It's time to admit that I have a serious addiction...

Options
It is time to admit it... My friends and family have known for a long time but I've been in denial. I have a problem. "An addiction that is evident..." I was told by a friend and co-worker today.
I'm addicted to training! In the last 150 days I've had 128 work outs. 129 before I go to sleep tonight. If I'm not training I'm thinking about it. Sometimes while I'm icing down a body part after a particularly intense work out I'm thinking about my next training session. Sometimes, on my way to the coffee shop to study and drink some liquid motivation I end up on auto pilot.... which means I end up at the pool. Its a good thing I sometimes keep a suit/towel and goggles in my car. I haven't reached some goals, yet. I still have a long ways to go before I'm satisfied, if ever. Isn't it all about the journey anyways?

Surely I'm not the only one with this problem. Please share your stories of training addiction or maybe just share a favorite memory of a work out, hike, race or some physical challenge that you have worked to overcome.

Replies

• azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see. I tell people about the workout I did that morning. What my next goal is. How long I've been stuck at this weight, but that's ok, because at least I'm not gaining. I workout M/W/TH with a trainer at 530. I add M/F evenings in the pool with a friend. I'm training for a half marathon which adds Tuesday and Saturday. I have missed a week of working out in the past 18 months because I was sick - breathing made me cough and I wasn't sleeping - and even still went to the club twice to sit in the steam room. So, I'm right up there with you on the workout numbers.

On the plus side, one coworker started exercising because of my example, to the point that today she told me the only reason she's still doing it is because of my example. Another one appreciates my stories because it gets her to the club so she can tell me the horrible workout her trainer put her through (we try to top each other).

Does that count?
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Workouts are the best ever when they start at 4:30 in the morning and run until 6:30. People at work can't believe that I do this EVERYDAY. And then they complain about the way they look and the way they feel around lunch time after a decadent lunch and pastry dessert!

To myself I say---Hello Broccoli and red pepper, it's been 24 hours. Miss me???
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I know I'm addicted because I spend my only free time (lunch) killing myself at the gym. People at work think I'm dying when I stumble back into the office and inhale food. I no longer fantasize about sex, I fantasize about workouts.
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    MFP has made me more obsessive about my food & exercise in general. Constantly fiddling and calcualting calories. The good ole days of shoveling food aimlessly into my word hole are gone. I can certainly think of worse addictions. Now that you are aware you have "a problem", work on scaling it back so it's not such a huge part of your day/thought process. Think of all the other great things you have going in your life, they deserve your full attention as well.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know I'm addicted because I spend my only free time (lunch) killing myself at the gym. People at work think I'm dying when I stumble back into the office and inhale food. I no longer fantasize about sex, I fantasize about workouts.

Dani I think you need some Rack PT!! :P

Awesome everybody. Lets hear more. :)
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My husband just told me today he doesn't want to hear anymore about my workouts or achievements because all I ever talk about is working out. You are not the only one.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Me too! My co-workers can't believe I head to the gym at 5.30 in the mornings. When I drive to work afterwards i am thinking about what to do the next day. On my 'free' day I usually end doing a DVD work out. I search the web for inspirations quotes. I love buying new work out gear. I trawl MFP for inspirational stories and tips I can use.
    I am so much more aware now of what I am eating and how I have to kill myself at the gym if I cheat.
    I could be borderline addicted I suppose, but I suppose there's worse things to be addicted too.
  • FrostyBev
    Options
    My husband just told me today he doesn't want to hear anymore about my workouts or achievements because all I ever talk about is working out. You are not the only one.

:sad: :sad:

@Mummyadams I love your profile pic.

Let's hear more. I'll check back... after my swim. Off to the pool I go. :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    LOL - I had a total knee replacement last Friday, and won't be able to drive my car for 6 weeks....
    Last Thursday night I left the gym after my last workout, and promptly burst into tears because I won't be able to get to "my gym" until I can drive again - I sobbed my little heart out for 30 minutes.....

I phoned my trainer today (week post surgery) to set up a session at a gym close to my house for next Tuesday......his first words "are you serious??"

"hell yes boy - I am serious!!" 7 days of not working out is doing my head in!

Oh and I always have two packed gym bags in the car - one with my gym gear, and one with swimming gear!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I may or may not have gotten some recently. :blushing:
  • FrostyBev
    Options

I may or may not have gotten some recently. :blushing:

:drinker: :drinker: :happy: :drinker: :drinker: