Brown bag lunches?

Options
intergalactick
intergalactick Posts: 18 Member
I'm going to need to start bringing "brown bag lunches" again. (actually, I have more of a bento box) What are some low-cal options I could do? I'm sick of cold cuts (except chicken and ocassionally ham) so I don't have many options. I could bring pretty much anything else. I can also bring microwaveable things. Any ideas?

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I usually bring a container of mixed veggies to microwave and then if I have left over meat that was grilled I bring that or some hard boiled eggs/egg whites for protein. Also I have my greek yogurt for snack in the afternoon.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Different types of salads work well - with added protein i.e. chicken breast, egg, tuna, salmon, beans, etc,
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Chop up some veggies and make avocado hummus
    All you need for that is some store bought hummus and some avocado puree (just blend it all together, about 2 tbsp of each)
    For your protein how about a tuna salad stuffed pepper or tomato
    Maybe a bite of dark chocolate to brighten your day

Goodluck!
  • erin_kercheval
    erin_kercheval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Aside from conventional salads/sandwiches, (I really don't like cold cuts either, and so I try to avoid them since they're not very healthy either!) these are my go-to lunches lately:

Veggie sandwich, I just made this up - it is just baby spinach & cucumber slices piled onto whole grain bread, spread with one laughing cow cheese wedge (today I had the garden veggie variety, so good!). I bring the veggies in a bag to work & put the sandwich together at lunchtime though (and toast the bread if you can, makes it even better), this way the bread doesn't get soggy and the cheese doesn't dry out. I only had one slice of bread with me today, so it was "open-face". Still worked. :)

Garden Veggie Wraps - baby spinach and/or lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, tomato, avocado, etc... really any mix of veggies you have on hand will work, along with some shredded cheese. You can wrap it up in plastic or parchment paper to take to work the next day. Pour some red wine vinegar on it and it's really good & low fat. You would want to bring the vinegar (or whatever other dressing you opt to use) in a separate container. I have a tiny tupperware dressing container I use.

Tuna salad without mayo - my fav. recipe here:http://www.macaroniandcheesecake.com/2009/09/deli-tuna-salad.html
    Either on bread or quite good on a bed of baby spinach

Chicken salad (you can make with greek yogurt for less fat than mayo)

I also like to make big batches of soup on Sundays when I have time, then freeze them into small containers.

Another thing I have been trying to do is think in terms of "complete proteins" for my meals & snacks. When coming up with lunches, I try to think less in terms of what a "normal" meal might be and just add some stuff together, especially if I'm lacking groceries. Maybe lunch one day is triscuits w/ a slice of cheese, some baby carrots & a piece of fruit. Some ideas here:
    http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2012/06/protein-and-weight-loss?currentPage=2
  • intergalactick
    intergalactick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :)
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    make 2 portions of dinner and bring 1 for lunch the next day.. cold cuts/bread/sandwiches will kill your sodium in a hurry.