is it worth it?

Options
ok so i have a treadmill and an eliptical in my home. i also have my young hyper son running around so i dont always get to use them as much as i would like. my question is, is it worth it to just do a couple minutes here and there when i get a chance. i know anything is better than nothing but will it really do anything weight loss wise. i try to workout some while he is asleep but i also like to relax while i have the chance. i try to get at least 30 minutes a day. but does a 30 minute workout = 30 minutes divided alot throught the day.

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It is even better if you go all out for just a few minutes at a time, several times a day. If you only have a few minutes, work as hard as you can in those few minutes and you will see some pretty impressive results.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I look at it like this...any movement(exercise) is better than none whatsoever.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that if I can get 10 minutes here, 5 mintues there, and total at least 30 minutes of walking a day that I am doing great. It doesn't have to be all at once and it doesn't have to be a backbreaking pace either. He said, "Just get moving!"
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have a lot better luck getting a bit of exercise all across my day than trying to get it in blocks. If I didn't do things in small blocks I'd never got anything done. And if you wait until you have a 'block of time' there never is one.

Go for it.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Well here is what I have come to realize you have to take care of your health. Its not easy being a mom. I am a stay at home mom of 2 and I make myself do it. When I had my little girl, it was hard to juggle taking care of myself, my house and my husband, let alone taking 30 min to myself. And obviously I wanted to rest as well.
    Well you have some equiptment at home, that is more than most have and I bet you can do alot with, even if its ten minutes here and there.
    Now the question is, Do you know if its worthi it to you? For me my health is most important, If I dont take care of myself, well then other things are not so great either, becasue I am unhappy with myself.
    How old is the baby? Maybe you can wake up a bit earlier, or if you can find a mommy baby workout, not very high impact but it can get you moving with the baby.
    Sometimes you may have to stay up a little later or wake up a bit earlier. But take your time, if 3 ten minute workouts is what you can do, then do that. You will be able to add more when the baby gets older. I used to put mine in the play pen when they were little and work out in front of them, they would laugh their butts off. And now my daughter she asks to do workouts with me, sh ecan do pushups, and so much more cause she sees my example.
    Take it a day at a time and know u are not alone.
    Do you friends or family that can watch baby for an hour?
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    30 minutes, is better than no minutes. Even if it is 5 minutes here, 15 minutes there.
  • phdcharlie
    Options
    Yes, it is worth it. Even short periods of exercise here and there will help your fitness. As far as losing weight goes, your calorie consumption will be the largest determinant of weight loss. But, every little bit of exercising is helpful. Just keep doing what you can :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your hubby can't look after the ankle biters to give you time to workout?
  • JMMac121
    JMMac121 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    However you get your 30 minutes in a day works. It might be even better because you'll go harder on the ten minute intervals than a full 30 minutes..
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    ok so i have a treadmill and an eliptical in my home. i also have my young hyper son running around so i dont always get to use them as much as i would like. my question is, is it worth it to just do a couple minutes here and there when i get a chance. i know anything is better than nothing but will it really do anything weight loss wise. i try to workout some while he is asleep but i also like to relax while i have the chance. i try to get at least 30 minutes a day. but does a 30 minute workout = 30 minutes divided alot throught the day.

As others have said, YES.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is: yes! You're getting 30 minutes one way or another!!! Which is awesome! keep getting it where you can.

Although as a side note as far as "burning calories" is concerned, you burn more if you can do a continuous 30 minutes of exercise -- due to your heart rate rising and staying up for the entire 30 minutes, rather then having to start back from resting everytime you restart your 5-10 minutes of exercise.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wait until he goes to bed? I don't know. My 5 year old is hyperative as hell.
    I run on the treadmill and she stands by me jumping up and down or whatever. When I do a DVD she turns into cheerleader 5 year old....or more accurately drill Sargent 5 year old.

When she was younger I could use TV or whatever to get 30 minutes to work out. And some people will judge that - let them. I was on my own and I have no family for 2000 miles and I wanted to work out for 30 minutes so that I will be around when my kid has grandkids. Disney channel is my hero some days.

It doesn't really matter, I guess. I couldn't do 5 or ten minutes all the time. You don't get that high (that I only really start to get at 30 minutes, but time is money!).
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have a lot better luck getting a bit of exercise all across my day than trying to get it in blocks. If I didn't do things in small blocks I'd never got anything done. And if you wait until you have a 'block of time' there never is one.

Go for it.

^what she said.

My heart valve is bad, ALL i can tolerate is short amounts of time, YET, despite this, i am noticing already, in my first week,
    how it is now easier to go up/down stairs now,
    and how it is easier to do this or that,
    already,
    even though most of my "exercise" is done in snippets.

I am even just doing one stretch, here or there, like, this one barstool in my kitchen, every time i go by it, i grab it, and lean forward, and stretch out each leg up high behind me, and then side to side, stretching out my sides of my back at same time.

YEAH, that's right, just the one stretch, on each leg, every time i pass that spot in the house. still, i can note, just that is helping my muffin top.

i am doing other things too, just gave that as example. so little, so quick, yet, it is helping me.

Every little bit helps.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Your hubby can't look after the ankle biters to give you time to workout?

<
    develops crush on BrianSharpe...:laugh:

one thing you could consider, too, is,
    get another pal, with kid (parents with lil kids tend to have pals who are also 'rents)
    and you two or three adults,
    could take turns,
    one 'rent watches the kiddos, while other one or two work out,
    and then swap/take turns.
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Any movement is better than none :smile:

Do a couple of "Kid Lifts" above your head during the day. There is some weight training to go along with it. How about running up and down the stairs just because?

Many things you can do!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Every movement counts! I take extra walks when I can, here and there.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    VqAZ9.jpg

TxeMs.jpg

2yuar.jpg
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    http://www.stroll-smart.com/

^check that out, looks really cool.