Lifting Gloves? Or No Lifting Gloves...?

Options
I just started lifting! :happy: and i read somewhere that grip strength can sometimes give out before whatever muscle your working's strength. The book I was reading advised me to wear them if it helped me lift heavier. BUT, another book's author made a point not to, suggesting that grip strength should increase along with every other muscle. Do you agree?

Just finished my workout about an hour ago, and I have these things.
51CA6579-D026-4B0F-A8FE-2E040FEDF2ED-1310-000000ECADB3B261.jpg

My brother told me if I don't use gloves I'll end up with "man hands." ???? Let me know what you think! Thanks

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't have man hands but I did find that I didn't have as good as a grip with gloves so I ditched them. If for some reason you get to the point where you can't grip something due to grip strength, you could always re-evaluate.

Also just moisturize your hands and there shouldn't be an issue.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Lifting gloves don't really help with grip strength, but they do keep you from getting calluses.

As far as whether grip strength should increase with every other muscle, you'll get varying opinions on that. I would say that while grip strength is important, I'd rather my barbell row, for example, be limited my how much I can pull, rather than how much I can grip. If a weak grip is an issue, it can always be trained separately.
  • katrina1025
    katrina1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've always worn gloves when lifting. I wear my college ring, a ring from graduation (that matches one my mother and sister have) and my wedding rings. I don't ever take them off (that way I don't have to remember to put them back on!). If I don't wear gloves I tend to get the skin around them pinched and get bigger calluses around my rings.

Hope that helps! Happy Lifting :)
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use lifting gloves for when I'm using weights and also for the rowing machine. If I don't, I get blisters and caluses on my hands.

Plus when I wear them I look like Lara Croft, which makes me feel extra bada$$ and motivates me to work harder.

Just personal preference, though :)
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    well i never wanted to wear gloves for weight lifting because i am all hot as it is. but the last couple of times i noticed that skin on my hands gets a little roughened... no now i am wondering...
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    Get used to them. Much better grip bare handed, use chalk though. Unless you're a hand model or something.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    The set I use has padded bars so I haven't really had any problems so far
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My hands look the same way!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I use them because if I don't I get calluses. Personally, I don't think they have anything to do with grip strength.
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Get used to them. Much better grip bare handed, use chalk though. Unless you're a hand model or something.

chalk! thank you. definitely not a hand model :)
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use lifting gloves for when I'm using weights and also for the rowing machine. If I don't, I get blisters and caluses on my hands.

Plus when I wear them I look like Lara Croft, which makes me feel extra bada$$ and motivates me to work harder.

Just personal preference, though :)

haha i agree! i do feel pretty awesome. hmm i guess its just a matter of whether i want to deal with calluses or not. just didnt want to create "man hands," whatever that meant :)
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    & to be more precise...

Gloves add more distance between your hands and the bar which is why you'll have a better grip without them.

With regards to grip strength, I don't think they make a different. I think you might have them confused with "lifting straps" which are used for pulling exercises where the grip tends to give out before the muscles which are the primary focus of the exercise being done.

Chalk reduces friction & improves grip.

:)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Most purists would laugh at someone wearing them but at the same time, if you like them then who cares? They won't prevent callouses but they will definitely help. Personally I think callouses are a badge of honor and a woman with them would garner respect. Who wants a dainty little princess anyway?

I'll second the chalk notion too. It's very helpful.