I LIKE FOOD... alot. Please help with Bias on MFP.

Options
I love good food, especially a meal shared with great people. The social aspect of food and people are great additions to my life experience.

However, I like bad food too... and it seems when I have the least amount of time or when I'm finally home from a long day at the office ,I lose all control over my cravings for junk.

I've got a problem, anybody else feel like this?

P.S.
I've tried to get a few friends to help me on my journey, and have posted twice before on this site with no luck. I think because this site is dominated by women, it may not be as friendly to Male users. If you don't mind having a male MFP friend, please add me - I need support when I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of my junk food addiction.

I started 10 days ago: 275 looking to be 210

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Half the fun is finding new healthy recipes that you can enjoy with family and friends. :-)

I love showing off new recipes and then bragging how low the calories in it is. (I'm that person)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have plenty of guys on my friends list who have been great support to me :) I totally understand about the junk food addiction - I used to be an addict and still "relapse" sometimes!
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I love to eat!! Especially junk food. I just know when I over indulge I have to work it off. I wish you the best in your journey. Feel free to add me:)
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I love good food as well.... but we need to learn to enjoy things in moderation which can be a struggle. You need to ask yourself how bad do you want to be 210lbs? You need to think about what is important to you... then you will be ready to start your journey! Good luck to you!
  • strikeout
    Options
    I hear alot of my story in there man, even doing your own cooking ( I love to cook) didnt help me because I was making more and more comfort food. Feel free to add me and I wish you the best!
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I exercise more so I can eat more... It works.
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Same here, food has always been a big part in my life. Anyway, added!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. Good Luck on your journey. You can do it!!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I can certainly relate. I do a great job eating right if I am at home most of the day or if I have worked and planned well for the day. But as soon as I am heading for home, I want to eat everything in sight. Some days I win the fight some days I lose.
  • epcot6
    epcot6 Posts: 44
    Options
    I hear ya with the junk food addiction. I sometimes have an uncontrollable appetite and the only thing I crave is junk food. I started on MFP 10 days ago but have struggled for years controlling my weight. So far it hasn't been easy, I'm down 4 pounds as of today and can honestly say I'm starting to feel more motivated about continuing the weight loss journey. I'll add you as a friend and try to help wherever I can.

If anyone else wants to add me feel free, I could use a few more friends
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A group I socialize with includes going out for food or food is a major part of it, so I'm hip there. In my household, there's just me, my hubby and my mom - we tend to eat like stereo-typical 12-year-old kids...lots of "see-food" and comfy stuff. I'm new to this site as of yesterday, so I'll see if I've mastered the "friend request" option on profiles :)

Here's to taking back your life and getting to where you want to go and how you want to be!
  • susiebear29
    Options
    i would eat junk food all day every day if i could!!! why do they make it taste so damn good?!!! oh yeah so they can make loads of money out of us!! don't give them the satisfaction!! you can do this, you only get one life and you have already taken a big step to changing it by joining MFP!! good luck with your journey and feel free to add me!! :smile:
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    Add me! The social aspect of eating is the hardest part. Especially when the waiter says, "How about dessert?" and everyone else is getting something delicious...
    I liked the comment about "sometimes I exercise more so I can eat more." Great advice! :)
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    OMG I'M HOME. I LOVE food soo much...it doesn't love me :sad:
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sending you a friend request. I struggle with balancing social activities revolving around food with the desire to eat healthy!
  • Lisa8112
    Options
    Hi there,

I am sure it is difficult when you LOVE food and being surrounded by good food (and not so good food) in the company of your favourite people...one of the tricks I have been using (besides MFP) is to tell as many people as possible in my social circles and family about my weight loss goals. The more people you tell, the more chances you have of them holding you accountable and also being more supportive of what food gets served at get-togethers or what restaurants are chosen.

The worst thing is to keep your goals and plans to yourself. For example, if I plan to take a 20 minute power walk, I tell at least 3 people who I know will ask me, "How was your walk today/yesterday/the other day". If I got lazy and didn't do it, the am forced to tell them about it. The same goes for food, types of food and caloric intake.

Hope this helps a bit!

Good luck!
    Ciao for now,
    Lisa
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. The change in my social habits was the most difficult past for me. I hadn't realized how much of my social life revolved around food and drink. I've come a long way...but its still difficult. I just try to make good food choices and drink a lot of soda water!
    Good luck! You can do this!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love men and I love food! So we're made for each other! :drinker: But seriously, I do love my guy friends on MFP because they're brutally honest sometimes, which I need, and they can take it when I'm brutally honest back. (Not that my MFP girls aren't or can't, but since you were asking about whether we minded having a male friend I just thought I'd explain.) Feel free to add me if you'd like. I have mostly kicked my junk food habit (it was a long road), but I do still enjoy a good, greasy drive-thru meal on occasion. I'm just no longer addicted to dinner-in-a-bag. Personally I think moderation is the key. Healthy eating is important, but sometimes you just want a bag of chips! It's all about choice and awareness for me, and learning that has helped me so much! Feel free to send FR if you'd like! Good luck on your journey!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've read on these forums, lots of people struggle with this same issue! I have my days too. I do great all day - stick to my planned meals and don't even have the desire to eat junk. Then I walk in the door at home and suddenly my munchy alarm is going off full blast... Can't explain it. But it does stink.

I also like food. "Good" food, "bad" food, whatever. I've just learned that my body feels and performs better when I stay away from the junk. So for the most part I do.

It could help to allow yourself to stray from what you consider "good" food here and there. Maybe once a day you allow yourself something reasonable that you wouldn't think of as diet-worthy. That helped me pass up lots of bad choices while on my journey. I knew I could hold out through the day 'cause I was gonna have a little dessert that night.

The social aspect is tough. It can be lonely and awkward when everyone else is piling their plates high with pasta and going back for seconds on pie and ice cream, and looking at you like you're from another planet. But you learn not to care. You've gotta tell yourself that the momentary pleasure isn't worth the long-term effects, know that you're doing the right thing, and keep going. Some things that helped me through big family dinners were:
    - Serving myself last. That way everyone was already eating & closer to being done when I finally sat down to eat, & eliminated a bit of me having to watch everyone eat when I was already finished with my modest portions.
    - Starting with teeny tiny portions so I could go back for seconds if I felt like it without going over my budget.
    - Making a salad out of everything. My mother-in-law is known for making yummy but super loaded foods. I can only eat really small portions of them to stay within my budget, and then I never got full. So, I started making a big salad out of stuff. Like if we were having tacos I would put a bit of the meat and salsa on the salad. Or when we had pulled pork sandwiches I put a bit of the pork and a couple crushed tortilla strips and a smidge of BBQ sauce on it. I always got full that way and didn't go over my budget.

Good luck!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I empathize so much! I don't drink alcohol, so it seems my "going out" social life has revolved exclusively around eating, and my friends unfortunately do NOT have similar weight/health goals (nor do I think they have to, it's very personal), so I generally always get outvoted when it comes to the choice of location. Sometimes I flat out turn them down, but usually I can work on striking a balance in what I order. I also splurge on my guilty pleasures, even trashy fast food, because that keeps me from getting frustrated. I LOVE fast food, pub food, etc. and if I denied myself completely I know that would actually work against me on this journey, and likely lead to more binging, etc.

I am actually surprised by the "junk" I can fit in, as long as i am dedicated and aware :)