Protein Bars- yay or nay

Options
Im looking to getting protein bars to fill the need of protein. im looking at some but want to make sure i get one with lower carb intake and higher protein..

some people say that protein bars are no good for a diet and only good for weight lifting for mass...

so 2 part question

is protein bars good for your diet intake?

which ones are recommended for lower carb and high protein?

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    They are ok to have in a pinch or when you are on the go, but if you really want to boost protein without ingesting extra carbs, go with actual food - beef jerky, tuna pouch, eggs, etc.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Protien is ALWAYS good!! I think people's issue with the bars is the sugarrrrrrrr! I have found 'no added sugar' bars, and 'low sugar' bars (the low are more tollerable than the no added!' but I kthink if you like doing the bars, you should just VERY closely watch carefully your sugar intake on those days for the rest of your meals.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    They are ok to have in a pinch or when you are on the go, but if you really want to boost protein without ingesting extra carbs, go with actual food - beef jerky, tuna pouch, eggs, etc.

^^This

Read the ingredient list ... many of them are no better than a candybar. In fact, sometimes one would be better off eating a Snickers!
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    I use a mixture of protein bars, protein powders and tuna to really boost my protein numbers.
    I go with pure protein products. I have found that the carbs aren't killer and the protein is on the higher end.
    They also taste really good!

Good luck (:
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the bars. Too much junk in there and they cost a lot. I like protein powder though (whey) and use it in otherfoods like smoothies and oatmeal., and make my own beef jerky. I think egg whites and other natural protein sources are preferable and the protein bars are not that filling.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm against powders and bars. Just eat properly and you don't have to worry about it. 4 egg whites is like 64 calories and all protein. Everything has protein in it. Just eat balanced meals.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd say anything you can do to eat more protein whilst staying in control of sugar, fats, carbs & calories is a good thing, even if you're not lifting. The fact is you're still using muscles to exercise and protein will help you out there too.

I keep some handy as they can make a great snack when you're sick of having fruit & veg!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    i use them, i often struggle to get enough protein without sailing way over calories so i usually have one after my workout. Its like everything its all down to personal preference. I use Detour Lean Muscle Whey Protein Bars. i should really make my own tho it'd be cheaper
  • KraseyBeauty
    Options
    Try Quest Protein Bars. High in protein, low in cals and sugar, and super high in fiber. Oh, and they taste great!
  • 26andholding
    Options
    I like having a protein bar handy for cravings and quick breakfasts. Look into Quest Bars - low carb, high protein, no sugars. I find them very filling.
    Ha! KraseyBeauty and I have the same idea at the same tine - and yes, they are yummy!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I definitely use them. I usually crave something sweet after my lunch, and my lunch is usually a little low on protein, so I eat a natural protein bar, like Clif, and that takes care of both of my needs!!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Behold%20i%20say%20nay%20no%20shadow.jpg:explode:

53316518.redX.gif
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    from my own experience, I bought them for when I'm in a hurry. after having one for breakfast a couple days in a row and seeing the better performance in my workouts, my bio protein bar is now my breakfast everyday. i have it with my morning coffee, very satisfying. i don't know what i was missing in my diet but these seemed to have filled the void.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've thought this too, and I looked at some when I was grocery shopping the other day. Protein bar sounded good but I looked at the nutritional info and they have lots of protein but were high in carbs/sugar as well.

I'll stick to protein powder! Have you tried that yet? One scoop usually has 25-30 g protein and 3-5 g carbs (1-2 g from fibre). Much better for weight loss!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    if you want to go with protein bars sure...you can do that...but the less process the better...

look for high organic ones, and ones with ingredient lists that you understand, instead of ones with ingredients that look like the inside of a chem lab.

if you are using them to lose weight, then watch the sugar on them too. Very important.

protein at it's basic natural state is always better and preferable...jus sayin....cause it's true.

but you can totally use protein bars to up your numbers and fill you up as long as you are smart about them.

plus...as a last comment, if you go into the recipe section of this forum, you can search for many many make your own protein bar recipes. which will eliminate most of the processed junk.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Im looking to getting protein bars to fill the need of protein. im looking at some but want to make sure i get one with lower carb intake and higher protein..

some people say that protein bars are no good for a diet and only good for weight lifting for mass...

so 2 part question

is protein bars good for your diet intake?

which ones are recommended for lower carb and high protein?

Quest Protein Bars - Cleanest bar on the market and for the calories you get 160-210 cals, 20 grams protein, 17-19 grams fiber and about 10 ingredients. Some bars are all natural. Some use Sucrolose. Some Sugar Alcohol.

2012-07-08131050.jpg

2012-07-08131020.jpg

2012-07-08120525.jpg

2012-07-08130950.jpg
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein bars. Jamie Eason's recipes for chocolate, carrot cake, and pumpkin protein bars are amazingly yummy. I add in more protein than she does with extra eggs and protein powder. They taste exponentially better than the crap-tastic bars I've bought from the store, and I know exactly what goes into them. :drinker:
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    too much sugar!!! do what that early poster said and go for some real food sources for protien like hard boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt(plain for no sugar, add your own fruit), cottage cheese, chicken, jerky, nuts, etc.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I dont like them. lots of extra carbs and sugar for no reason. i do a protein shake after my work outs. I use isopure.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein bars, cookies, brownies.... They sound decadent but there's no sugar and mostly made up of nut butter, protein powder, oat flour, cocoa powder, small amt of almond coconut milk. Sometimes I do need to add a small amt of coconut palm crystals but I add it in a tsp at a time for the whole batch. I don't need sugary sweet, more so just not to be too bitter.

I absolutely love them but I do lift. I love having them in my freezer on hand for a quick snack. I also love my protein shakes. It tastes like eating a naughty shake but only sweetened with banana. I use a plain whey protein powder.