Refrigerator Oatmeal Recipes

Options
mamasmaltz3
mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
Just found The Yummy Life website last night and it has several really good recipes for refrigerator oatmeal. As I am typing I am eating my delicious apple cinnamon oatmeal. I input the recipe last night and the way I made it has 388 calories and is very filling. I added pecans to mine so you could easily leave those out and be under 300 calories.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Replies

• bluemoonvirgin
    bluemoonvirgin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    THey look lush - thanks :) I'll be trying those very soon, yum yum
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, they look delicious! I want to go buy the ingredients right now!
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Oh my gosh, they look delicious! I want to go buy the ingredients right now!

I know, thankfully I had the ingredients on hand for the apple cinnamon. Now, I can't decide if I want the raspberry vanilla or the mango almond. No, maybe I want the banana cocoa, no, make that the banana peanut....hmmmmm.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Mine, which works out to about 400 calories, is as follows:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup lowfat yogurt
    1 tablespoon cocoa (unsweetened baking kind) powder
    1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter (the kind that says ingredients: peanuts)
    1 tablespoon molasses or maple syrup
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

You can drop the calories down to about 300 if you drop the peanut butter, and you don't really need the molasses or maple syrup, it's pretty tasty unsweetened. I only eat it on days I'm bicycling in to work (14 miles each way) so I need the calories.
  • ericaavin
    Options
    Can't wait to try all of these and even some new variations!
  • castark28
    Options
    Thank you so much for this link I can't wait to make some!
  • jodiebarrette
    jodiebarrette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing that website with us. All of those look delicious! I'll be buying the ingredients and jars for the raspberry vanilla TODAY! YUMMMMMMM
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    HELLLLLLO delicious!! I made Alton Brown's overnight oatmeal last night and it was ... ok. I'm mega interested in the blueberry maple flavor but, like you, can't really decide which one I want to make before another!

Thanks for linking us up with this great breakfast idea!
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    HELLLLLLO delicious!! I made Alton Brown's overnight oatmeal last night and it was ... ok. I'm mega interested in the blueberry maple flavor but, like you, can't really decide which one I want to make before another!

Thanks for linking us up with this great breakfast idea!

I think I'll make one of each and keep them for breakfasts on weekdays! How long do you think they keep in the fridge? a week?
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by the calorie counts here. I had my refrigerator oats recipe figured out to be about 190 calories for a half-pint jar. Are you guys making a different amount, or should I re-check my math? I use truvia, not sugar/syrup, but I can't imagine it makes that much of a difference.

edit: courtniemarie, I put mine in the freezer to keep the fresh fruit from going manky, and take them out the night before. It's been working great.
  • rosedraven13
    rosedraven13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ooh thanks for the link. I've been starting to eat refrigerated oats since they let me sleep in longer in the morning, and these variations sound fantastic!
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    The author says that the recipes with the bananas are good for up to two days and the ones without are good for 4 days. Personally, I added the fruit I the morning. I would think doing that you should have no problem keeping it for a week or more as long as the expiration dates on your milk and yogurt are good for that long.

As far as the calorie count. I put in an entire granny smith apple and chopped pecans. The pecans alone added 100 calories. The chia seeds are about 60 calories a tbsp I believe. I did not add them as I did not have them. If I did I would probably leave out the pecans. She gives a list of all the great health benefits of the chia seeds one of which is making you feel full longer. Lately I have been usually eating a yogurt parfait with fresh fruit and a little bit of granola and I find myself getting hungry about an hour before lunch so I eat a little snack. Today I was satisfied until lunch and did not need the snack. I figure I am saving calories.
  • dimitrl
    dimitrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this web site. I have had problem trying to make oatmeal at work. These oatmeal recipies look great!
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Thank you so much for this web site. I have had problem trying to make oatmeal at work. These oatmeal recipies look great!

Your welcome! After the first bite I knew I had to share.
  • aggri
    aggri Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been eating these for the past 2-3 weeks almost daily. She has a lot of different combinations. My favorites are peanut butter banana (which you can make with PB2 to decrease the calories), mocha, and raspberry vanilla. It really does make it easy to eat breakfast in the morning - they can be prepared in batches that last several days (even the bananas were good after 3 days). I think the calorie count is based on 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup skim milk, and 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (not 1/2 cup as in someone's earlier post). I decrease the calories a little with almond milk.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I did the peanut butter banana the other day (without the chia seeds and with 2% milk because that's what I could get without buying a half gallon)....it was delicious.

I'm going to try the mocha and pumpkin pie in the next few days. Getting the stuff for it tonight. This whole overnight oatmeal idea is quite possibly the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love the refrigerator oatmeal (Raspberry Vanilla is my favourite combo) My two teenage sons love them too and they are the ones that prepare them now! It is so easy to do and they taste delicious!
  • dewdrops4life
    Options
    Going to try with kids today!
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    thes look awesome!