What exactly is the best way for a woman to begin lifting ?

Options
I keep hearing people say that they started lifting or they lift 2-3 times a week to help them on their weight loss journey. I tend to be a hardcore cardio centered individual. I have in the past utilized Jillian Michael's DVD's, 30-45 mins a day as well as use my elliptical for an hour a day. (However lately my workouts have been elliptical centered).

I keep hearing this term of lifting and I am not sure what it involves and as a woman what I can do to get started. I want to be toned and get some awesome definition as well as get a little help getting the last 15 lbs off. Any of you ladies that have been lifting, can you offer me any advice on how to get started? What is the best steps? Basically what should I do when I enter the gym in regards to lifting?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Message me your e-mail and when I will get home I will send you the 5 word docs I have on what you can do with pictures and how to get started and so on. :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, StongLifts, or New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start. There are groups for Strong Lifts and New Rules that you can join, too.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts 5x5(I have an app on my phone). I am few weeks into the program and love it. There is also a group on MFP to help you. Starting Strength has also been really highly recommended.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer. I can't emphasize that enough. I have been lifting for about three months and having a trainer is everything. It is a worthwhile investment.

If you can't afford one, find someone at the gym to partner with or find someone here to help you get started by giving you a routine that they did.

I am not a good choice, though, because my routine is limited by a torn rotator cuff (not from lifting - ski accident) so it is modified. :happy:
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Message me your e-mail and when I will get home I will send you the 5 word docs I have on what you can do with pictures and how to get started and so on. :)

Can you send me that, too? I will message you. K?
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer. I can't emphasize that enough. I have been lifting for about three months and having a trainer is everything. It is a worthwhile investment.

If you can't afford one, find someone at the gym to partner with or find someone here to help you get started by giving you a routine that they did.

I am not a good choice, though, because my routine is limited by a torn rotator cuff (not from lifting - ski accident) so it is modified. :happy:

yes! Not saying that you have to maintain one for the rest of your life. But the right one will keep you motivated, teach you correct form, and give you tips on anything you have questions about.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started on the machines at the gym. My gym didn't have a good free weight section - just some dumbbells and a smith machine that was always occupied by a small tribe of college boys, so I went with the machines. Got good results, too, but recently switched to getting my own bench and barbell, so I can do it at home. I already knew many of the basic moves, and what I didn't, I googled. Free weights are so much better. Even lifting a lighter amount than I did on the machines, it's a better workout.

Start with a weight that's heavy enough to be a challenge, but not so heavy that you can't complete it with good form. Move up when it stops being a challenge.
  • kellyhighhopes
    kellyhighhopes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Really interested in getting started with lifting weights too. Would like some ideas of workouts I can do at home with the free weights I already have.
  • slenderme2012
    slenderme2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would also like ideas for using hand weights and any exercise ideas to help firm chest muscles.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What I do is: (and I just started end of Feb) I make sure to get a full body workout even if it takes forever to come back around to the workouts I make sure to do them in the same order. I do 5 separate workouts in this order biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, chest. I add in legs when they are no longer sore. I have seen true results and definition using this method and to me it is maintainable as I don't feel like I have to spend more than 35-45 minutes at the gym.
    Once I learned the machines and the various exercises, I increase and choose my own weight level, what I'm comfortable with, know when to push myself, etc. Obviously it takes awhile to get comfortable.
    Since I focus on one muscle group during my workout, I REALLY focus, not just a few reps with a light weight and I'm done.
    An easy way to put it (doesn't work for everything) is to learn 3 exercises and do all 3 for that workout. For example, last night was shoulders so my current shoulder workout is:
    Overhead press, 5 sets of 10
    Cable pull (not sure of the real name) 100 reps, I just do a set of 10 on one arm, then turn around and do another set, there is rest for the opposite arm while you complete each set if that makes sense.
    Dumbbells held in front, hold straight out one at a time for 5 sets of 20, since you only lift one then the other, etc. then I get a little boost of 3 reps of both before I set the weights down.
    You could get a trainer, or watch videos, or read a book...anything to learn the proper form of the exercise. I really don't think it matters if you use a machine vs. free weights, etc. as long as you are doing the exercise properly. Don't use light weight if you can lift heavy, go for it. If you can handle 10-12 reps and it is still easy at the end, you are not lifting heavy enough. You won't bulk up and get all manly either.
  • stephgreene
    Options
    I've lifted before, but I'm really not ready to start with free weights again until I lose more weight. I am starting 3 days a week, body resistance ONLY. So, my routine to start off looks like this:

Squats, Planks, Leg Lifts, Pushups

Eventually in a week or two I'll add in:

Dips, Lunges, Side Planks, Bicycle Crunches.

Just google it! You'll get strength from your own body!