Goal weight reached...now what?

Options
Hello! I just wanted to be a size 8 and I have comfortably reached that goal. Unfortunately, since I lost more weight and my weight loss is set at 1 1/2 lbs a week and since I lost more weight MFP set me at 1,200 calories. If I change my settings to lose 1 lb a week or maintain it is going to up the calories. I am concerned that will put weight on. Is it ok to add maybe 100-200 calories (because 1,200 is too little for me to live on permanently) or will that add the lbs back on? I know if I even set it to lose just 1 lb a week it will give me 1,440 calories and I do feel that will add some of the lbs back on. Can anyone provide information about this?

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would go to maintenence if you're happy with your weight or set it to 0.5lbs per week and see what that gets you. Even if you do gain some weight...you now have the tools and knowledge to lose it again!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert - but maybe try adding on 100 or 200 calories a day, stick with it for a week or 2 and see how your body reacts. Just keep playing with the numbers a week at a time, until you find the point at which you neither gain nor lose.

Just my 2 cents.
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking like an extra hundred. Funny how a hundred calories makes dieting more livable ha ha. Thanks you guys!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ignore all that math.

what the hell do you want to do with your life?
    does your body look like you want it or does the scale look like you want it to?
    do you want to get stronger now?
    do you want to go on adventures now?

the real question is -

what are all the things you were putting off doing until your weight would allow you?

GO DO ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!

reaching your weight is just getting a ticket to enjoying the planet. You dont stop at the admissions gate, you run inside and play forever.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    ignore all that math.

does your body look like you want it or does the scale look like you want it to?

the real question is -

what are all the things you were putting off doing until your weight would allow you?

reaching your weight is just getting a ticket to enjoying the planet. You dont stop at the admissions gate, you run inside and play forever.

all of this. Perfectly put btw
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching ur goal. :) I can only imagine what a sense of accomplishment you must be feeling.I would go with my instinct. If you feel comfortable raising a 100, do it and see how it works out. Anything above 1300 definitely feels way more doable. :)
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    ignore all that math.

the real question is -

I appreciate this but trust me I am living my life just fine ha ha ha. I am working on the strength training and the toning but I like the calorie counting because it gives me that structure because what hurts me is that sometimes when I think I am eating healthy it is really too many calories and it took me 8 months just to lost 39 lbs and that was a lot of work I do not want to waste and I am happy at this size and want to stay.

Thanks to everyone and your praise I appreciate it :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I meant like... going ziplining in the Amazon, or scaling a famous hotel in Vegas, but if you meant jeans sizes, okie dokie...
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump for later, I want to know too
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about about MFP settings. Add 100 calories per day for a week, and keep going until you get to 300-500 calories above where you are now.

Take note that their might be a bit of a spike on the scale, it's just extra water/glycogen from an increased carbohydrate intake. It will only be a few pounds.
  • jamifaith
    Options
    my suggestion is to slowly move away from calorie counting. do you really want to be inputting all your food into mfp for the rest of your life? time to transition to maintenance, youll have to play around with your food for a couple weeks and see what your maintenance diet looks like, but eventually eating that way will just be habit and you can keep living your life without knowing the EXACT amount of calories that you are eating. freedom from worrying about every bite :)
  • KaraAdams69
    Options
    lmfao