How do you get past these late night eating urges

Options

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I go to bed. You're likely hungry late at night because your body is tired and needs energy.

I do this too. I have a big glass of water and go to bed.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Since I enjoy eating the most late in the evening, I try to save my calories for then. It's almost like a reward for not overeating all day.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm stuck on cheese and crackers :( Gotta kick this late nighter to the curb soon!

But some great suggestions I've received: Popcorn! Tea! Water! Celery! Carrots! Apples!

For something sweet: Sugar Free Pudding (70 cals)

That's what I do at least. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. But it's better than chips and cookies and ice cream.
  • DPommell
    Options
    i wake up in the middle of the night all the time and i get a tablespoon of peanut butter its just a nuff to let me go back to sleep with out felling like i am starving to death
  • DPommell
    Options
    i also so have a sweet tooth i love chocolate and i have found Brookside dark chocolate pomegrante i'll eat 5 pc and awe'sssss so good and there is only 25 calories in 5 pc and it is good for you loaded in flavanol antioxidants
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I really like the tablespoon of peanut butter idea. It makes sense since fat and protein makes you feel satisfied for a while. I think I'll give this a try.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    This is a big problem for me too!

Some tips that have helped me are...

- Brush your teeth (no one likes to eat after that!)
    - Glass of water
    - Reading
    - Peanut butter (It actually helps you sleep too!)
    - Going to sleep (The most simple one)

This is almost exactly what I do. I don't like to eat PB neat though, so instead of that I'll sometimes have a glass of milk (usually almond). I have to really think about it when I get late night eating urges. Sometimes it's just a mental hunger, but sometimes I am justifiably physically hungry & the extra calories work out OK. So far at least.
  • DPommell
    Options
    i am going to share this on my face book page this great and it works for me
  • liberella
    liberella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I take a little inventory -- if I'm really hungry, some fat free milk mixed with a scoop of protein powder. If I'm not, sugar free hard candies -- lemon and cinnamon seem to work best. Usually after two of them I'm good.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Go to bed! If you are sleeping you cant eat! I noticed if i stay up too late i end up eating...last night i stayed up until 2am...and i pigged out dangit!
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I like to have either a bowl of wholegrain cereal or a bowl of oatmeal with cocoa powder so it's like a dessert...it really is working for me right now and I'm still staying under my calories.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with that late night snack too, before I started losing weight I fixed it with a peanut butter and honey sandwich. I can assure you I haven't had one of those in over a year!

Usually I:

1. Brush my teeth / scope
    2. Drink water
    3. Walk the dog
    4. Go to bed
    5. Look at pictures of my progress to remind myself why I don't wanna snack.

6. Every once in a while if I'm under cal I'll go ahead and have a snack. But I keep it to a 100 cal pack of Lorna Doone's So yummy.
  • ArmyWifePagano
    ArmyWifePagano Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important part of the day. I either go to bed hungry and have a good breakfast the next morning [oatmeal usually] or if I HAVE to have something, I have some peanut butter or a granola bar.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    go too bed

that's it! Also -- cut the carbs waaaaay down. You won't get the crazy cravings at night.
  • kirstiestrange
    Options
    skip breakfast and save calories for night time.

What he said. If you know you're gonna wanna eat at night - save some calories for then.

worst idea ever, sorry.

breakfast is the most important meal of the day for a reason... it kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day and chances are if you eat breakfast you'll stay less hungry throughout the day. You could try eating a lower calorie lunch maybe and save some room there, but DON'T skip breakfast...

I'll admit I am a guilty night time eater too, but you have to find what works. A good one for me is having some water, but with a crystal lite package in it cause then you are getting something sweet. I previously lost 40 pounds before I found this site, and that was something that always helped. Having some frozen berries (sounds weird, but works for me!) to snack on always makes me feel like I'm getting a little bit of a treat as well.

it's also called breakfast for a reason too.. you are breaking the fast you put your body in all night.. you wouldn't do 6-8 hours during the day without eating...
  • Bere4ever
    Bere4ever Posts: 188
    Options
    you can eat a banana that will help you and you will accelerate your metabolism!!!:wink::wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter does the trick for me too. Always thought I was the only one lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. I enjoy eating at night so I eat 2/3 of my calories (which currently means 2200) between 6:30pm and 9:30 pm then straight to bed sometimes chewing my last bite. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight control.

I break down my day like this:

5 am work out
    6:15 am 250 cal protein shake
    noon-ish 800 cal lunch
    6:30pm 800 cal dinner
    8 - 9:30pm 1500 cal of "after dinner"

then sleep and repeat.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If it is real late, I go to bed. If it is early, say like 9pm, eat something small and drink water. If it is going to make you go over for the day, do some light running or walking in place to offset the calories. ??
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    go too bed

That'll do it! lol

ditto

but if I am utterly famished and my stmach is climbing my throat in search of foo, I will have a snack, like half a PB&J ot steel cut oats with flax seed....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!