Junk foods in diet OK?

Options
My wife and I recently started a diet plan to lose weight which basically consists of staying around 1,200 calories/day and exercising 3 times per week. What we're wondering is if it's ok to add in some junk food type stuff (chips, pop, ice cream, etc) as long as we end the day at 1,200 calories. What do you guys think?

Replies

• Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    with only 1200 cals i say avoid it until you've mastered / gotten the hang of portion control use ur allotted cals for more nutritious foods and you'll see the benefits sooner and clearer.

just my op
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Eat in a way that is sustainable for you long term. If you would have a hard time sticking to your plans if you didn't eat a little junk, by all means, do it in moderation. That said, you need to revisit those calorie goals. It is exceedingly rare for men especially to restrict themselves to 1200 cals a day.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    On 1,200 calories a day I don't think there's room in a healthy diet for junk food -- the food isn't filling or nutritious. But if it's just a matter of losing weight go for it. I maintained my weight for years on junk food and exercise. I'm paying for it now but at the time it worked brilliantly.

Good luck to the both of you. :smile:
  • dwightkshrute
    dwightkshrute Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that. So I'm 30 years old, I'm 5' 8'' and weight 170. I'd like to get down to 150 or 145. What's a more reasonable calroie goal?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    wow--1200 calories for ANYONE is quite low but for a man is rather unfeasible.

Regarding your question--yes, you can have SOME junk food but with a calorie allotment that low you need a multivitamin and to maybe stick to 100 calories or so of "junk."
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Better to have a little here and there, now and again, than to completely deprive yourself and end up binging.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Agree with everyone above.

While every person is different, I have found (personally and in hearing other's stories) that restriction usually ends in over-eating it later. If this is a LIFESTYLE change, stick with cals and macros. But don't beat yourself up if you have a choco chip cookie, either. And 1200 is wayyyy too low for an adult male.