High-Fiber Foods

Options
I'm on a new medication that causes constipation (ugh). Due to my insulin resistance, I need to make sure I don't eat too many carbs. I'm limited to about 90-100 per day.

I eat a bowl of Raisin Bran every morning, and I've heard about Activia yogurt, but are there any high-fiber foods that are low/medium in carbs? When I think about fiber, all I can picture is bran muffins, Fiber One bars, and various types of cereal.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Lentils and bluberries
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Beans.They are super for fiber and also have a lot of protein. If you don't want to bother cooking too much, just buy the canned or frozen variety, but be careful of too much sodium with canned beans.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Beans.They are super for fiber and also have a lot of protein. If you don't want to bother cooking too much, just buy the canned or frozen variety, but be careful of too much sodium with canned beans.
    Beans and rice is one of my favorite foods. I'll try to make it more often.
  • SCogs18
    SCogs18 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can also take a fiber pill/supplement. I find that the Kroger brand capsules don't have any offensive taste. Just be sure to drink plenty of water with them.
  • veronica_0920
    veronica_0920 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Low-carb wraps such as La Tortilla Factory High Fiber wraps- 12 grams pro, 10 grams fiber. Flat out wraps- comparable to La Tortilla Factory wraps. Kashi Go Lean cereal- 13 grams protein, 10 grams fiber. Raspberries have a whopping 9 grams fiber in one cup. I have IBS-C and these are staples in my diet.... :-)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    A suplement I take is called: Garden of Life: Organic Beyond Fiber. 11 gr of fiber in 1 scoop. I mix it with my protein shakes.
  • Mottasa
    Mottasa Posts: 1
    Options
    I recommend Yerba Prima whole psyillium fiber. It does not taste good, but it will do the trick.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4.9 sprouted bread
    Lentils
    Beans all kinds
    Veg
    La Tortilla High Fiber
    These all keep my BG level =)
  • ProteincoCanada
    Options
    Psyllium Husk has over 70 grams per 100 grams. Don't think you'll find anything higher. Beans, carrots, prunes and plums are good too.

Canada
    Joe A.
    General Manager
    ProteinCo Canada
    10% Off Coupon Code: 10proteincof
    www.ProteinCo.ca

USA
    Joe A.
    General Manager
    ProteinCo
    10% Off Coupon Code: 10proteincobiz
    www.ProteinCo.com
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Fruit has lots of fiber but the sugar will add to your carb count, berries tend to have lower sugar than some other fruits. In addition to beans and lentils, broccoli and dark greens have a lot of fiber. And if you are going to eat rice, pasta, etc. go for the whole grain varieties because you'll get more fiber and protien for your carbs.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered chia seeds (yes, the same ones in ch-ch-Chia pets) from a cold oats recipe. They are loaded with fiber and can be added to anything liquid and will thicken it. Right now, I use 1 tsp in my Greek yogurt. People often use them in smoothies too. They do not taste like anything, but might take some getting used to because of the texture (jelly with a crunchy center).

Also, most Kashi products have a lot of fiber.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Low-carb wraps such as La Tortilla Factory High Fiber wraps- 12 grams pro, 10 grams fiber. Flat out wraps- comparable to La Tortilla Factory wraps. Kashi Go Lean cereal- 13 grams protein, 10 grams fiber. Raspberries have a whopping 9 grams fiber in one cup. I have IBS-C and these are staples in my diet.... :-)

Kashi Go Lean with some raspberries tossed in sounds like a really good breakfast. :)
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump