Am I being unfair?

Options
My birthday is this weekend. Of course my family asks me where I want to go for dinner and I declined their offer. I simply told them I am really on track now and I don't want to take a chance ruining anything by going out for a big meal. Yes I know, I can order light and get chicken and veggies, a salad or a small steak or something but it's never that easy. Even though I eat well on the outside I'd still be up a few pounds the next day, off my usual routine, and I have to work even harder to work off one meal. For my birthday this year I haven't even planned dinner or any food related activities with anyone. Sure there will be food available but not everything is revolved around dinner plans. I'm trying not to center everything around food where I may be tempted to eat something I'll regret.

My family understands and supports my healthy eating habits but they're a little disappointed in not taking me out to celebrate, which we usually do for one's bday. Money is also tight for everyone so I figure also, lets save at least $100 on dinner out.

Do you guys agree with my thought process or feel I'm being unfair to my family? Just curious on some opinions... :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    It's your day you should be able to do what you want. IMO

Happy Birthday!:flowerforyou:
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    I think you're being fair to yourself, and I think your family just wanted to do something special with you. Why not have an alternative like go see a movie or something? :) And good for you for sticking to your guns and having self control. I'm not sure I could do it.
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    Your day = your decisions. :) But enjoy it. :)
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    suggest an alternative that gets everyone moving. take a workout class together go hiking and a picnic
    or just do whatever u want.
    you're not being unfair i do not believe
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I would probably decline the offer to go out to dinner as well but you don't have to ignore your bday all together. Why don't you offer to cook (yeah, I know it's your birthday why should you cook?) and have everyone come over - or if a family member offers to host a gathering at their house bring a dish, and a board game so that the center is not food. I suggest "cards against humanity" - you'll laugh your butt off!!!

Life is far to short! Celebrate your birthday with your family who clearly love you!!

Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Nice choices, I think.

If going to a restaurant is just gonna stress you out - who wants that on your birthday?? It is YOUR day, and it should be all up to you!

PS way to stay on track!!! I would definitely go the all-out birthday binge route and regret it for about a week after :S
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are being unfair, but at the same time I can understand your family's disappointment. They want to do something nice for you all together, right? So why don't you start a new birthday tradition instead? Do something together as a family such as bowling or playing golf/mini-golf or having a picnic in a park (where you can control the food), or playing frisbee or whatever.

Congratulations on sticking to your plan and also Happy Birthday!!!!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Your birthday = your decision :) Happy early birthday :flowerforyou:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Why not make a nice birthday meal at home instead, where you control what you have? I am sure you can find a healthy dessert recipe too.
  • Annalise41
    Options
    Not at all - you are showing amazing willpower!
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My birthday is this weekend. Of course my family asks me where I want to go for dinner and I declined their offer. I simply told them I am really on track now and I don't want to take a chance ruining anything by going out for a big meal. Yes I know, I can order light and get chicken and veggies, a salad or a small steak or something but it's never that easy. Even though I eat well on the outside I'd still be up a few pounds the next day, off my usual routine, and I have to work even harder to work off one meal. For my birthday this year I haven't even planned dinner or any food related activities with anyone. Sure there will be food available but not everything is revolved around dinner plans. I'm trying not to center everything around food where I may be tempted to eat something I'll regret.

My family understands and supports my healthy eating habits but they're a little disappointed in not taking me out to celebrate, which we usually do for one's bday. Money is also tight for everyone so I figure also, lets save at least $100 on dinner out.

Do you guys agree with my thought process or feel I'm being unfair to my family? Just curious on some opinions... :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Happy Birthday! It is your day but they won't to share it with you. How about a non food get together?
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'll probably still spend time with them as always, just not around the dinner table.

And thanks for the birthday wishes :drinker: :happy:
  • fatgirlslimlady
    fatgirlslimlady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've found it difficult to find how to celebrate events and accomplishments without food, so I feel your pain! As others have suggested, try finding an alternative activity that you can all do. Time with family and friend is really the point of these get-togethers, right? I don't like group movies myself, because there's so little interaction. You could spend the day/evening at a local beach, go mini-golfing, play your favorite board/card game, whatever floats your boat. Re-establish how you celebrate things.

And happy birthday!
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you comfortable and happy. If you can muster the courage, go to a restaurant and check their menu online before you go and plan what you're going to eat and stick to it. Then, be proud of yourself that you lived in the real world and made good choices for yourself. If you're just getting on track and don't feel like you are ready for that, then don't. But it is your birthday and it's nice to have company, so if you go, go for the company and not the food. And tell them strictly no free birthday dessert stuff!

You're only being unfair if you're feeling deprived instead of compromising with yourself and achieving your goal despite obstacles.

:) It can be done!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have to contribute is this:

Thinking of it as "having to work it off" when you take a day off or eat things you wouldn't is a negative way of thinking that needs to change. Don't think of exercise as punishment for eating. You may not enjoy exercise now, but if you think you have to work 5x as hard as punishment for what you ate the day before, you'll get into a vicious cycle and maybe never learn to enjoy it. Food is not a reward. Exercise is not a punishment. They are both integral parts of living, and you're changing your habits and how you relate to them.

One day off will not reset weeks and months of progress. Time off is healthy sometimes.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i like the picnic suggestion. make a round of your healthy food from home, pack it up, take them out to a park to eat. free, healthy, still eating outside. :)
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options

Thinking of it as "having to work it off" when you take a day off or eat things you wouldn't is a negative way of thinking that needs to change. Don't think of exercise as punishment for eating. You may not enjoy exercise now, but if you think you have to work 5x as hard as punishment for what you ate the day before, you'll get into a vicious cycle and maybe never learn to enjoy it. Food is not a reward. Exercise is not a punishment. They are both integral parts of living, and you're changing your habits and how you relate to them.

One day off will not reset weeks and months of progress. Time off is healthy sometimes.

Oh gosh, maybe that came across wrong, I LOVE working out!!! I just meant if I gain a few lbs over a weekend "cheating" which I certainly don't want to do, then its just like being set back a couple weeks. I eat right all week, bring my food to work and enjoy my workouts that's why I'm so hesitant to let one meal negate all good I've done all week.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

Oh gosh, maybe that came across wrong, I LOVE working out!!! I just meant if I gain a few lbs over a weekend "cheating" which I certainly don't want to do, then its just like being set back a couple weeks. I eat right all week, bring my food to work and enjoy my workouts that's why I'm so hesitant to let one meal negate all good I've done all week.

Physiologically impossible. You might see a "gain" the next day if weigh every day, but the human body can fluctuate up to 5 lbs per day, sometimes more. One birthday dinner cannot physically undo weeks of work, even if you ate way over maintenance calories that one day.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Eat in! It's cheaper and healthier and more private. Me and my family usually do this =)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I think you should do whatever you want, its your bday afterall....that being said...I dont think it will KILL you or your diet to splurge on your birthday!!! You need to do this long term..and NEVER going out, seems, well...not at all realistic. But again, its your birthday!

My 2 cents, having lost my mom last year to cancer... FAMILY IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT than one day of eating a salad!