Breakfast not filling me up!

Options
For breakfast I always eat a big bowl of oatmeal(1/2cup of dry oats, cinnamon, 1tablespoon of chia seeds, and a fresh peach or apple). Within 2hours I am hungry again! I drink plenty of water all day long so I know that it's not thirst.

With school stating back up, my schedule I don't have an opportunity to eat between 9am and 12:30. I eat breakfast around 7, but can snack during my drive to school. Does anyone have any suggestions for making my oatmeal more substantial without adding a large amount of calories? Or any different breakfast suggestions? I am a vegan though, so I don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy.

Thank you!

Replies

• dancer4308
    Options
    You need more protein at breakfast to keep you fuller in the AM. I have the exact same breakfast, but add in a scoop of Sunwarrior Vegan Raw Protein Powder. I also sometimes use Almond Milk instead of water to make my oats. You will be amazed at how one scoop of protein powder keeps you fuller!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I second the scoop (or two!) of vegan protein powder. Also, sometimes I make a big tofu scramble and portion it out for the week - it has extra firm tofu, lots of veggies and maybe a potato if I'm feeling adventurous. Keeps me full and satisfied!
  • breakaway27
    breakaway27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the vegan protein powders but they all seem so expensive online--are they any cheaper in stores? Or is it better to get them online? Oh! And is Sun Warrior the best one you've tried?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I don't know any other vegans!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal too. But I plan to eat two hours later, i.e. Oatmeal and almonds at 7am, 3 hard boiled eggs at 9, and so on. Since you don't do eggs, maybe have some yogurt or almonds for a snack later. Or try adding the almonds or other nuts to your oatmeal. Some peanut butter is also a good oatmeal add in.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Some peanut butter is also a good oatmeal add in.

this. so goooooood.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but I use WHole Foods' Vegetarian Soy Protein. You'd have to check the label to see if there was any dairy or egg. At my store, it's $9.99 for the 15.6oz and $16.99 for the 31oz.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love love love the almond milk in my "COLD" oatmeal. I started making (before my workout in the am) -

1/2 cup quick oats
    1/2 - 3/4 cup almond milk
    1 tsp of sliced almonds
    drizzle of Agave Nectar

Fruit - (strawberries, blueberries) - Dump in a bowl in that order and stick in the fridge. Even for 30 minutes

ENJOY - Bump up the protein with nuts or protein powder -- with good protein in it. I tend to have a snack
    about 3 hours later (a little one) before lunch. You could always munch on some nuts on the car ride
    too -- maybe make your own trail mix to go :)
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yeah, increase the bulk by adding more fiber - I use course wheat bran, flax seed meal etc. Also be sure to use old fashioned and not quick cooking oats. The chewier the better and they will digest more slowly.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but to make my oatmeal more substantial I often will have a veggie sausage on the side. I get the morning-star ones which are 80 cals but I'm not sure if they are vegan...

If I don't want the added sodium of the fake-meat I will add nuts, hemp seeds, or flaxseed meal to my oatmeal to make it more filling.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    You're problem is not what you're eating for breakfast. This is actually not bad. If anything add another fuit.

Given how you're currently eating (I checked your diary), it seems you would be well-suited for Eat to Live by Dr Fuhrman. It would be a small adjustment to how your currently eating. You could actually end up eating more food volume, with less calories, and your cravings would go away.

You can check out my food diary from this past Tuesday to get an idea of a typical day. I never snack between meals, and it's a good 6 hours or more until I'm hungry again.

You'll also lose the weight like nobody's business. I started just over a month ago and have lost 25 lbs.
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump =)
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I checked out your diary. Have you ever considered steel cut oats? You prepare them ahead of time in the crock pot and can make them sunday night to last you the week...I find that they feel more substantial to me than any other kind of oatmeal. I would also suggest more fiber/protein in the a.m. Like a slice of pb toast. Or planning a snack within a few hours that includes nuts.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the vegan protein powders but they all seem so expensive online--are they any cheaper in stores? Or is it better to get them online? Oh! And is Sun Warrior the best one you've tried?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I don't know any other vegans!

I get mine from true nutrition.com - I find it to have the best macros, flavor and price! The brown rice/gemma pea birthday cake flavor is my personal favorite.
  • breakaway27
    breakaway27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have some Irish Steel Cut Oats in my pantry right now, but I've been putting off using them because they take so long to cook. Could you tell me how you cook them in a crock pot? Thanks!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I have some Irish Steel Cut Oats in my pantry right now, but I've been putting off using them because they take so long to cook. Could you tell me how you cook them in a crock pot? Thanks!

You can cook them in any kind of pot as long as it's big enough. Bring the water to a boil, then add the oats and put on a low simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. When finished cooking, just put it in a sealed container in the fridge, and warm up what you want in the microwave each morning, maybe adding a little water if needed.
  • SmooMurd
    Options
    I would also like to know how to cook steel cut oats in a crock pot!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am also vegan, and eat a very similiar breakfast. I have steel cut oats that have been soaked overnight in almond milk, and 1/2 cup of blueberries mixed in. Then I usually also eat a banana. I have been doing an hour of cardio every morning, and lately have been starving between breakfast and lunch. I decided to try to add a little food to my breakfast, so Itried aslice of wheat toast with PB2 this morning, and it seems to be working.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I only eat steel cut oats - they rank lower on the glycemic index than old fashioned or rolled oats. That makes me feel fuller longer.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You need to add protein to your breakfast. All you need to add along with your oatmeal is some eggs. Scramble up a couple eggs, or make a small omelette with a couple veggies alongside your bowl of oatmeal and your good to go. You need a healthy combination of carbs and protein at every meal, and try to eat something every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going and stave off hunger and sugar cravings. A handful of almonds and an apple, or peanut butter with apple, greek yogurt and piece of fruit, so on. Protein keeps you full, and when you add carbs it s the carbs that get used first and keeps the sugar cravings away.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    You need to add protein to your breakfast. All you need to add along with your oatmeal is some eggs. Scramble up a couple eggs, or make a small omelette with a couple veggies alongside your bowl of oatmeal and your good to go. You need a healthy combination of carbs and protein at every meal, and try to eat something every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going and stave off hunger and sugar cravings. A handful of almonds and an apple, or peanut butter with apple, greek yogurt and piece of fruit, so on. Protein keeps you full, and when you add carbs it s the carbs that get used first and keeps the sugar cravings away.

Oatmeal has protein, about 5 g per serving