Spicy Skillet Chicken

Options
Wingnut755
Wingnut755 Posts: 35 Member
I love this recipe ever since my wife cooked it for me its amazing. However wondering if any of
you can see about knocking a few cals, off of it.

1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (11 oz) Green Giant® SteamCrisp® Mexicorn® whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, undrained
1/3 cup Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa
2 cups hot cooked rice

1 Serving (1 Serving)Calories 510(Calories from Fat 80),Total Fat 9g(Saturated Fat 2g,Trans Fat 0g),Cholesterol 85mg;Sodium 1070mg;Total Carbohydrate 63g(Dietary Fiber 11g,Sugars 5g),Protein 43g;Percent Daily Value*:Vitamin A 6 %;Vitamin C 4 %;Calcium 8 %;Iron 25 %;Exchanges:3 1/2 Starch;0 Fruit;1/2 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;0 Vegetable;4 1/2 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;0 High-Fat Meat;1 Fat;Carbohydrate Choices:4;*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Replies

• danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! - but I would be of no help cutting the calories.

Maybe take out the 1Tbs of Oil (-150)
    Change the Rice from White to Brown (no idea on the difference)

Still - it sounds amazing
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty darn healthy to me......maybe cut the rice to 1 cup- that would cut a bit of the calories- but maybe make it less filling..... Oh I've got it!! Just cut the porion down to 3/4 of a portion! Same great recipie, 1/4 less calories :wink:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'd reduce the amount of rice, take the oil to a tsp or 2, and maybe reduce the amount of chicken a bit. But really 510 for a complete meal isn't much...
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do with it. If that much protein is what you're looking at for a meal, and you're talking 4 servings, it's actually pretty good calorie wise. But if you don't need much protein in this meal, reduce the amt of chicken. If you reduce the beans, you may lose their impact and change the taste you like. It's all a balance...

You could look at reducing the chicken breast to 3 or even 2 - chopping it to be split evenly (or shredding, depending on how it's cooked) - and using a nice veggie diced to bulk it out. Maybe zucchini and jicima? Both should take on the salsa flavor nicely, jicima gives a nice crunch, just don't overcook the zucchini (unless you don't mind it soft.)

2 cups cooked rice, if this is 4 servings, is decent though. 1/2 cup each is very reasonable. I wouldn't reduce that, as you'd notice it too much if you're trying to keep it 'the same'. But reducing the meat should help and still not be overbalanced by the beans.
  • I_Run_with_Angels
    Options
    bump
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally worth the calories to me! I'm havin this!
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I actually make this same exact recipe but in the crock pot, instead of rice, I just pour the sauce and chicken over a huge plate a greens and eat it as a salad with dressing! Its pretty yummy that way!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe ever since my wife cooked it for me its amazing. However wondering if any of
    you can see about knocking a few cals, off of it.

1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
    1 can (11 oz) Green Giant® SteamCrisp® Mexicorn® whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, undrained
    1/3 cup Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa
    2 cups hot cooked rice

1 Serving (1 Serving)Calories 510(Calories from Fat 80),Total Fat 9g(Saturated Fat 2g,Trans Fat 0g),Cholesterol 85mg;Sodium 1070mg;Total Carbohydrate 63g(Dietary Fiber 11g,Sugars 5g),Protein 43g;Percent Daily Value*:Vitamin A 6 %;Vitamin C 4 %;Calcium 8 %;Iron 25 %;Exchanges:3 1/2 Starch;0 Fruit;1/2 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;0 Vegetable;4 1/2 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;0 High-Fat Meat;1 Fat;Carbohydrate Choices:4;*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Just eat half a portion and serve with a garden salad!
  • tnladyvol
    Options
    bump
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious!
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious! I'd cut the chicken pieces in half and have half as a portion, I'd add a can of rotel tomatoes & double the salsa and use brown rice. I think it would be more filling too.