Cheat days

Options
Yeah, I could do a search for other threads on this topic, but I'm interested in current, fresh answers! Okay, so since I'm new to this whole dieting thing, I'm curious: how bad are "cheat days"? Are cheat days an unwise idea in the first few weeks of dieting?

I ask because I'd like to have Saturdays as my dedicated "cheat day", but considering this is my first week, I'm concerned that it will disrupt my body's new calories-in/calories-out rhythm. I'm not saying I'm going to be lounging around scarfing down cheeseburgers and donuts, I was just thinking of making a veggie pizza and knocking back a beer or two. Just was wondering if anyone had some personal experiences or input to share on the issue.

Replies

• emilyhughes2
    Options
    I would wait! Dieting is hard enough, especially when you have a whole new routine! Besides, in order to curb the cravings I need to go without for a good while! So once you have the whole new, lower-calorie routine down, then add in the cheat day! That's what I would do (:
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP now for almost a year. Have lost alot of weight and dress sizes and shape has changed, am healthier fitter etc. Not quite where want to be but made a huge difference. All throughout have had cheat days and still had some bad days. I haven't totalty been ultra strict and not banned all things. For me this has worked and as time went on i improved ate less of bad things and made much better choices. It has been a slow process but has been very sustainable. I excercise alot and have foudn ahving cheat days just makes life easier. Have learnt to balance out my choices. On those cheat days i make sure i do a really good workout in the morning and next day and don't go crazy. Ie will eat good through and then relax in evening when have an event or something on.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would wait! Dieting is hard enough, especially when you have a whole new routine! Besides, in order to curb the cravings I need to go without for a good while! So once you have the whole new, lower-calorie routine down, then add in the cheat day! That's what I would do (:

Pretty much the only thing I've been craving is beer. I love the taste so much, and in the past have purchased non-alcoholic beers just to enjoy the flavor. I think you're right: I need to go without for a while to get control of the cravings. Otherwise it'll just be a weekly reminder of what I'm "missing out" on.
  • zestyzaftig
    Options
    I have been on MFP now for almost a year. Have lost alot of weight and dress sizes and shape has changed, am healthier fitter etc. Not quite where want to be but made a huge difference. All throughout have had cheat days and still had some bad days. I haven't totalty been ultra strict and not banned all things. For me this has worked and as time went on i improved ate less of bad things and made much better choices. It has been a slow process but has been very sustainable. I excercise alot and have foudn ahving cheat days just makes life easier. Have learnt to balance out my choices. On those cheat days i make sure i do a really good workout in the morning and next day and don't go crazy. Ie will eat good through and then relax in evening when have an event or something on.

Thanks for the input! I was contemplating just incorporating a more vigorous workout on cheat days. Since my ideal cheat day is Saturday, and I'm more active on weekends anyway, it shouldn't be hard to do. I think the trick for me is to indulge in things I like, but don't hardcore crave. Like you said, it's all about balancing choices (a lesson I'm definitely learning on this journey!).
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How about starting with a Cheat meal for Saturday with a beer to satisfy your craving?
  • zestyzaftig
    Options
    How about starting with a Cheat meal for Saturday with a beer to satisfy your craving?

I'm definitely leaning towards that right now.

I guess I should stop waffling back and forth and just do some experimenting. If I try the cheat day this Saturday, and it creates a huge temptation to fall off the wagon, then I'll know not to indulge in cheat days for a few weeks.

UGH, I just realized the state fair is opening a week from today. Pretty sure I could eat a week's worth of calories in a few hours of strolling through the fairgrounds!
  • michellematteson
    Options
    I think having a "cheat day" every single week is counter productive to losing weight. Especially if you don't log what you eat that day. Depending on your goals you can over-eat to the point that you will undo everything you did that week.

Now, a day where you have whatever you want as a treat to yourself can be good for mental and physical health. I had one of those recently. I was having a bad day, told myself "You know, I have been on this site for over 200 days, I will treat myself." I had alcohol, chocolate, seconds on dinner. I still logged everything, made sure to drink a lot of water to counteract any bloating and still lost a pound a week later.

Just my two cents, but doing a cheat day once a week is a little much. Once a month makes more sense to me.
  • zestyzaftig
    Options
    Just my two cents, but doing a cheat day once a week is a little much. Once a month makes more sense to me.

Good input! Thanks to the other responses, I'd already made the decision to log my calories anyway, so I guess it can't be quantified as completely ignoring the diet once per week. I didn't know the trick about drinking more water to combat bloat, thanks.