Healthy Alternative to Bread (UK)

Options
Hi all,

Does anybody have any recommendations for healthy alternatives to bread? Hubby is taking sandwiches to work and is finding that the bread is really bumping up the calories of his lunch.

We tried nimble but it wasn't great. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Kaz

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Try an un-wich. Sandwich stuff wrapped in lettuce leaves.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    How about rice salads or tuna salads or something instead?
    I like shine on raws suggestions for mixing up a salad
    http://www.shineonraw.com/tasty/the-perfect-salad-easy-as-1-2-3/ and if he eats meat or fish throw some of that in?
  • Kremlin16
    Options
    I love doing all the previous suggestions, but sometimes I just need my bread so then I just do an open face sandwich and make sure its piled high with veggies, lean protein and low fat cheese. I don't miss the other slice of bread at all!:)
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I put most thing in tortilla shells. Sandwiches, burgers, chicken, etc. Here we have LaBanderita fajita shells that are only 80 calories for two of them.
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    pepperidge farm has a line of low Calorie breads..
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I put most thing in tortilla shells. Sandwiches, burgers, chicken, etc. Here we have LaBanderita fajita shells that are only 80 calories for two of them.

I need sleep, just read that as tortoise shells:embarassed:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Asda have a good range of lunch tupperware, specifically for taking salads to go, with separate compartments. Check out both the kids lunch bit and the grown up tupperware areas, many stores are keeping them separate.

Edited because I missed the Nimble bit. Something very important I learnt about diet, was when a friend threw a tantrum about having a 'proper' sandwich for once. You may find that if you are constantly choosing diet options of snacks and breads and stuff, you may have less satiety than if you had just had a 'proper' sandwich/snack.
  • Mhairih30
    Mhairih30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hear you, the nimble bread is awful....even worse for toasting it just falls apart :s I use the Weight Watchers Thickcut Wholemeal bread, think its like 70 cals per slice and its more filling and "sturdy" than nimble, happy sandwiching :0)
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Try low carb/high fiber tortillas. I do wraps instead of sandwiches and it saves a lot of calories. Don't know if you have the brand there, but in the States, La Tortilla Factory makes some excellent ones.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    warburtons thins they are 100cals and u get the top and bottom in that for your sandwich :)
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Some really good suggestions here! Thanks guys :happy:
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Haha well that would be a good diet plan seeing I would never be able to chew through the toritise shell to get to the acutal food :laugh:
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Ew!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I must be odd because I really like the wholemeal hovis nimble bread! :laugh:
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    pitta bread is good (weight watchers I like), only wrap 1/2 lemon in cling film to squeeze late if you don't want mush.

Just saw hairy dieters and they suggested a wrap:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tuna_nioise_wrap_20414
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So, my doctor who is pretty natural considering...suggested I each sour dough whole GRAIN (not wheat) bread... I found a brand here in Canada that Costco sells and it's tasty...now, I have cut way back on how many sandwhiches and bread I eat (making salads the the meat I would have put on a sandwich) but the odd time with eggs, I feel better eating the sourdough bread.