Scale not changing but dress size did

Options
So the scale hasn't changed in two weeks. But at my favorite clothing store I am now fitting into size 8s. Redistribution of fat and muscle? What do you all think?

Replies

• gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have lost fat and gained muscle.
  • angelarhelm
    Options
    i'd like to know what folks say here, because i'm having the same issue, and it's nice, but also frustrating.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Blessed . . . *G*
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I have only lost 4 pounds but my clothes are fitting better.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That's how it tends to work. Do NOT let that scale be your indicator of progress.
  • kmfdman
    kmfdman Posts: 1
    Options
    Possibly, but be aware of something known as "vanity sizing" - where they say its a size 8, but it might be a size 9 or 10 in reality

I remember a comparison between size 36 jeans in america where some were actually 2-3 inches too big on the waist!!

So the best point of comparison would be a dress you already own or have tried on 2 months ago and are trying on now..
  • Shed_Em
    Shed_Em Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what sort of exercising you are doing. I'd strongly recommend starting to take measurements every two weeks to one month, as I think it really helps keep you motivated for those times when the scale isn't moving. I didn't lose weight on my last weigh in, but I've lost almost an inch since I started so I don't feel as though I wasted my time (and, I have been doing weight lifting exercise).

Some expert posted awhile back (Chalean, I think?) that the first couple of weeks when doing strength training you will actually gain weight due to your body retaining water to protect your muscles, or something like that. Not sure if that applies to you, but there you go.

Anyway, keep at it no matter what! You WILL see results over the long haul. I wish you the best of luck!
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i've had the same issue. i've been a size 24 for YEARS.... but in the past 15 lbs i've lost, i've went down 2 pant sizes. just bought a pair of size 18 jeans hoping that they would fit in the next month or so. i tried them on just to see how snug they would be when i got home and they fit perfect! cant wait for the next size down although its costing me some $ in clothing! lol
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Possibly, but be aware of something known as "vanity sizing" - where they say its a size 8, but it might be a size 9 or 10 in reality

I remember a comparison between size 36 jeans in america where some were actually 2-3 inches too big on the waist!!

So the best point of comparison would be a dress you already own or have tried on 2 months ago and are trying on now..

I used to work in the Men's dept. of a well known store. Our Levi's rep came in and we were talking. Levi's themselves will tell you that they are allowed up to 1/2 inch of differentiation on the SAME size. That means the same size can be up to 1/2 inch different per pair. Not a lot of consistency there :(
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My scale has gone up 2 pounds from my last shopping trip, but I'm down a pant size. And, I know about vanity sizing. The thing is, the next size up is actually getting too big. So, I'm going with stronger muscles! I think you may be experiencing that as well!! Yippeee!!!!!
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Yes, which is why I shop at the same clothing store all the time, so that I can compare their sizes to each other. And yes my clothes don't fit me which is why I was at the store ;)
  • cathy1678
    Options
    same thing happen to me last week,i was alil upset about it but i got over it with every1 telling me i look smaller and my clothes feel looser,been working out for the past 3 months and have only lost about 5 lbs but i went from a size 18 to a 16 so i know im loosing inches..im not going to let the scale bother me:wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle mass is unlikely on a calorie deficit, but the scale is the most inconsistent way to track your progress. The number of the scale fluctuates for a variety of reasons. How much you sweat, how much you drink, sodium, hormones, how much food is in your intestines waiting to be eliminated... Heck, I "lost" four pounds between the time I woke up, and when I got back from a 4 mile run. And that's including having had breakfast and 4 cups of water. :laugh:

Not to mention that scales themselves sometimes have a two pound buffer... if you're within two pounds of your last weight, many digital scales will show your last weight. Mine does that. I have to "reset" it by weighing myself holding something that weighs about 5 pounds, then weighing myself again without it, to show a change less than two pounds.

Take measurements, go by how your clothes fit, and take periodic progress photos.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have lost fat and gained muscle.

Unlikely in two weeks.

Your muscles are going to be getting tighter which will make your body look smaller. Congrats on the progress :)

Sometimes the weight will go up as you store water from exercising, but make sure to take photos - they tell the best stories :D
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    I'm definitely seeing more of a difference in waist and hip measurements in comparison to weight loss, which I'm fine with. I know that I'm trading out the fat for muscle which is my goal. I'd much prefer to be toned than thin.
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I used to work in the Men's dept. of a well known store. Our Levi's rep came in and we were talking. Levi's themselves will tell you that they are allowed up to 1/2 inch of differentiation on the SAME size. That means the same size can be up to 1/2 inch different per pair. Not a lot of consistency there :(

I can understand that. But two things to note. 1 - for a woman a dress size matters way more than pants because we got hips! 2- I have an event to go to and non of my dresses fit nicely so I had to go and get the next size down. I stick to the same clothing store also.