5am workouts- help!

Options
I am going to be joining the gym, but the only time I have to workout is very first thing in the morning before work. Please helpful thoughts, tips and advice for such an early workout!

Replies

• sarachristine28
    Options
    It gets easier! You just have to stick with it. I have my alarm set, and with it I've written a motivational message that I see every time I struggle to get out of bed, because believe me.. even after 4 months it's still hard some days. BUT it is worth it!
    Biggest tip: get your workout clothes ready and have them bedside. :)

Remember this: It is easier to get up early and workout than it is to look in the mirror each day and not like what you see.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I also started an early morning schedule this year. I'm in my later 40's so I anyway don't need as much sleep as a younger person. I got used to it pretty quickly...and now, on the days that I don't exercise in the early AN, I get up anyway and am productive at home !!!!!
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm 1 4/5am early morning workouter :happy: . You just have to make a committement to do it. I never know when I'm getting home from work so have to workout in the morning. That is my time and nothing and no one gets in the way.
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thank you all- wish me luck :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I am going to be joining the gym, but the only time I have to workout is very first thing in the morning before work. Please helpful thoughts, tips and advice for such an early workout!

Make it a routine. Put your alarm clock across the room so you HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off. The most difficult part of getting up so early is getting out of the warm bed. Once you're out of the bed it gets easier.

Have your breakfast ready...I usually grab a Nutrigrain bar or healthy muffin or a banana with peanut butter or something like that.

The first week or so is the hardest-just power through it and it gets easier, I promise! That's what I've started doing since I have things to do after I work (work 40 hours/week) and I always made excuses not to go after work...so I started going before hand...honestly, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Best of luck!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I woman I work with me told me that she sleeps in her workout outfit. LOL. That way she just gets up and heads out. LOL.
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    Options
    I woman I work with me told me that she sleeps in her workout outfit. LOL. That way she just gets up and heads out. LOL.

LOL that is funny
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    Options
    What days do you all workout and how long? I was thinking of MWF and then a cardio kickboxing Tuesday evenings.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Theres nothing more awesome or sexier to me thatn waking up, killing it at the gym, going home and having a quick shower and a beautiful breakfast before work.

Seriously, Im so solid for the rest of the day- you just cant touch me. Im unstoppable.

i call it a sexy breakfast.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some morning workouts this week and while getting out of bed is still a 15-20 minute process, I just love knowing that when I get home after work, the rest of my time is for whatever I want....go out with friends, read, play outside...

And when I say I'm an absolutely b*tch about getting up earlier than 7, I'm not lying.

But....I open my eyes, see my vision board with my goals on it and say "Let's get this done". That way, the hubs and I can go on a date in the evening. :)

I fight myself the whole way....I literally tell myself to STFU and do it. Once I get to the gym...I LOVE it. Make it happen for a week or two and it will get easier.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    demotivation.us_Snooze-No-More-Sometimes-drastic-measures-are-needed-to-break-habits_131231900314.jpg
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I love being the first one in the gym when they open at 5 it makes the rest of the day awesome.
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I set an alarm in the next room so I have to get up to turn it off. I get my clothes and breakfast ready the night before. And then I just do it!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I also sleep in my workout clothes. :laugh:

Everything but the sports bra, shoes, and knee brace! Makes it easier to get moving at 5 am!
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    I also sleep in my workout clothes. :laugh:

Everything but the sports bra, shoes, and knee brace! Makes it easier to get moving at 5 am!

Same here! LOL

I actually normally wake up between 5:15 and 5:45, so not quiiiitte 5am, but close. I work out pretty much every day unless I'm sick or just have had a horrible nights' sleep for some reason. I run 4-5x a week and strength train or do yoga on the other days. It's as much a part of my routine as brushing my teeth. And I am really NOT a morning person either. I don't like to talk to anyone else before I've had my breakfast and caffeine, but I will work out before doing those things. I think I read somewhere once that it takes about a month to make (or break) a habit. I found that to be true for me. If you can stick with morning workouts for 30 days, it gets so much easier and is just second nature. I love attacking my day knowing my workout is already done! :) Good luck!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I prep the coffee maker the night before and make sure the coffee's ready so I can have a little to wake me up...I sleep in what I work out in..I have my shoes, socks, HRM, headphones and etc. laid out and ready for me to put on. I work out at home either on the ellipitcal or in the garage so it's a little easier than going somewhere else. :) It's not always easy, but I feel like crap if I miss a workout.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I had to ease into it, so I started setting my alarm earlier and earlier and working out within the hour of the alarm going off, now i'm up to getting up at 5 and working out at 6, working my way up to working out at 5:15 I'll get there.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    What days do you all workout and how long? I was thinking of MWF and then a cardio kickboxing Tuesday evenings.

I wok out around 5 or 5:30 am every weekday. Usually 3 days heavy full-body lifting (New Rules of Lifting for Women) for approx. 80 minutes/day, and on the other 2 days, I do a variety of 1-hour cardio workouts.

After the first few weeks, it really does become habit to just get up & do it, and like Yoovie, I feel fantastic afterwards!!
  • Heidi703
    Heidi703 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, that way when I get up and start second guessing myself, I am already dressed and figure I am halfway there! Plus you don't have to think about what you are going to wear!
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    plan your workout the day before (i.e. leave DVD in player and ready to just push start). leave your workout gear ready (or sleep in it) and Get plenty of sleep the night before. This might be TMI but every morning when I pee pee after I wake up, I force myself to stay on that toilet until my self-pep talk motivates me to stay awake and workout instead of walking around like a zombie, half asleep and tempted to jump back in bed. I wake up at 4:45am three times a week