The kindness of strangers

Options
I lost a library book, someone found it and returned it to the library for me.

Normally I walk to the train station but had to drive today. I thought I had thrown 3 singles in my bag but it was only 2 and I was only able to scrounge up 90 cents from my wallet so I was 10 cents short paying the parking meter. The next person to come up gave me $1 so I could park.

Sometimes it is the simple things in life that make me happy.

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i completely agree! i love being that stranger to someone else and providing a kindness. i think i need to actively try to do one good thing for another every day!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I was in line at Tim Horton's with my daughter in her stroller and a stranger came up and asked if she could buy a doughnut for my daughter. She gave me $5.00 and left before I could give her the change.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my heart happy!

I try to perform Random Acts of Kindness often

:heart:
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I love things like this.
    Especially, when you go through days when you think there is not a kind person left in this world. Then, out of nowhere, someone pops up and shows you that there are some decent people.

I was using one of those coinstar machines once and the container that held my change fell to the floor and the money went EVERYWHERE. Two guys and a lady walked by as I was crouched on the floor picking it all up, but two little boys stopped (as their mom just walked on I might add) to help me pick it up. I was like "aww"

It's nice to get help from people. But, I also enjoy being that stranger too. It puts a smile on peoples faces, and that makes me happy.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love performing various RAOK. It truly is better to give than receive.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    i was at the gym a couple weeks ago with the kids in the family change room and we were getting ready to go in the pool. i had forgotten my lock so i had to use the coin operated ones. we had just finished getting into our suits and jammed everything into the locker. i put 4 quarters into the machine and then realized it only took loonies and had 'eaten' my quarters.

a guy beside me was just leaving and must have overhead us. he pulled a loonie out of his pocket and gave it to us. saved me from having to get out my wallet. walk to the atm. then to the front desk and get change. it was only $1, but at that moment it felt like a lot more.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I wish this story was about me, but it is about a friend of mine and his wife.

They were coming off of the exit ramp off the interstate and noticed a car broken down. They stopped to help (my friend knows a lot about cars). The people broken down was a man and his (very) pregnant wife. My friend determined that the problem was probably a hose, and offered to drive to his house, get a hose and come back to attach it. Which he did.

If that was the end, that would be nice enough.

The hose didn't work (I forget what else was wrong), so they took the strangers to their house and - as he says "I could leave him and his pregnant wife without a car." - loaned them a car to drive for a few days while theirs got fixed.

Not many people would go to those lengths, and it makes me proud he is my friend.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wish this story was about me, but it is about a friend of mine and his wife.

They were coming off of the exit ramp off the interstate and noticed a car broken down. They stopped to help (my friend knows a lot about cars). The people broken down was a man and his (very) pregnant wife. My friend determined that the problem was probably a hose, and offered to drive to his house, get a hose and come back to attach it. Which he did.

If that was the end, that would be nice enough.

The hose didn't work (I forget what else was wrong), so they took the strangers to their house and - as he says "I could leave him and his pregnant wife without a car." - loaned them a car to drive for a few days while theirs got fixed.

Not many people would go to those lengths, and it makes me proud he is my friend.

Great story, thank you for sharing.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    i didn't want this to fall off the front page.

recently, my wife and i took my 20 month old son to an indoor play area. I got a few dollars worth of tokens for rides (those stationary rock back and forth kind of rides). He spent the entire time playing in a ball pit for little ones. As I was leaving I randomly picked some mom and asked if she could use the tokens and handed them over.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    sometimes, i will leave a credit balance on a vending machine, so the next person gets a snack for free.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Love pay it forward especially when I get to do it...
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You know, I have been in a stressed and upset mood all day...this forum made me much happier. I am glad to see this goes on for people! :happy: :heart:
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I love doing RAOK for people. Whether they are strangers or people that I know. It's a good feeling. Trying to teach it to my boys. Not sure if it is working or not though lol.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When I first looked at this title, I was sitting back in my chair with my legs propped up. All I saw was, "The kindness of strippers." Well Im going to click on that... OH strangers...opps. lol

There are some good people out there in the world. Prob is, the media doesnt like to talk about them.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Make a compliment to a random person.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i bought some kid his subway today he was in front of me in long line and his card kept getting declined so i put it on mine....felt really bad for him...one time i was in a bar in estes park colorado around christmas time......was havin a good time drunk...meeting locals....a couple from minn sat down beside me and chatted with me for hours about everything they said they were leavin and i went to bathroom later in night i went to cash out here they bought all my beer.....will never forget that
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the one who does the RAOK.

A couple times recently, I'll tell the woman at the Tim Hortons drive-thru that I will pay for the car behind me (no idea who they ever are) so that when they reach the window, they're told that their order has already been paid for.

It's just nice to know that someone will drive away happy, and feel good about life and the world.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Haha! I just remembered one!
    A few years ago, a friend of mine and I were leaving a NASCAR race and were stuck in the gridlock leaving the parking lot. It was hot, so we had our windows down, so we wouldn’t burn gas running the AC. About three guys jumped out of the vehicle a few in front of us and ran up to our car, yelled something and before we knew what happened they were gone and they had shoved about $5 in singles in my friends’ hand…we later realized what they had yelled was something about tolls, and we realized they must have been randomly targeting cars to give them singles for tolls.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We need more of these posts! Love it!