What should you eat after intense cardio in the evening

Options
I'm unsure if I should be eating after my cardio. I play football twice a week for 90 minutes finishing around 10pm, i'm usually exhausted by the end. My question is should I eat anything at all, I've considered eating protien or protein shakes but is necessary to eat carbs?? How Many calories should the snack be etc etc
Thanks for your opinions in advance :)

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure if I should be eating after my cardio. I play football twice a week for 90 minutes finishing around 10pm, i'm usually exhausted by the end. My question is should I eat anything at all, I've considered eating protien or protein shakes but is necessary to eat carbs?? How Many calories should the snack be etc etc
    Thanks for your opinions in advance :)

If you are involved in high intensity endurance activity then you want to focus on carbs as well as protein. If performance is a priority you want to restore muscle glycogen sooner rather than later.

How you want to do it is up to you ie: as a drink or meal and how much you want to devote to it will depend on your calorie allowance. Having said that I would try and focus your carb allowance around your footie training because as a general recommendation you want to consume about 1g of carbs per lb of lean body mass....
  • Craigberrow
    Craigberrow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey there Mr 74. The only recovery I need for the following is mainly for the evening as when I don't play football/soccer I'm following a home work out DVD GSP Rushfit again probably around 10pm. I was wondering if eating would slow down fat loss or if the benefit of eating something helaty would help retain muscle mass.
    The 1grm of carbs pet lean pound of body mass you refered too is that prior to work out or post work out.!
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    My trainer always tells me to have both protein and carbsafter a workout as a recovery meal.... doesn't have to be huge portions
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat after workouts. A mix of Carbohydrates and Protein.
  • Craigberrow
    Craigberrow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Even if it's late in the evening?
    If so what macro nutrients should the be and how many calories?

Thanks
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    According to several different things I have read, 8 oz of chocolate milk is a great post workout drink. It provides a good ratio of carbs and protein.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Hey there Mr 74. The only recovery I need for the following is mainly for the evening as when I don't play football/soccer I'm following a home work out DVD GSP Rushfit again probably around 10pm. I was wondering if eating would slow down fat loss or if the benefit of eating something helaty would help retain muscle mass.
    The 1grm of carbs pet lean pound of body mass you refered too is that prior to work out or post work out.!

It will only slow down your fat loss if you end up consuming more calories than usual. If you stick to your calorie goals then you'll be fine (don't worry about eating late at night either ~ it doesn't somehow magically turn into fat if you stick to your calorie deficit.)

Post footie ;) I don't think it matters too much after an exercise DVD as they are less glycogen depleting...