Can you be diagnosed with both? - eating disorder question

Options
xshortiex
xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
Can someone be diagnosed with both binge-eating disorder and anorexic tendencies?

I'm a bit worried about a friend of mine, who will have a day where she'll eat way, way too much, and then the next day she won't eat anything, like she's punishing herself or something, and I don't know what's going on.

Replies

• Nooshkabob
    Options
    Can someone be diagnosed with both binge-eating disorder and anorexic tendencies?

I'm a bit worried about a friend of mine, who will have a day where she'll eat way, way too much, and then the next day she won't eat anything, like she's punishing herself or something, and I don't know what's going on.

To be anorexic you must have a BMI below 17.5. If she does then she will have anorexia nervosa probably, but could be subtype 2 which is anorexia with binge/purging.
    It does sound like her eating is disordered, it could be EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) - what people are diagnosed with if they don't quite fit the criteria for AN, BN, or BED. hope this helps a bit, and hope your friend is ok :) It sounds like it's worth having a chat with her and seeing if she's ok, of if she would find it helpful to talk to someone about it. Even if it isn't a full blown ED it's better to catch it early... And just be there for her but don't try and make her eat/not eat because i doubt that will help...