exercise... how do you do it??

Options
Hey guys, I need your help.

I consider myself pretty lucky, I find that when I'm exercising I really enjoy the activity. I like sweatin' and intensity and I never feel silly or self conscious. I don't have any health problems or injuries that prevent me from being active. For a lot of people, these are huge issues that prevent exercise altogether, but not me. So I should be set, right?

Well, here's the problem - MOTIVATION :(

While I DO get out for at least a walk every day, I often find it such a struggle to motivate myself for something more intense. However, when I get a good workout in I feel amazing! Shouldn't that make me want to do it more? Knowing how good it feels during and after? What is my problem!

I'm just curious as to what other people do to get themselves 'in the mood'. Do you have a favorite quote? Maybe a game you play with yourself or some other technique? This is just to give me some ideas, try something new, extra motivation never hurt anyone. Something other than me telling myself to get off my lazy *kitten* and MOVE! That just doesn't work anymore.

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    First you put your right leg in, then your left leg in, then you turn yourself around .... you do the hokey pokey....

Oh wait.

Find something you like to do...and do it. Music is helpful to get your *kitten* moving so plug in.
    I, personally, turn on my 90s rap/hip-hop...and throw around a barbell with lots of iron. Makes me feel all BA and stuff. And who doesn't wanna feel like THAT?!?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Like the ad says....JUST DO IT. Make a bargain with yourself...no Tv or no lunch or no whatever until you get out there and JUST DO IT.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Repetitin becomes habit!!! It was a struggle in the beginning and even now some days I feel drained but I go b/c I KNOW I will have that Amazing feeling of accomplishment when I am done! That's what you have to look forward to! Also mix up your workouts. I look forward to going to the gym for Zumba night, also to go swim laps, to go get my weight lifting on, etc. Also, download some hot songs that pump you up and get you in the mood to get your workout on. You will learn to love it now I hate taking my one rest day a week but know my body needs it ;)
  • IaquiChr
    Options
    I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I've been doing some good workouts for the past couple weeks but yesterday and today I barely finished a single workout. And I've felt like crap just sitting on the sofa all day doing nothing. I think it's really important that when you wake up you eat something good and then get right to exercising. I find that if I sit down and watch TV or use the computer for an hour, making myself workout is much harder. Plus if you do it in the morning you'll feel energized for the rest of the day and be more willing to do the exercise.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    seriously the only thing that keeps me motivated to go is that my gym has individual tv's for each machine so i can change the channel to whatever i want and watch to my hearts content. but the hardest part about working out is putting on those tennis shoes... there is a quote that helps me actually. it's something like, "you can be sore tomorrow, or you can be sorry tomorrow." i always know i never wanna be sorry tomorrow about not working out so i just suck it up and go. and i've never felt awful after working out.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started by paying for a TEAM class at the Lifetime. Because I'm paying for it, I will go. I added two workouts a week with my best friend, in the pool. Then added another two workouts a week by myself (all cardio). That was about a year ago. The hardest part is getting up at 430 to get out the door to do it. Once I get out of bed, on the days when it's just me, and not my class (with my husband), I usually am good to go. Tuesday I had an argument with myself to get out there and run... once I got outside and moving, I was fine. I enjoyed it. I'm not a huge runner (yet), but am working on week 1 of a 12 week program to be able to run a half marathon. Not that there are any half marathons in November, in MN, but I have to have a goal to keep motivated. I want the 5k's and 7k's to be easier. I'm also planning on a 10k in October.
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5k and the exercise sessions only average anywhere from 20-30 minutes in length, so I figure to do that three times a week and to end up feeling better about myself those three days is worth getting up early to do it.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I personally make myself go to the gym, when I don't go I feel bad because I know I should have went. But I love to go and burn calories and come out sweating because it makes it worth it. Also use music at our gym we have tv's that we can watch or I bring my IPOD or something to listen to if I don't want to watch TV. But for me I don't have a quote or anything I go by I JUST DO IT!!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's tough to workout and I do have days where I really don't want to work out. The way I stay motivated is to change it up all the time. I get bored easily with the same thing, so I like to try new classes and give myself a new challenge.

Join a group on here...some groups have you check in with you workouts daily and you are helping a team towards a goal or striving towards your own personal goal. If that's something that you enjoy, that may be helpful.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    200 - 400 mg of caffeine always motivates me and keeps the intensity level high. It takes about 15 minutes to kick in. Jet Alert is around $3.43 for 90 doses at Walmart.
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    Sometimes good music does it for me.. Whenever I've put a new playlist on my ipod, I can't wait to work out to listen to it :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I make a deal with myself that I will start and if I don't feel like continuing after 10 mins of doing it, I'm "allowed" to stop. I never do. By the time I'm 10 mins into it, I'm into it. Also, I visualize what I want my results to be...
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    ALSO a huge motivational think for me is having workout friends it really holds you accountable daily to workout if you don't have any, make some at the gym (I did) also I joined a outside running team of strangers and have already made some great friends out of it and run faster and farther then I would if I was by myself.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm just not in the mod, lke tonite, to get up early to go to the Y. But I know if I don;t I won't make the goals I have set for myself.

Plus at $0/month it would be a waste of money so I just go! lol
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    Routine helps a whole lot. When you are trying to fit in exercise, it's easy to procrastinate. I also find that if I pair it with other activities, and do the exercise first, it gives additional motivation. For example, all trips to the grocery store or farmers' market begin with a trip to the gym first for me.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    First I limp to the side like my leg was broken
    Shakin' and twitchin' kinda like I was smokin'
    Crazy wack funky
    People say ya look like M.C. Hammer on crack, Humpty
    That's all right 'cause my body's in motion
    It's supposed to look like a fit or a convulsion
    Anyone can play this game
    This is my dance, y'all, Humpty Hump's my name
    No two people will do it the same
    Ya got it down when ya appear to be in pain
    Humpin', funkin', jumpin',
    jig around, shakin' ya rump,
    and when the dude a chump pump points a finger like a stump
    tell him step off, I'm doin' the Hump.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    For me setting running goals helps - knowing I HAVE to train certain amounts to attain the goal (a particular distance race). But, I totally get where you're coming from. My sister says it's like childbirth - it's painful and awful and then you feel amazing right after and want more, and then you get some distance from the good feeling and don't want to do it again lol I think sometimes just forcing yourself to go is the best you can do until it becomes habit and you kinda crave it.

Also, I love this: "'I totally regret that workout," said no one ever" lol

Good luck!
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me it's like taking a shower......not optional except for lazy days like Sunday. Seriously, I really enjoy classes. I have a good schedule that I follow at the gym every week. I take the same classes and look forward to seeing the same people at the classes. Before and after class is a little bit of social interaction.
  • wallisjules
    Options
    I like this..........

It will hurt
    It will take time
    It will require willpower
    You will need to make healthy decisions
    It requires sacrifice
    You will need to push you body to its max
    there will be temptation
    But I promise you when you reach your goal its
    WORTH IT
  • mamakjknows
    Options
    All of the above... :) Seriously though--I have friends at work and we really push each other to be accountable even though we don't work out together. The gym that I joined is midway between work and home, so there's no excuse not to stop--especially since I'm paying for it. But the biggest motivation--this journey is all about me, and I want to look good and feel good, so I just do what I need to do to accomplish that!