Running Shoes

I am a heel striker who has developed terrible shin splints. I know the only way to fix this issue is by correcting my gait, which I am working on slowly but surely. However, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good pair of shoes that encourage a mid foot strike to aide me in my transition? I figure a good pair of shoes can only help my efforts! So far I've been told Skora and Newtons? I am not very familiar with either of these brands. Does anyone have any info on these shoes, particularly the Skora? Any other suggestions welcome as well! Thanks!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Go to a good running shoe store, one where the people are knowledgeable about running and running shoes. I run in Asics and am not a heel striker but that doesn't mean my shoes or anyone elses shoes are right for you. Spend the money and the time and go to a store where people can watch and evaluate you running.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    If you have time go to a running store. They will work with you on finding the best sneaker. They usually have you run on a treadmill and watch your gait. The shoes cost a little more but worth it!
  • I have been to several reputable running stores, had my gait analyzed, and shoes recommended, but each shoe has led to a different issue. I know each person's needs when it comes to shoes are different, but I'm just looking for any suggestions from you all that might be worth looking into. Thanks!
  • PrincessRunner1
    PrincessRunner1 Posts: 18 Member
    I used to get really bad shin spints too! I wear ASICS religiously now. I love them.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    My podiatrist recommended Asics or New Balance and be sure they're under 4lbs.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Newtons. Research. Now!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Rach, you may have already seen this on my wall post, but I'll elaborate here for anyone else that is reading this thread.

I think it's safer to work on your stride in the shoes that you are currently using. To add another dimension to the transition is just going to make it more difficult and may lead to further injury and setbacks. The reason the minimalist shoes works is because it hurts when you run with improper form in them. Google "running form drills" and incorporate those as well as the work on cadence that you are doing.

As for the Newtons, I put them in the gimmick category right beside Sketcher's Shape Ups.
  • CarsonRuns

4 POUNDS? That's 64 ounces. Running shoes are between 6 and 14 ounces or so.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    As "gimmicky" as one person may think (SHEESH) they are I can tell you that Newtons took this 6 mile per year runner with a bum knee to a marathoner in one year. I have no more knee (or shin) pain. Do I think you can adapt a midfoot strike in other shoes - hell yes. BUT, I know that they helped my physically and mentally. So, OP why not give them a shot? Many running stores have tracks or treadmills so you can at least just TRY them.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Rach, you may have already seen this on my wall post, but I'll elaborate here for anyone else that is reading this thread.

I think it's safer to work on your stride in the shoes that you are currently using. To add another dimension to the transition is just going to make it more difficult and may lead to further injury and setbacks. The reason the minimalist shoes works is because it hurts when you run with improper form in them. Google "running form drills" and incorporate those as well as the work on cadence that you are doing.

As for the Newtons, I put them in the gimmick category right beside Sketcher's Shape Ups.

Since you've already been. This sounds like good advice. Good luck to you:)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member

^^^ This

One change at a time. Transitioning to a mid foot strike takes time and a conscientious effort, I sort of cheated by running outdoors in winter - slippery conditions forced me to shorten my stride unless I wanted to fall on my butt and I just stayed with it when the snow melted.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363

Any particular reason? I absolutely love mine, as you may have noticed in the myriad other shoe threads. My story is similar enough to MarineCodie's that I don't really see the need to elaborate right now.
  • CarsonRuns
    As "gimmicky" as one person may think (SHEESH)...

Easy there Marine. Just stating my opinion. It's shared by others as well. I'm really happy that they worked for you. I just think there are lot of other things you can do for your running form that the shoes profess to do.

Semper Fi
  • Capekj51
    Capekj51 Posts: 17 Member
    Sometimes, it's not just the type of show, but it's the shoe size that makes a difference. I used to have a ton of different issues when running, but then went to a store with certified orthopedists on staff. What they discovered is that I have a very long arch and needed to wear a larger shoe to accommodate that. Normally I'd wear a 9 or 9.5. Now a wear a 10.5 in running shoes and I've not had any problems, since! Like many other posters, I'm a big fan of Asics and, especially if you are doing a lot of running, it does make a difference if you pay a bit more for the mid- to high-end shoes. Good luck! I hope you find the right shoes for you!!
  • CarsonRuns

Any particular reason? I absolutely love mine, as you may have noticed in the myriad other shoe threads. My story is similar enough to MarineCodie's that I don't really see the need to elaborate right now.

I kind of mention it in my previous post. The shoe is attempting to make changes to the way you foot strike. It's is designed to make you run the way you are supposed to run to begin with. Why not use form drills and cadence work to achieve the same results. It's a lot less expensive and it's more sustainable. Once you have trained your body to run the correct way, you can start to wear less and less shoe if you want to. I don't know the answer to this, but I think it would be very difficult to go from a Newton shoe to a minimalist shoe of any kind, like a racing flat for example. The body is expecting the shoe to do the work and when it's not there to do it...I don't know. What IS going to happen?

But again, if it works for you or someone else, that's wonderful. I wouldn't deny anyone the joy of running.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Sometimes, it's not just the type of show, but it's the shoe size that makes a difference. I used to have a ton of different issues when running, but then went to a store with certified orthopedists on staff. What they discovered is that I have a very long arch and needed to wear a larger shoe to accommodate that. Normally I'd wear a 9 or 9.5. Now a wear a 10.5 in running shoes and I've not had any problems, since! Like many other posters, I'm a big fan of Asics and, especially if you are doing a lot of running, it does make a difference if you pay a bit more for the mid- to high-end shoes. Good luck! I hope you find the right shoes for you!!

What store? Why would a medical doctor want to work at a shoe store? That's wild - seriously!!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Sometimes, it's not just the type of show, but it's the shoe size that makes a difference.

I wear at least 1 1/2 sizes larger in my running shoes than I do in 'regular' shoes. I love my Brooks Ghosts, they are a perfect fit to me and my wide, heel striking feet.

Edit to add that the Ghosts were picked out for me by the super nice lady at the running shoe store after watching me on the treadmill. She gave me three choices and the Brooks just felt 'right'!
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403

Seriously! Are you doing weight training in them?
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member

Exactly my thought. My lightest are 4.8 and my heavy ones are 8.6, ounces - not pounds.

And I think by switching shoes, you're just avoiding the issue at hand. You need to work on form and stride.
    I also think you need to be checked out by an ortho or sports med doctor.
  • CarsonRuns
    My lightest are 4.8

I need to get some new, lightweight racing flats. Mine are a couple years old. I'm amazed at how they continue to trim the weight off these things.