Sudden scale drop

Options
After weeks and weeks of giving up alcohol, working out a minimum of 5x a week, sticking to 1200 calories a day and actually gaining 2lbs, while not shrinking inches in my trouble areas. The scale was becoming my enemy.

Then suddenly after taking a weekend off of exercise- having a little wine and a few cheat meals I got on the scale to find I finally dropped 4lbs since my last weigh in. What gives?

Replies

• stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think its the 1200 calories. I think that is too low. Your body thinks your starving so it retains the weight. Just my thoughts as just about the same thing happened to me.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    After weeks and weeks of giving up alcohol, working out a minimum of 5x a week, sticking to 1200 calories a day and actually gaining 2lbs, while not shrinking inches in my trouble areas. The scale was becoming my enemy.

Then suddenly after taking a weekend off of exercise- having a little wine and a few cheat meals I got on the scale to find I finally dropped 4lbs since my last weigh in. What gives?

I have no idea but this happens to me sometimes too. I just try not to pay attention to the scales much besides like once every week or 2
  • doodledawn
    Options
    So following that post - two days later the scale had returned to it's previous weight and the following week dropped two again. I'm using the same scale, wearing the same amount of clothing, and continuing on a healthy exercise and meal plan. I'm starting to think it's just water weight fluctuating - still 4lbs seems drastic.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Happens. I notice sometimes I'll stall a couple weeks and then have a good loss. Definitely think the cheat days could have helped if you'd been eating too low.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I too think it's the 1200 calories. I also have found that sometimes eating more calories than allotted will jump start a loss. It's just like the working out, you gotta mix things up sometimes.
  • redhotpeg
    redhotpeg Posts: 5
    Options
    must have shocked your metablosim, since your caloric intake is too low, crazy but you have to eat to lose
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    I think its the 1200 calories. I think that is too low. Your body thinks your starving so it retains the weight. Just my thoughts as just about the same thing happened to me.

No your body doesn't think it's starving. Probably more because you relaxed and quit stressing over it. Stress does ugly things to you and your body.

Great Job!!
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So following that post - two days later the scale had returned to it's previous weight and the following week dropped two again. I'm using the same scale, wearing the same amount of clothing, and continuing on a healthy exercise and meal plan. I'm starting to think it's just water weight fluctuating - still 4lbs seems drastic.

Are you weighing in same day and time of day? You can have. Upto a 4 lb variance weighing in at night then the next morning (after urinating).
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but just guessing...exercise tends to hold on more water in your body. If you continue working out without break, the body probably never gets chance to release that water until you actually withdraw from it for a short period of time? I am just guessing, baseless. Please don't bash me.
  • doodledawn
    Options
    Thanks everyone....a few days later (and behaving again) when I weighed in again it was right back to normal....so maybe it was just water. Crazy.
  • doodledawn
    Options
    I think it was just water.......it popped right back up on the scale a few days later. I know 1200 is low for many...but I'm extremely small boned and petite. I wouldn't under-eat - I'm way too health conscious.
  • Canderson00
    Canderson00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    from exercising and using muscles lactic acid builds up and you retain water. when lactic acid starts to be flushed out with that water thats when you see the weight drop. it is a natural fight method of the body. it is good to take some days off once and a while so you dont burn out.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I think it was just water.......it popped right back up on the scale a few days later. I know 1200 is low for many...but I'm extremely small boned and petite. I wouldn't under-eat - I'm way too health conscious.

yeah you dropped some water weight