What foods do you bring for on the go??

Options
We are going to the Bronx Zoo this weekend, and though they do have some semi-healthy options (can't remember if they offer salad...) I would like to bring my own lunch and snacks.

I'm looking for options for some healthy foods that I can bring with me. Remember I'll have to carry it while walking the entire zoo, so I don't want anything to heavy! Its going to be hot, so it has to be temp. friendly!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• cemithballstar
    cemithballstar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe trail mix as a snack?
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bring wheat thins everywhere! and string cheese, dry cereal, peanut butter crackers, beef jerky, etc...
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I bring wheat thins everywhere! and string cheese, dry cereal, peanut butter crackers, beef jerky, etc...

I've actually never had any kind of "jerky" ever, but thats probably not a bad idea. Good amount of protein I was think... Only issue would be the amount of sodium in it... I'll have to check it out - Thanks!!
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    last time we went to the bronx zoo, we did eat there, but we walked so much i didn't worry about it. :) we did bring our own snacks though, and included the following: protein granola bars, almonds, trail mix, fruit bites (the dole ones), apples. for a lunch, i'd probably just bring a nut butter sandwich on a sandwich round, fruit, maybe some veggie straws. we brought water, but we also bought water there because it was pretty hot.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE "Kind" bars - super low sodium as well.
  • misschrissy18
    Options
    You've never had jerky? That's just SILLY!! (unless your vegetarian).

Jerky is great, but it is very high in sodium.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    BEEF JERKY! High protein, very low fat, but higher in sodium, so get lots of H20!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bananas. Grapes. Dates. Cherries. Any fruit that will fit in a ziploc bag or comes with it's own natural packaging (banana peel) that requires no tools to open.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You can make your own trail mix: high-fiber/low-sugar cereal (chex, shredded wheat, cheerios etc.), dried fruits, nuts, seeds, even some chocolate chips or m&m's.

Other than that:

- pb&j sandwiches
    - granola bars
    - veggie sticks
    - fruit
    - pudding cups
    - crackers and a small container with peanut butter
    - healthy cookies, muffins or breads (banana bread, blueberry muffins, oatmeal-raisin-cookies)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Peanuts, peanut butter and crackers, cheesesticks (just make sure you keep them cold/insulated), pretzels, Atkins or similar bars. I stopped eating candy bars completely once I started eating the Atkins bars. The caramel nougat one tastes just like a Milky Way or Snickers.
  • RicochetRabbit
    Options
    My new favorite is Smoked Sockeye Salmon with Rutherford & Meyer Waferbites. They are really Really small wafers, like something you would get in church for the Lord's supper. You can heat 15 wafters for 1g fat, 43 calories and 6 carbs. There are a large variety of of smoked salmon flavors and they ususally sale them in 4 oz packs so you just open and eat the whole pack or enough to share if you have a bag of carrots, etc.

:huh: