Stupid Salad Dressing!

Options
I'm back to MFP after maintaining my initial weight loss for about 6 months. Now it's time for the next 10 pounds. SO - I started yesterday logging everything. Came home for lunch and was just starving. Made a healthy salad with tuna and grabbed the creamy italian salad dressing in the fridge. Scanned the label and was THRILLED that it was only 16 calories a serving.

Gleefully, I piled on 4 Tbsp and ate my salad. When I went to log it into my diary I noticed that there were 16 servings in the bottle and that this dressing has 110 calories per 2 Tbsp. serving. AAACCCKKK!

Lesson learned - don't read labels when I'm ravenous...I'll see what I want to see. Doing much better today and don't have a stupid 220 calories of PURE FAT.

Have any of you ever misread a label only to be smacked in the face with reality after it was too late?

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm back to MFP after maintaining my initial weight loss for about 6 months. Now it's time for the next 10 pounds. SO - I started yesterday logging everything. Came home for lunch and was just starving. Made a healthy salad with tuna and grabbed the creamy italian salad dressing in the fridge. Scanned the label and was THRILLED that it was only 16 calories a serving.

Gleefully, I piled on 4 Tbsp and ate my salad. When I went to log it into my diary I noticed that there were 16 servings in the bottle and that this dressing has 110 calories per 2 Tbsp. serving. AAACCCKKK!

Lesson learned - don't read labels when I'm ravenous...I'll see what I want to see. Doing much better today and don't have a stupid 220 calories of PURE FAT.

Have any of you ever misread a label only to be smacked in the face with reality after it was too late?

Thanks for listening!

Yes! I did that with granola. Instead of having one serving, I had 4 because I misread the label. I was hungry too!
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    You're not the only one whose done this! First there's shock, then anger.....
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    Oh nooo!

Yes, I have done this... Not with salad dressing, but I have definitely misread labels. It's such a pain sometimes to read all those little words and numbers!

I put my salad dressing in a little dish and dip my fork in it. You get the flavor with a FRACTION of the calories. I tend to eat a tablespoon or less using this method.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Granola is realllllly bad and so are some chips...like tortilla chips have 140 cals for "one serving" of 7 chips. Who the heck eats only 7 chips??
  • StrongResolve
    Options
    gummibaehr:

Hmm, that's actually a good idea. I've tried to cutout using dressings altogether. I try to get as much flavour from my salads by using tomatoes, cucumber, maybe a squeeze of lemon. It goes well as a side dish.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Granola is realllllly bad and so are some chips...like tortilla chips have 140 cals for "one serving" of 7 chips. Who the heck eats only 7 chips??

That's why I rarely eat chips anymore. It's hard to detemine a serving, and they don't stick with you. If I'm going to have some empty calories I'm drinking beer! And Beer is easier to determine how much you've had.:bigsmile:
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options

That's why I rarely eat chips anymore. It's hard to detemine a serving, and they don't stick with you. If I'm going to have some empty calories I'm drinking beer! And Beer is easier to determine how much you've had.:bigsmile:

Yep, just count the empty bottles the next morning! Word of advice: don't try this with tequila!

Yesterday, while rushing around to leave for work, I filled my dressing cup with 2 tbsp of my husband's full fat, 150 calorie dressing instead of my 60 calorie dressing...just enough of a difference to really annoy me.
  • angelnik03
    Options

That totally annoys me too! LOL. I'm hoping tortilla chips come up with a light version, like Lays Light (AMAZING!).
  • kpilgrim
    Options
    I did that with cereal and had 2 servings because it was so low in calories but I forgot about all the calories, etc. in the milk! If I wasn't so tired, I could've exercised to lose some of the calories. . .