exersize with a 2 yr old following me everywere

Options
Im a stay at home mom so how do I get a variety of exercise when I have a 2 yr old toddler w/ me all the time? All I currently do is go on long brisk walks pushing him in the stroller. Sometimes I run while pushing him on the stroller but its hard to manuever when Im turning. I take him on hikes also but Im getting bored of just walking and hiking. When I try to do crunches or strength training. He gets in the way and I never finish. During his nap time is when I usually feel sleepy too so I cant do it during his naps either.

Replies

• desertrat01
    Options
    When my son was that age I moved my weights into the living room and I put him in a walker or one of those bouncy seats while I lifted. For sit ups I actually held him on my chest as weight. He thought it was fun.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him if he'd like to try to do it with you? He might dance beside you while you follow a workout DVD.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Any chance of getting in 15-20 minutes of exercise in the mornings before he wakes up? You may not be able to do large blocks of time, but every little bit helps.

Do lunges while you brush your teeth. (carefully)
    Do toe-touches while picking up toys.
    Kick laundy into the appropriate piles while sorting.
    Dance around the living room with the kiddo.
    Do five squats every time you go to the bathroom.
    Do ten wall pushups while you're waiting for something to cook in the microwave/water to boil/etc
    Stand on the balls of your feet for a count to 3 repeatedly every time you wash your hands.
    Try getting one of those trailer things for kids that you pull behind a bicycle and go for a ride.

Add all that to the walking etc and you've got a good thing going!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I always put my 20 month old in his pack 'n play with a coloring book and some crayons while I'm working out
  • isabellalabella
    isabellalabella Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me I have a two year old constantly with me and I do Jillian Michael 30d shred as well as befit in 90 early in the morning before he wakes,, if however I get up late, he just tries to join in on the fun and i still get my exercise in...
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Zumba for the Wii with toddlers is fun and funny LOL

Also 2 might be a little young for your area but look into a preschool or daycare co-op. Super cheap, normally only for 2-3 hours AND being a stay at home Mom you can work out on your days not volunteering and work out when you are too! It might be something to look into.
  • floridaboater
    floridaboater Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I lost my baby weight by taking my twins on an hour walk every day after nap...several years later I still walk but in the morning before they get up. But I do understand its difficult! Just got to fit it in when you can. :)
  • roxedy
    roxedy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I get up at the crack of dawn and get it done before my son wakes. He also likes following along (at least trying to) with aerobics so it is easy to keep him entertained with that if I do it after he is awake. :)
  • rebeccalray5
    Options
    I have an almost 2 yr old. He will be 2 in November. If I don't get up early enough, I won't pull out my treadmill or dangerous machinery. Instead I will put on a dance workout on Netflix or Hulu and make sure I don't step on him. I utilize nap time usually and on nice days I'll load him up and we'll walk to the grocery store to get dinner. I figure a little bit is better then none!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I kennel my kids when I workout.

Then again they are dogs...
  • lexiyoo
    lexiyoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have twin toddlers, I sometimes go to the YMCA where they have child watch, or while they take a nap or after they go to sleep at night! They go to bed at 8 . Sometimes, I'll get up at 6 before they get up at 7.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    DANCE! =) Plaything with kids is so damn fun! Use him as a weight.. =p Put in an exercise video, maybe he'll do it with you =) Tell him to be your cheering squad!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was two, she did the bouncy seat and the Johnny Jump-up. That was good for about 30 minutes. Add Barney DVD and Cheerios and I could count on an hour.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I wake up before they do. It's much easier than trying to schedule it during the day, and you get some time to yourself before the day begins.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You know- my grandson is 2 1/2, and I always say I need to channel his energy- I teach fitness classes all week long but nothing makes me more exhausted than after he goes home, we run, chase, play all over for hours! That is not the same as a routine workout, but it will definitely give you a calorie burn- have fun with it, and I'd do the strength training during naptime or before he wakes up or after bedtime. You can do it- it takes discipline just like any other fitness challenge (for me I just cannot work out at home- but that is me)
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What about at night when she goes to bed? I did the same kinds of workouts with my boy.. walking with stroller/carrier and jogging with stroller. Otherwise I did workout vids at home or ran by myself while hubby watched him.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a 3 yr old (which does make a difference in activity level) and she simply follows HIM around and does everything he does. She says she's usually exhausted after 30 minutes of running, jumping, swinging, dancing, playing, playing and more playing. I've heard of this from more than one fitness guru, too. :-)
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I dont have a 2 year old child to work around but I do have a 4 leg kid that loves working with me. Her name is Killer and it's her pic over there
    <~~~~~ Its hysterical how she intertwines between my legs and dashes back and forth...she watches every move.

Anyway...sorry I derailed your thread. Stand strong and I wish you much success in this endeavor.
  • Cheesburgerlover
    Cheesburgerlover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice and feedback people.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I wish I could still put mine in a stroller on some days, LOL!

My 4 and 7 year old serenade me with a cacophony of "why? what? how come? what for? why? can i?" while I'm trying to exercise... :laugh: I love the little monkeys anyway.

I've found I have to wait until hubby is home, and then I exercise after supper. Not ideal, but it's the only thing working for me at the moment.