What do you eat to reduce body fat?

Options

Replies

• KittahRahbet
    KittahRahbet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can use your body weight for weight training until you can figure out how to get weights.
    Wall sits, lunges, planks, deep squats.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Fat.

seriously
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    use your body weight, u don't have to buy weights.
  • smartfitmom3
    Options
    You can fill lift two filled up water jugs as weights. You can even lift your kids for weights. I have 3 kids ages 3 and under so it isn't really an excuse. In all reality there are many instances where you have to end up spending something.You have to invest in your healthy sometimes. See if there is something you can cut out of your budget. I got dumbbells from walmart for $11. But like I said there are things you can use around the house if you want to.

What you can eat to burn fat is just eating healthy foods. Healthy fats,complex carbs, high protein foods but low in sugar and saturated fats. Very minimal amounts of processed foods.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There are several people who do youtube videos of strictly bodyweight exercise. Search bodyweight circuit. I hear Craig Ballantyne is pretty good.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    After your body gets use to the gallon jugs of water, Fill some empty gallon jugs with sand or dirt and lift those. Use your arms and also lift them with your legs. Lay on the floor with legs together and up, bend your knees so you assume the "Tabletop position" place the jugs on their side over your calves and slowly move your legs down then back to tabletop position. Make sure to hold your core muscles in while doing this. Build up to 3 sets of 15 reps.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    The answer is; LESS than you burn.

In terms of pure calorie reduction it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are below your TDEE (daily calorie burn). That said (and before the flaming reply posts appear) for your health it matters what you eat a great deal. In general, eat stuff that used to be alive. Lean meats (if that's your thing), vegetables, fruits, nuts, and whole grains in moderation. Try to minimize sugar and processed foods as a general rule, and your weight loss will pretty much take care of itself. There are lots of variations on this theme, but in general everybody pretty much agrees on eating less processed food, sugar and salt. GOOD LUCK!

Wait...less then you burn!? I burn 200-300 calories a day at a 1200 calorie deficit are u saying i need to burn morr then 1200 a day? Im so confused pahah
  • hparker2
    hparker2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    resistance bands are also inexpensive. I found mine for like $9 at tjmaxx. I use that in my turbofire strength training workouts and its really helping me get more defined.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the leanest proteins I can find
    lots of nuts and berries
    zero dried fruit
    zero butter
    zero trans fats
    zero potato chips and fried foods
    tons of leafy green vegetables
    cooking with safflower and sunflower oil
    lots of fresh stirfries
    brown rice
    quinoa
    oatmeal
    low sugar high protein and fiber cereals
    whole grain pitas and tortillas
    corn tortillas
    tons of fish
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah its all about what you eat. You should eat about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight and about .4 grams of HEALTY fat per lb of body fat. So usually in a healty weight loss diet you want 40%protein 35%carbs and 25% fat. Still eat around 500 calories below maintenance. Keep working out and you'll see amazing results and feel alot better

I don't know where you got your info but I think you have carbs and protein mixed up. As far as I know 1 gram of protein per LEAN pound of body mass helps but your protein % should not exceed your carb % and should not exceed 35% maximum. That much protein is hard on your body and can cause as much liver damage as being an alcoholic.

I'm studying nutrition and this is what I've found in my classes so far so if a fellow dietitian knows differently please correct me.

Balance is good, 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% healthy fats is a good starting point but everyone is different. Lifting weights is going to help you do lift household items, get creative, do body weight exercises. If you can't get weights go buy a resistance band and google some exercises.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    about 500 to 1000 caloires less then what I burn in a day.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    for bodyweight training Convict Conditioning and there are Several others check out you tube Im sure you will find lotsa of things to do
  • slynn28
    slynn28 Posts: 93
    Options
    Less bad carbs...high protein..lots of veggies with fiber..water is your best drink ever!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What you eat: High protein, low carb, NO SATURATED/TRANS fat
    What you do: weight train!!! :-) Target sells cheap dumbbells NO EXCUSES

It's not an excuse I live in the UK and can't afford them

there's bound to be a puregym pops up somewhere beside you - they are about £12 a month and open 24 hrs.
    I got all excited about this, but my nearest puregym is 3 hours away :(
    I bought some cheap weights from Argos, and Sports Direct had some in the sales recently - but really you use anything as previous posters have said :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I eat not fat.

Yeah, yeah, I know most of us are still in this "don't eat fat if you want to lose fat" mentality, but not all fat is equal. I'm having great results, and even better, I am getting healthier on a 65 fat, 25 protein, 10 carb eating plan.

I agree with others, you will need to find a way to get in some strength training. Playing with the kids will do it. Pick them up, swing them around, body slam them (GENTLY, they love it!), pack them part of the time while you hike/walk, have them lay on your feet and then leg press them into the air (they love that too)... Use your imagination. Of course, older kids may not be as accommodating to being your exercise equipment. Do the best you can with what you have. Resistance bands are cheap and easy too.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options

there's bound to be a puregym pops up somewhere beside you - they are about £12 a month and open 24 hrs.
    I bought some cheap weights from Argos, and Sports Direct had some in the sales recently - but really you use anything as previous posters have said :)

me too - but mine is 60 miles away and over a toll bridge (not to mention being in a different country LOL)

but I bought 2nd hand dumbells for £5 at a car boot (could probably have knocked them down a bit more if I tried), and do body weight exercises - or lift the baby: he loves it!!!!

as to what to eat - the only answer is "less than you require to maintain"
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah its all about what you eat. You should eat about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight and about .4 grams of HEALTY fat per lb of body fat. So usually in a healty weight loss diet you want 40%protein 35%carbs and 25% fat. Still eat around 500 calories below maintenance. Keep working out and you'll see amazing results and feel alot better

I don't know where you got your info but I think you have carbs and protein mixed up. As far as I know 1 gram of protein per LEAN pound of body mass helps but your protein % should not exceed your carb % and should not exceed 35% maximum. That much protein is hard on your body and can cause as much liver damage as being an alcoholic.

I'm studying nutrition and this is what I've found in my classes so far so if a fellow dietitian knows differently please correct me.

Balance is good, 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% healthy fats is a good starting point but everyone is different. Lifting weights is going to help you do lift household items, get creative, do body weight exercises. If you can't get weights go buy a resistance band and google some exercises.

Currently studying nutrition based on the SAD. Yup, I've still got those health "professionals" telling me to eat 11-12 servings of grain... good thing that I actually do know better for MY body, based on trial and error, observations of my Inuit neighbours, and thousands of hours of research. The person you quoted were off by 5% of what you think is healthy and you felt the need to correct it? Well, then you'll just love my numbers! :laugh:
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options

me too - but mine is 60 miles away and over a toll bridge (not to mention being in a different country LOL)

but I bought 2nd hand dumbells for £5 at a car boot (could probably have knocked them down a bit more if I tried), and do body weight exercises - or lift the baby: he loves it!!!!

as to what to eat - the only answer is "less than you require to maintain"

MrsAgi, I do believe we're talking about the same city, lol! :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss...well done!!!! There is no magic food to reduce body fat. Staying in a calorie deficit is what makes us lose weight. As you know!!!...look at how successful you've been. So rest assured that you didn't miss some hidden shortcut along the way! If you wish to continue your transformation (you referenced skinny fat) I would suggest strength training.
  • clarechieri
    clarechieri Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice I'm going to look start using the kids as weights as the wake up.

I looked up puregym and my nearest is 11miles away so sadly not possible :( but you never no they might build one nearer. Thanks again :)