What do you eat to reduce body fat?

Options
I regularly see people saying that its what you eat that helps to lose body fat but what exactly should you be eating? I've just lost weight by eating what I feel like but at a deficit but I'm still a bit skinny fat not that I'm complaining as I look the best I ever have in my life but would like to be a bit less squishy.

Oh and before anyone says lift heavy I don't go to the gym so apart from lifting the kids I have no weights.

Replies

• Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    you have to build muscle, simple as that, you can keep loosing weight but until you build muscle and reduce body fat you'll always be skinny fat. you can do things at home to build muscle. I use my friends toddlers and babies as weights sometimes, 20 to 30 pounds right there and they love when I bench press them. Find creative ways to include your strength training, do lunges across the house, use your kids for resistence, use whatever you have around the house. When I was younger I would use gallons of water and cans of beans for my weights. I use our back yard playground to do pull ups and chairs to do all kinds of things.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Fewer calories than you burn...

/captain obvious
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I eat not fat.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You lose body fat by eating at a healthy deficit. There are no miracle foods (unless you have an actual documented medical condition). Just eat healthy. That's the only way.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What you eat: High protein, low carb, NO SATURATED/TRANS fat
    What you do: weight train!!! :-) Target sells cheap dumbbells NO EXCUSES
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Protein, not carbs.

Good fat, specifically Omega 3.
  • clarechieri
    clarechieri Posts: 60 Member
    Options

It's not an excuse I live in the UK and can't afford them
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% nutrition.

One line response to lose weight - be more active, eat more whole foods, track your intake, measure results and adjust as necessary.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The answer is; LESS than you burn.

In terms of pure calorie reduction it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are below your TDEE (daily calorie burn). That said (and before the flaming reply posts appear) for your health it matters what you eat a great deal. In general, eat stuff that used to be alive. Lean meats (if that's your thing), vegetables, fruits, nuts, and whole grains in moderation. Try to minimize sugar and processed foods as a general rule, and your weight loss will pretty much take care of itself. There are lots of variations on this theme, but in general everybody pretty much agrees on eating less processed food, sugar and salt. GOOD LUCK!
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeah its all about what you eat. You should eat about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight and about .4 grams of HEALTY fat per lb of body fat. So usually in a healty weight loss diet you want 40%protein 35%carbs and 25% fat. Still eat around 500 calories below maintenance. Keep working out and you'll see amazing results and feel alot better
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Lift anything. Jugs of water. Children, small pets.... whatever you have.. !!!
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Use canned goods or bottles of water, something like that - something that will add some resistance. Good Luck
  • di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ok then use something else to lift weights with…cans of peaches, jug of laundry detergent, anything can be used!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lots of raspberries for the raspberry ketones
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    less
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

there's bound to be a puregym pops up somewhere beside you - they are about £12 a month and open 24 hrs.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    argos sells cheap weights im sure.... or amazon?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You recommend avoiding ALL saturated fats and trans fats?
  • asticoral
    Options
    I surfed around looking for exercise ideas I could do on my own without having to buy anything. I think you'd have no problem with regular, dance or yoga type calisthenics. Weights are easy, anything in a tin or plastic, going up and down stairs, jumping jacks, jogging or biking. Get your heart rate up, keep it going until you sweat then something easy to cool down.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Push ups
    Squats
    Lunges

... pretty sure you will remain 'skinny fat' until you begin building muscle, which will require strength training of some kind.