Home workout?

Options
The soon to be hubby and I work opposite hours a lot of the time. I can't take the little one to the gym as they don't have childcare. I am looking for a good workout from home, any suggestions?

Replies

• elliemae207
    Options
    I found this mini stepper on amazon.com -- though a bit pricey, it is worth it! I found myself really enjoying this stepper in front of my fave TV series or watching a marathon of Korean drama. So convenient. And I feel no guilt whatsoever watching TV because I'm not sitting being a couch potato.

A quick 20 to 30-min intense work out has me sweating in no time at all!

http://www.amazon.com/Xiser-XM-C-Commercial-Portable-Stepper/dp/B002KTLS96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345135821&sr=8-1&keywords=xiser+stepper
  • Cornish111
    Options
    Try Gaiamtv.com. It's $10 a month but has a wide range of exercise videos online.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Zumba, it depends what your goals are. P90X would be my first recommendation, a well rounded system which concentrates on muscle gain & has elements of cardio & stretching/yoga. The days run to about an hour each with one day off a week. But you will need weights or bands & a chin up bar to get the best from the program.

You could try TurboFire or Insanity for cardio, I prefer TF, more fun, but they have much the same science behind them. Just implemented differently. I know Insanity runs to about 45mins each day with one day off per week. No equipment needed.

I would recommend Rushfit a great system with a lot of built in flexibility, shorter in duration to the above mentined programs, but just as scientifically based. It is a total body conditioning program based around 5 x 5 min rounds. Really great fun & little different to what is out there.

If you have weights & a bench, try AllPro's Beginner Routine(Bodybuilding.com) it is 7 moves per day, 3 times a week & takes just about an hour, it is covered in DEPTH on BB.com but feel free to PM or ask on the "wall/feed" as it is what I am doing now.

Russ
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try Gaiamtv.com. It's $10 a month but has a wide range of exercise videos online.

They're free on Netflix and Hulu.
  • nikkikinlikla
    Options
    I find exercise DVDs work well. Currently I am using Turbo Jam, the shortest workout is 20 minutes, and it's an excellent cardio workout.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred -- it's a 20 minute workout -- level 1 is on youtube. Easy enough to do before the little one wakes in the morning. Or you can sit them down with a video of their own - since most children's programs run 22 minutes long, it's doable even when the tyke is awake.
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think these for quick, weight baring exercises :) If you don't know what any of the moods are, just google them!
    http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/15968075542/a-daily-exercise-plan-do-these-exercises
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love Insanity, P90X and Rockin' Body :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com has free videos too.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out at home. The biggest loser videos are top notch.. I especially love the Biggest Loser Cardio Max.. I also bought a treadmill, so I run 3 days a week and do Biggest Loser in between. Also go by some free weights to do some lifting and you will need them for the biggest loser. I have 3 sets.. A 3 pound, 5-pound, and 8-pound weights.
  • ShanniLee
    Options
    I think these for quick, weight baring exercises :) If you don't know what any of the moods are, just google them!
    http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/15968075542/a-daily-exercise-plan-do-these-exercises
    bump for later
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you can completely obsolete a gym if you purchase the following basic pieces of equipment:

1. Exercise mat (thickness and material used should depend on type of workout you plan on doing)
    2. A good pair of cross trainers (as running and aerobics drills are really the only form of cardio you need)
    3. A jump rope (for if you're not the running type)
    4. A suspension trainer (allows you to modify bodyweight exercises to suit your fitness level without compromising the total effect of the exercise)
    5. Some sort of heavy piece of resistance tool that provides enough resistance to challenge your lower body when doing compound exercises. Adjustable dumbbells, a barbell + plates, a few kettlebells, or a sandbag kit are all suitable ideas here.

Do a search on youtube to find the different ways to use these pieces of equipment and start putting your own workouts together.
  • tltrahan2000
    tltrahan2000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally have had no success working out at home unless I go for a run outdoors. The La Fitness that I go to has a good child care. I tried working out at home but everything distracts me (the laundry, dishes, kids, etc.) At the gym I get the time to focus soley on me.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michael's Kickbox Fast Fix every day after work, and I love it. It's 20 minutes, so I can fit it in, and it's intense enough that I feel I've really worked out, but I'm not dying. She uses hand weights, but I make do with a resistance cable. Her Body Revolution program is good too, but it's 30 minutes long.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If you really going for it and really want to lose weight and get in form, get one of these workouts:
    Insanity (it is hardcore)
    P90X (less hardcore then insanity but still hard)
    Tapout XT (between insanity and P90X)
    Turbo Jam (Good to start with)
    Hip Hop Abs (also very nice to start with and the least intensive of them all)

All of the above have many reviews and results on google, youtube and different forums.
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred has all 3 levels on YouTube. Also, ripped in 30 is a good video. Jillian will make you work! Also, if you can, get a carrier for your bike and take the kiddo with you for a ride.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, so that's my go-to at home, but I also love the Firm series of dvds. They are great for strength training and take minimal equipment.

I have also been doing Crossfit at home. I have a couple of apps for the WODs and have been building up the equipment we have. It's fun and challenging. Really enjoying it so far!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, download the Nike Training Club app. It has dozens of workouts at different fitness levels and tailored to specific goals, with written instructions, photos, videos, and audio cues while you're doing it. It tracks your workouts, gives rewards, and has new workouts available about once a month. Best part is that it's completely free. I downloaded it a year ago and only started using it recently and I'm kicking myself for not starting sooner!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I like working out at home so I can do it in my own time (and all alone). My kids have the XBox 360 Kinect, so I bought the Biggest Loser game. This is perfect the camera is on my to make sure I am doing everything right, if not Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper will correct me. There are different level, you can add weights, the ball, etc. It works for me.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Check out bodyrock.tv for about a million different (mostly home) workouts. Awesome (and brutal).