness actually), I'm feeling better than ever!

My biggest fear is to balloon up during my pregnancy. Women think they can just eat whatever they want then they get the shock of gaining 70 pounds. I have been working so hard. I don't want it to be negated.
  • kriselayne1
    kriselayne1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 229 pounds and I am almost 10 weeks pregnant. My ob/gyn told me he wants me to gain no weight during my pregnancy and gave me the nudging that he would like to see me lose some. I told him I have lost 70 pounds from my heaviest point of 302 and he said that's great and keep going.

So here is what I came up with after doing a bunch of research and learning about the "eating for two thing."

I eat my BMR. I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks, so I added 50 calories onto my caloric goal. Every Monday, I add 11 calories to my goal. I adjust my goal (BMR) according to weight loss or gain. So even though I'm adding 11, I may actually only be adding 4 or 7 because my BMR adjusted. If I keep doing this, I will continue to lose weight slowly and successfully and still me consuming well enough calories to sustain my baby during pregnancy.

I continue to exercise and do all the exercising I was doing before (gym, bike rides, etc.) I have scaled back a bit though. I only do actual exercise 4-5 days a week (instead of the 6 or 7 I was doing) and I only do 30 minutes a time (instead of the 35-120 I was doing) You are not supposed to add anything new. Keep doing what you were doing until it becomes uncomfortable. The doctor said swimming was the best exercise, but I don't have regular access to a pool.

Your body becomes more efficient during pregnancy. As long as you are keeping a healthy caloric intake to sustain yourself and your baby and not straining yourself, you can lose weight during pregnancy. I have lost a few pounds with my system and even with the morning sickness (all day sickness actually), I'm feeling better than ever!

My biggest fear is to balloon up during my pregnancy. Women think they can just eat whatever they want then they get the shock of gaining 70 pounds. I have been working so hard. I don't want it to be negated.

Good for you Valerie! It sounds like your doing great things and will do even better once you have the baby. Your an inspriation!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Just wanted to add that you can have a healthy pregnancy without gaining tons of weight, especially if you are significantly overweight when you get pregnant. I was 247 lbs when I got pregnant. I had gained about 10 lbs after going through two miscarriages but I was way too heavy even before that gain.

While pregnant, I walked 2 miles a day up until 38 weeks and also followed a recommended 2100 calorie diet that was very carb controlled per my doctor's advice. I was advised to gain no more than 20 lbs. I gained a total of 7 lbs during my pregnancy. At 39 weeks I gave birth to a 7lb 2 oz baby and had lost another 15 or so lbs by my 6 week checkup. My son is now 9 months old and I'm down a total of 29 lbs, (23 lbs below my prepregnancy weight).
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is where my head is at on this subject. Logically, women gain weight during pregnancy due to increased blood supply, amniotic fluid and the actual baby (6-8lbs in the end). So, to me, it seems that still maintaining an effort to lose weight may not be the best idea. The weight the baby gains (not to mention the blood and fluid) has to come from somewhere. If Im losing weight, where is my baby gaining from (because that means my body [- the baby] is actually losing even more)? But if Im maintaing on the scale, then my body is actually losing weight while the baby gains. I do agree that maintaining a workout (or even starting one) during pregnancy is important as long as there are no complications and its cleared by your doctor.

All that being said, when I get pregnant, I plan to follow what my doctor says assuming its logical. If she doesnt want me to gain, then ok I'll try, if she wants me to up my calories then thats ok too. But losing weight for a healthy pregnancy is 95% of the reason I am here. Hope that wasnt too much rambling.
  • lyzmoon
    lyzmoon Posts: 1
    Options
    This is an old thread, but for anyone who finds it in a google search --

My BMI is 31-32, and I have some other risk factors for diabetes (PCOS, diabetic parent) so my doc told me she would like me to continue losing weight during the first trimester, as long as I'm careful to eat very nutrititive food and take my prenatal vitamins. But after the first trimester, she said I should gain 15-20. So hopefully that will be equivalent to maintaining the same weight! I think as long as you get your daily recommended vitamins, minerals, and fats, it's ok to eat fewer and/or burn more calories than usual. Luckily, the myfitnesspal iPad app has a nutrition analysis tool that tracks most of the essentials! :D

Good luck to all!
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Update, so I ended up gaining 60 pounds with my daughter even though I was trying to maintain. The day I had her I lost 48, that's a lot of water weight, amniotic fluid, baby, etc! She was 9 lbs 7 oz, happy & healthy! She was born on March 25th!