five toed shoes

Who's wearing them??? I've always been a flat/flip flop girl... tennis shoes hurt my feet and running in them is worse! I've been running in my flats lately just so my feet don't hurt when I get home. Guess the question is would these five toed shoes be a good investment? If I could be barefoot 24/7 I would:)

Replies

• runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    the vibram five finger shoes get pretty good reviews but sort of look weird - at least in my opinion. you might check out some of the minimalist shoes out there. essentially, the same thing but they look like a normal tennis shoe, although without the arch (or drop as they call it). there are a lot of minimalist running shoes on the market right now, some are more minimal than others. the more minimal, the closer to barefoot.

i have the merell barefoot run dash glove and i like them. they even have the vibram sole. i haven't done much running in them but lots of people think they are great. normally, you would really need to ease into running and maybe even walking in these. like take it really slowly. but if you have been running in flats, then maybe not. still though, see how it goes.
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    I have some and they're great, the backs rub the hell out of my ankles while running though. Maybe just need some more breaking in or a better fit :ohwell:

They sure do start up a lot of conversations though :bigsmile:
  • ltr74
    ltr74 Posts: 2
    I love my VFF KSOs. At 230 pounds, I am not a light runner and always had trouble running in normal running store fitted shoes, knee pain, ankle pain, tendonitis, etc. Now that I switched to the KSOs, I've had none of those problems. I have had blisters and strained one muscle from running too far, too soon with them but other than that no problems. Some people love walking in them, I much prefer running in them and my heel blister is directly from walking in them with no socks or heel protection. Some people say they look funny, I'm not wearing them to make a fashion statement, but as exercise equipment.

They may not be for everyone and may not fix each persons specific problems, but it can't hurt to try them.

Here are some suggestions about them:
    - Buy Injinji toe socks to wear with them and most blister problems will be taken care of.
    - Sizing, you should have 3-5 millimeters space at the end of your longest toe.
    - They are a bit difficult to put on but after half a dozen runs, your feet start sliding into them much easier.
    - Start out slow in them, my first run with them was about 1/3 of my normal distance and should have been even less.
    - Most of my heatspot/blister problems just needed a layer of sports tape for a couple runs to take care of. IF it's a heel blister, run the tape from under your heel up well past the end of the shoe vertically or it's gonna peel off and cause problems.
    - Short, quick steps are you friend.
    - You will quickly develop a mid-foot strike with VFFs. They have little padding so few heel strikes and the pain corrects you.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Are you looking for something to wear walking around or for running? Either way I would recommend saving the money on vibrams. They can be expensive. I run completely barefoot except in cold weather. For cold weather I wear a pair of water shoes which cost under $10 at walmart. The $15 pair from West Marine was better quality but my dog chewed them.

Other options are invisible shoes and other huraches which people use for trail running.
  • MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    I have the Merrell Trail Glove shoe with the vibram sole. Same effect as the five fingers but not as weird looking. I am in love with my shoes.

Here's a picture of what they look like.....http://www.backcountry.com/merrell-pace-glove-shoe-womens
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    I have some and they're great, the backs rub the hell out of my ankles while running though. Maybe just need some more breaking in or a better fit :ohwell:

They sure do start up a lot of conversations though :bigsmile:

Band-Aid padded blister bandages may help with this. Before you put on the shoes, just put one at the back of your ankles where the shoe tends to cause friction. The padding will create a buffer between your ankle and the shoe.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    I noticed the new styles on the Olympians. Shoes have really changed, running shoes/walking. I don't run but I wear a running shoe for walking because I like the light, weight.

denise
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    If I could be barefoot 24/7 I would:)

YES.

That's what they're all about.

If you have an REI near you, get them there - they have a no-questions return policy.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    I love my Vibram FiveFingers. Scored a pink "Sprint' style on black Friday for $20 free shipping on Moosejaw.com I wear them daily for power walking and running. I like the look people give me and ask "What are those?" lol
  • koru_clark
    koru_clark Posts: 5 Member
    Have a pair on right now. If you get them, start slow and make sure they fit like a glove. Typically a .5 size smaller than what you are used to.

Again, START SLOW. Our feet are not used to having only a small slice of rubber under them and that is all. I built up my walking in them over a period of a couple months and then started running. In 4 months I was up to 4 miles running, but it was slow going. If you start too fast, you risk stress fractures, etc. as our feet just simply aren't very strong in a traditional shoe or flip flop that will almost always have a drop built in (i.e. your heel is higher than your toe).

I second the toe socks. These shoes can get super funky super fast. Best way to avoid that is the socks. Also, walking in them kinda sucks without socks as I have also had some HUGE heel blisters. Once I started running more, those went away as you will be forced into a more natural run.

Last, but not least, start slow...I know I already said that, but please be careful!

P.S. If you are like me, once you get used to them and fall in love, you won't want to wear anything else. My feet actually hurt in traditional shoes or flip flops now!
  • koru_clark
    koru_clark Posts: 5 Member
    One other thing...My picture was taken in Colorado...I was hiking on a mountain at about 12,000 feet or so. My hiking shoe of choice? The Vibram hiking shoe. I told you, I love them...A LOT!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member

This was true for me as well, to the point of exposing the bone spur I have grown over the years right under my achilles.

Owie.

I don't tighten that one down as much anymore.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    xkcd_individual_toe_shoes_immortality.png?mtime=1338987403

in all seriousness, i like my minimalist shoes (wearing them in this picture) but here's an article against them. http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2449
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    My concern with you moving to a minimalist shoe is that your feet ALREADY hurt when you get home in a shoe that has more sole than a Vibram. What type of pain is it? Joint? Arch? Heel? The balls of your feet from the pounding?

Also, what distances do you run? And what's your weekly mileage like? If you do buy them, they will have to be slowly worked into your running shoe rotation (which already isn't working for you), over the course of months to avoid injury & condition your muscles & bones to accommodate the radical changes.

A lot of people swear by them, however I own a pair of Vibram Sprints, I run 6 days per week...and I DON'T run in them. I used them for about 6 months after I bought them (for my shorter runs), & couldn't deal with the lack of support or padding with the constant pounding of pavement as a forefoot runner. Also, feeling the heat of the pavement & every rock underfoot is ok while walking, but a nuisance while running to be honest. I still wear them sometimes for walking about (they're a cool shoe), but they're still not my first choice, and the novelty has worn off.

Get fitted & try running in them around the store. It won't be a true to life feel, but it will give you an idea. :smile:
  • sweetlyawesome
    sweetlyawesome Posts: 16 Member
    I looooove mine! I would get a lot of pain in my feet when I would wear regular running shoes. My feet would go numb and when I would take them off it was a flood of pain. I bought my fila skele-toes on the hopes that the problem would disappear. To my surprise it did!!! I would be shoe free 24/7 also. These allow me to feel that way with a thicker sole so that I'm not so worried about running over rocky areas. Definatently recommend them!
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    I think I've been looking at vibram ones for run/walking... I'm not a long distance runner even though my neighbor would love if I could be... I'm pretty flat footed so I guess I'll hit up an rei store and try some on to see how they fit:/
  • ltr74
    ltr74 Posts: 2
    My concern with you moving to a minimalist shoe is that your feet ALREADY hurt when you get home in a shoe that has more sole than a Vibram. What type of pain is it? Joint? Arch? Heel? The balls of your feet from the pounding?

Also, what distances do you run? And what's your weekly mileage like? If you do buy them, they will have to be slowly worked into your running shoe rotation (which already isn't working for you), over the course of months to avoid injury & condition your muscles & bones to accommodate the radical changes.

A lot of people swear by them, however I own a pair of Vibram Sprints, I run 6 days per week...and I DON'T run in them. I used them for about 6 months after I bought them (for my shorter runs), & couldn't deal with the lack of support or padding with the constant pounding of pavement as a forefoot runner. Also, feeling the heat of the pavement & every rock underfoot is ok while walking, but a nuisance while running to be honest. I still wear them sometimes for walking about (they're a cool shoe), but they're still not my first choice, and the novelty has worn off.

Get fitted & try running in them around the store. It won't be a true to life feel, but it will give you an idea. :smile:

I've heard similar complaints about the sprints on other forums. I think the Sprints have a 2mm sole while the KSOs I run in have a 3.5mm sole. Maybe that's why you have issues with rocks and the heat and I've never had a problem with either.

I don't know about the months of breaking in though. Mine took about 3 weeks to break in and get me back to running 5k three times a week. And I did have a slight strain on my second run from going too far too soon, but 2 extra days of rest and everything was back to normal.

As far as the OP and others looking to buy VFFs, go to a store and try them on until you find the style/size you want then look online. I bought my KSOs from REI outlet for 40% off.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    I have a pair of Vibram KSOs and a pair of New Balance Minimus Shoes with the Vibram sole.

I've lifted and ran in both pair. I've done walks in both pair. I've ran races in both pair. I'm a big guy. I'm 6'4" and 276. Best piece of advice anyone ever gave me regarding any shoes like this was: "If you buy a pair, wear them for several weeks, not exercising but around the house and town. After a few weeks ease them into your workout routine, but keep a normal pair of shoes handy."

You're going to hurt, but it's just for adjustment. I've gotten to the point I'd rather lift weights in the Five Fingers and run in the New Balances. I might swap it up here in a couple of weeks for a challenge, but to each their own.

Try on different types before settling.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Oh, they could definitely handle 5k a few times a week! It's the 10k, 15k, 20k, 25k I found they just weren't suitable for, even after a couple of months of getting used to them, (& especially when running 6 days per week). You're right though, it's probably for the very reason you mentioned, the super thin Sprint sole. I may try a different Vibram one day, but I'm very happy with Mizunos now. OMG Mizuuuuunos. :heart:

1981simm, do give it a shot. REI is a huge enough store that you could get a real good stride in. Don't worry about feeling silly, if you have to run a mile around the store, do it, because getting the right shoe is so essential. :smile:
  • finupb
    finupb Posts: 13
    I started off running in KSOs and loved them. I then switched to the bikila ls, and loved them even more, the little extra sole they had really helped when I was doing 7+ mile runs. I recently picked up a pair of the new balance minimums road zero shoes and love them. I'm transitioning them more into my running and using my five fingers more for strength training