Gastric Sleeve?

Options
Has anyone every had a gastric sleeve? What are some of the pros and cons? Does it work even if you have a hormone disorder? I want to talk to my doctor next week about starting the process...I really want a gastric bypass but my insurance won't cover it :(

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten mine yet...but i'm due to get sleeved Sept 25th. Check out Youtube it's a big community there that's full of information and folks who will tell you all that you need to know! Good luck!
  • CanadianPanda
    Options
    I was sleeved July 21st in Mexico. It was the best thing I ever did. There is many changes after surgery on what you can and cannot eat but worth it. Gastric sleeve has less complications than the bybass. Do some research I paid for my procedure. Check out weightlossagents.com they even have financing
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You did it now, you're going to get flamed and trolled by all the anti-surgery nutbags.
    As a person in the process getting surgery I will tell you this. Make sure you know what you're getting into. Research the heck out of it. Don't take opinions, especially from most of the people on here who haven't had, won't have it and know pretty much nothing about it. Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. And with both of those, make sure you understand the change in lifestyle that is required post surgery to be successful. It's not a magic fix, it requires a great deal of work. You have to be willing to work with the surgery not either against or not at all.

There are some great resources out there to educate yourself on the benefits and drawbacks of surgery. It's not as easy as many people like to think, there is a lot to it. And with the exception of the band, it can't be undone. So it's kind of a like it now or get use to it late scenario.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have a friend getting the lap band tomorrow. I am happy for her but I don't get one thing... if she can follow the lap band diet and lose 40 lbs while prepping for the procedure, why does she need it at all?
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any WLS but I'm curious about it--I've friended some people on MFP who have had WLS so that I can follow their progress and see how it goes for them--I was honest with them-told them I'd like to avoid the surgery if I can but that I fear it may be necessary in the next couple of years so I'd like to know about their journey and they've been great so far--supportive of me and I've been supportive of them.
    The thing is I do know that if I don't lose the weight this time doing it the slow healthy non-fad diet way (I haven't given myself a deadline, but I think I'll give myself another year or so) then it's the next option for me.

Based on your profile, it sounds like you need to find a good primary healthcare provider who will do a full review of your health including hormonal review and psychological evaluation--gah-that makes it sound awful. What I mean is you sound really depressed, probably for a lot of reasons, but also possibly because of some physiological source (maybe hormonal or chemical?), so get it checked out if you can. I'm just saying that as someone who has been in care for depression for years-- It would probably be the same doc who would refer you for a gastric sleeve, but maybe ask what other types of support they can offer in addition to WLS options.
    We all have to remember that we are whole people who need complex care sometimes, so ask for it-hell, demand it.
    You gotta take care of yourself so you can care for those babies :)
    Hope you get some answers to this question though--like I said i am always curious about real peoples experiences with WLS. Sorry I couldn't help more with that, hope I didn't butt in otherwise.